Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Sherlock

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Sherlock »

So far Green Tara, Vajrapani, Red Garuda, Dark Blue Garuda, Sang and Serkyem, Odzer Chenma, Short and Medium Thuns again, Naga.
Kris

Post by Kris »

thanks,
:twothumbsup:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

Sherlock wrote:So far Green Tara, Vajrapani, Red Garuda, Dark Blue Garuda, Sang and Serkyem, Odzer Chenma, Short and Medium Thuns again, Naga.
thanks, im still not getting some of the pronounciations, please let me know if you got all the practices thus far thanks.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

RikudouSennin wrote:
Sherlock wrote:So far Green Tara, Vajrapani, Red Garuda, Dark Blue Garuda, Sang and Serkyem, Odzer Chenma, Short and Medium Thuns again, Naga.
thanks, im still not getting some of the pronounciations, please let me know if you got all the practices thus far thanks.
Sent you a PM with my notes, hope that helps.

:smile:
Kris

Post by Kris »

T. Chokyi wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote:

hey thanks, going over your notes now, wish i was better at note taking like you. :thumbsup:

i honestly had no idea it was going to be this many transmissions

now i need just practice.

that throne rinpoche was seated on was AWESOME, with the symbol etc
i really like how he gives teaching im all the way in america but feel like im in front row,it also has a very monasery/temple feeling :thinking:

:thanks:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Jenue

Post by Jenue »

T. Chokyi wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote:

Could i also receive those notes? English is not my first language and i missed some names and keywords.
Also, how does one start practicing all these collective practices? Books such as the thun book imply that you need to be registered with the ChNN community.

:namaste:
Kris

Post by Kris »

Also, how does one start practicing all these collective practices?
Ati Guru Yoga, Song of Vajra

Join DC, get the books,there rare....like treasure,apparent but especially to those with capacity

i guess
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

To purchase the restricted books you need to be a member of the DC. But don't forget that even the Tuns are considered secondary practices. The primary practice is Ati Guru Yoga, which ChNN transmitted during the first day of the retreat. So don't feel like you have to wait to start practicing until you become a member. I believe that there is a trasnscription of sorts of the Song of Vajra on the webcast page under the files link. If you recieved the transmission for it and have any questions about practicing the Ati Guru Yoga with the white A you can PM me or another member of the DC for clarification. My advice for newcomers (I am fairly new myself) is to start incorporating this essential practice of Guru Yoga and Song of Vajra into your daily lives. If you feel that this may be a path for you then by all means become a member of the DC. You help contribute to the cause and get access to an amazing amount of material. There's a lot out there so don't feel like you have to start practicing everything. And of course don't forget Rinpoche's advice on being present in your daily life. He considers this an essential practice that is often overlooked.

Rikudou Sennin: I'm glad that you finally got to participate in a retreat. Make sure to catch the next World Wide Transmission, I am not sure when it is, sometime this fall, though. Shoot me a PM, I would like to hear how you are doing.

Peace,
Troy
Last edited by CrawfordHollow on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

:good:

For beginners, if you have time:

The Purification of the Six Lokas (Inner Rushen) practice for at least one one-hour-session a day until completed and/or signs.

Ganapuja at least two to four times a month (see the Tun book, the book by Rinpoche titled Ganapuja, and the two DVD's on Ganapuja)

Daily Yantra Yoga practice (get the main (unrestricted) book on it, and the two-DVD set from Shang Shung Institute).

Tun's, Semdzin's, Secret Rushen, Song of the Vajra.

Study GURUYOGA by Chögyal Rinpoche, The Precious Vase, Rinpoche's book on The Song of the Vajra, and the Chöying Dzöd (and/or its commentary) by Longchen Rabjam, both translated into English by Richard Barron (Lama Chökyi Nyima). (According to Paltrul Rinpoche, the study of this text "suffices as the essential practice"). See: Song of Encouragement to Read the Seven Treasuries.

Get Chülen pills from Siddhi Energetics to rebuild possibly-lost 'Pre-Natal Jing', maybe do a cleanse along with Purification Medicine Treatment from Shang Shung Institute, and study Birth, Life and Death According to Tibetan Medicine and the Dzogchen Teaching by Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche.
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kris

Post by Kris »

:good: :good:

:applause: :bow:

Thanks...the smileys say the rest

have met with a few dc members in my city already so things are looking positive.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Jenue wrote:

Could i also receive those notes? English is not my first language and i missed some names and keywords.
Also, how does one start practicing all these collective practices? Books such as the thun book imply that you need to be registered with the ChNN community.

Jenue, yes, if you were tuned in when Rinpoche was on live and you received the transmission, I can send you my notes, just let me know.

Sounds like you watched and received the transmission, if you did you know that he gave the short tun again on Sept 6th so that is usually available at Shang Shung Institute. if you have the lung (transmission) LIVE when Rinpoche was on and actually gave the transmission, then you got the transmission and can practice the short Thun. You would have to read Shang Shung Institute website for ordering instructions. PM me that you did watch on September sixth and yes I'll send you my notes, I don't see why not, the notes maybe helpful, my notes don't include all the mantras however, as I don't need to write everyone down, for example, I have the mantra booklet, but I don't know if that was restricted, don't remember right now, its the one that is called "Mantras and Invocations", there are numerous mantras in the book, both in Tibetan and a kind of phonetic English. You can go to the Shang Shung Institute website and look that one up. Maybe 90% or more so of the mantras etc which Rinpoche gave on the sixth are included in that book, and it comes with a nice CD how to pronounce the mantras etc... for example a series of Guru Yoga in there includes: Song of Vajra, Refuge and Bodhichitta, Invocation of Guru Garab Dorje, Invocation of Peaceful Vajrapani (Rinpoche gave this for example) Invocation of Guru Padmasambhava. Then there are practices of Yidam Transformation:
Avalokiteshvara Khorwa Tongtrug, I believe he gave that transmission, Green Tara (Rinpoche gave that) also includes Action Mantras of Tara all of them (he gave those), there are others theres Guru Tragphur, Vajrapani Red Garuda, Black or Dark Blue Garuda, and Shirto Practice (gave those).
The Ganapuja's are in there, Long Life Practices, Guru Amitayus, Practice of Mandarava (gave)
Purifications, Twenty five spaces of Samantabhadra (gave) Protections, Invocation and Mantra of Oser Chenma, Rite of the Namkha, Empowering Lungta, Mantras of the Four Methods of Development, Dorjei Kotrab Vajra Armor, For Transforming Bad Days in Good Days (gave all those).
Guardians for Short Tun, Medium Tun, Long Tun (he gave short Tun again last night Sept 6th for example)
Rite of Naga (gave) Rite of Sang, Serkyem of the Eight Classes (yep)

So, the point being is that if you look up this book, you can have all those mentioned above in one place, with the correct everything, they are written out, they are pronounced correctly for you on the CD which is included. Also, to answer your question about the practices. Rinpoche has stressed that the Guru Yoga of the White Ah and Tigle is what you should learn to do, The stress is on getting into the state of instant presence. He asks that you learn this practice, and apply this practice.

Secondly, you would do the practices he gave lung for when you need them, you start (your question) with knowing what they are for, who they are from is a good start too,for example some are from Chang Chub Dorje who was Rinpoche's teacher, there is Shitro of Migur Dorje for example, and when you need them you do them, also you have a choice, when you would like to do them you do them and apply them as needed when needed. You might like to give a Naga offering, you would have to know when, on what day, so you would need the Calendar sold through Shang Shung Institute or you won't know when to do that practice, Rinpoche always tells you some pith instruction before giving the lung, he gave that for Naga offering for example, so you can get booklets on practices and also ask senior students or teachers within his community, writing the DC for example. If you want to know a specific practice it is good to order a booklet for that, and become familiar with the practice, getting into those practices yourself slowly, slowly, learn the mantra, learn the visual and understand the transformation. Rinpoche often says that a small retreat, perhaps so many days, or one or two weeks is good. Rinpoche stresses working with circumstance, which means if you can do that do it, if you want to do that do it, so to begin you can find out what each one is for, you can do a study of each one, I know one fellow that began doing a search online for everything that was mentioned, beginning at the Institute's online bookstore.

Membership is a good idea if you want to become more serious about Dzogchen, this step can also be very fruitful for your studies because you have the access to the archive. You can go over what Rinpoche said in the webcasts, so if some of the webcast cut out on you because you had a thunderstorm and your connection went down or there was something else going on, you can listen again.

:anjali:
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

got this email.

Merigar West is happy to announce thaton 18 September 2012 from 3 pm to 5 pm

it will be possible to learn the Dance of the 12 A KALONGDORJIKAR - The Universal Magical Vajra Dance of Space (Universe)

in closed webcast from the Merigar West Gonpa led by Prima Mai for everyone who has already knowledge of one or two or all three Vajra Dances we practice so far and are members of the Dzogchen Community with Transmission of Dzogchen Knowledge and Teachings.
Jenue

Post by Jenue »

This is an extremely ellaborate and helpful response! thank you so much!

T. Chokyi wrote:

Jenue wrote:

Jenue, yes, if you were tuned in when Rinpoche was on live and you received the transmission, I can send you my notes, just let me know.

Sounds like you watched and received the transmission, if you did you know that he gave the short tun again on Sept 6th so that is usually available at Shang Shung Institute. if you have the lung (transmission) LIVE when Rinpoche was on and actually gave the transmission, then you got the transmission and can practice the short Thun. You would have to read Shang Shung Institute website for ordering instructions. PM me that you did watch on September sixth and yes I'll send you my notes, I don't see why not, the notes maybe helpful, my notes don't include all the mantras however, as I don't need to write everyone down, for example, I have the mantra booklet, but I don't know if that was restricted, don't remember right now, its the one that is called "Mantras and Invocations", there are numerous mantras in the book, both in Tibetan and a kind of phonetic English. You can go to the Shang Shung Institute website and look that one up. Maybe 90% or more so of the mantras etc which Rinpoche gave on the sixth are included in that book, and it comes with a nice CD how to pronounce the mantras etc... for example a series of Guru Yoga in there includes: Song of Vajra, Refuge and Bodhichitta, Invocation of Guru Garab Dorje, Invocation of Peaceful Vajrapani (Rinpoche gave this for example) Invocation of Guru Padmasambhava. Then there are practices of Yidam Transformation:
Avalokiteshvara Khorwa Tongtrug, I believe he gave that transmission, Green Tara (Rinpoche gave that) also includes Action Mantras of Tara all of them (he gave those), there are others theres Guru Tragphur, Vajrapani Red Garuda, Black or Dark Blue Garuda, and Shirto Practice (gave those).
The Ganapuja's are in there, Long Life Practices, Guru Amitayus, Practice of Mandarava (gave)
Purifications, Twenty five spaces of Samantabhadra (gave) Protections, Invocation and Mantra of Oser Chenma, Rite of the Namkha, Empowering Lungta, Mantras of the Four Methods of Development, Dorjei Kotrab Vajra Armor, For Transforming Bad Days in Good Days (gave all those).
Guardians for Short Tun, Medium Tun, Long Tun (he gave short Tun again last night Sept 6th for example)
Rite of Naga (gave) Rite of Sang, Serkyem of the Eight Classes (yep)

So, the point being is that if you look up this book, you can have all those mentioned above in one place, with the correct everything, they are written out, they are pronounced correctly for you on the CD which is included. Also, to answer your question about the practices. Rinpoche has stressed that the Guru Yoga of the White Ah and Tigle is what you should learn to do, The stress is on getting into the state of instant presence. He asks that you learn this practice, and apply this practice.

Secondly, you would do the practices he gave lung for when you need them, you start (your question) with knowing what they are for, who they are from is a good start too,for example some are from Chang Chub Dorje who was Rinpoche's teacher, there is Shitro of Migur Dorje for example, and when you need them you do them, also you have a choice, when you would like to do them you do them and apply them as needed when needed. You might like to give a Naga offering, you would have to know when, on what day, so you would need the Calendar sold through Shang Shung Institute or you won't know when to do that practice, Rinpoche always tells you some pith instruction before giving the lung, he gave that for Naga offering for example, so you can get booklets on practices and also ask senior students or teachers within his community, writing the DC for example. If you want to know a specific practice it is good to order a booklet for that, and become familiar with the practice, getting into those practices yourself slowly, slowly, learn the mantra, learn the visual and understand the transformation. Rinpoche often says that a small retreat, perhaps so many days, or one or two weeks is good. Rinpoche stresses working with circumstance, which means if you can do that do it, if you want to do that do it, so to begin you can find out what each one is for, you can do a study of each one, I know one fellow that began doing a search online for everything that was mentioned, beginning at the Institute's online bookstore.

Membership is a good idea if you want to become more serious about Dzogchen, this step can also be very fruitful for your studies because you have the access to the archive. You can go over what Rinpoche said in the webcasts, so if some of the webcast cut out on you because you had a thunderstorm and your connection went down or there was something else going on, you can listen again.

T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Jenue wrote:This is an extremely ellaborate and helpful response! thank you so much!
You're welcome.
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

Would somebody mind PMing me the mantra that turns bad days good? I'm getting oral surgery on a day when my bLa is going to be between my neck and temples (figures...), so I'm a bit worried about doing some damage to my bLa. I've received the mantra a few times, but I've never seen it written out. Thanks!
JR
username

Post by username »

There are 2, a single liner often given as lung and a 7 liner both of which are on page 35 of Dorje Kotrab (Vajra Armor) book, PMed both, good luck.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

At first glance one would think that practicing Dzogchen would be quite simple. Just Guru Yoga and the semdzins. And perhaps not even those. But within the community there are many many practices one can do. I'm tempted to say that doing all of the different practices might make you feel like a dzogchen practitioner but........
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
username

Post by username »

Andrew108 wrote:At first glance one would think that practicing Dzogchen would be quite simple. Just Guru Yoga and the semdzins. And perhaps not even those. But within the community there are many many practices one can do. I'm tempted to say that doing all of the different practices might make you feel like a dzogchen practitioner but........
We often feel we have to give such Dzogchen practice advise here month after month or sing our songs of realization about what Dzogchen actually ultimately means semantically, but it is best if people consult actual Dzogchen masters who are their gurus about what they need to practice not bad students full of faults like me, or even extremely good ones like you.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

A couple questions about mantra.
What does 'under the breathing' mean? A whisper?
And what kind of mantras are recited in that way?

If this is not secret, the mantra garland around the seed syllable, spinning, why?
Is this a way to reach 'critical mass', so the mantra begins to function?

How do we know the mantra is functioning?

Are there generic signs for different types of mantras, protector/guardian etc.? And if those are discussed in the teachings, what books cover this?

Many thanks.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Lhasa wrote:A couple questions about mantra.
What does 'under the breathing' mean? A whisper?
And what kind of mantras are recited in that way?

If this is not secret, the mantra garland around the seed syllable, spinning, why?
Is this a way to reach 'critical mass', so the mantra begins to function?

How do we know the mantra is functioning?

Are there generic signs for different types of mantras, protector/guardian etc.? And if those are discussed in the teachings, what books cover this?

Many thanks.
Hi Lhasa,

Maybe I can give an answer in a general way, I don't think my answer would be involve anything overly "secret" so yes, basically the mantra is like a whisper, you are not pronouncing the mantra loudly but under the breath, generally you can recite all of them that way.

As far as a specific book for each practice describing results with each one, or a collective book like this I don't know of a collective book that describes results of each one, generally CHNN lets students know ahead of time (before he gives the lung) what the function of the secondary practices of Annuyoga produce for each practice, remember the main practice is Guru Yoga of White Ah and tigle, so the secondary practices are generally for when you need to apply them, for example for Mandarava Long Life practiceCHNN said he would not have survived except that he did that practice, so he also thought this practice could help his students too. He was healed when he practiced this, so he tells us that important result, so this is communication orally from CHNN's own experience, this is why he explains every time he gives the lungs what they are for and what they can produce. However, the mantras for many of the collective practices are in the mantra book, and there is a CD with how to pronounce those that comes with the book.

Just for example in Vajrayana basically some teachers say there is a building up of a visual, but we are not doing that with the instant transformation, with CHNN he teaches we aren't going "one by one" building up anything with our practice, so there isn't this idea of gradually building to critical mass, or this idea that the mantra garland is spinning maybe slower at first and then speeding up for example, or that light rays are gradually getting brighter, nothing like that, the idea is you instantly transform.

The mantra garland is spinning immediately, not building slowly, it is spinning to the right for the masculine deity for example, and to the left direction for the female deity. This has to do with masculine energy or feminine energy this directional instruction. CHNN teaches that the mantra functions when it is moving and sending/spreading the light, so it isn't flat it is three dimensional, and it is light and sound moving, they never stay rigid or stationary, also going round, the roundness with no corners making a circle of light around the middle syllable, this is important in Dzogchen as there are no corners, no sharp corners but a smooth round shape, this is true also of the tigle, being round, we have integration of movement with the sound, light and rays, nothing stays just stationary or flat, there is movement and dimension, this is why it moves, it functions that way.

Your sound, light, and rays, happen the moment you transform. The rays are going out without anything blocking them, infinite light rays, the mantra garland is spinning from the very start and facing outward, vivid right from the instant transformation. CHNN says we have to be in the feeling of this, integrating this transformation is an important aspect for us just like integrating being in instant presence, you keep that presence and remain in that clarity as much as possible. So the idea is if you aren't an expert at practice right when you first get the mantra or transmission don't worry, but you do your best, even when taking initiations he has said to try to get into the feeling of that at first and not worry. Looking for "signs" of accomplishment right away after some recitations, at that beginning is kind of useless until we can actually do what CHNN is saying and instantly transform in our practice, and be in that transformation, practicing that way for some time, we are told there will be results.

Some of the general signs or results of practice of transformation are for example, you have less obstacles on the path, the obstacles clear up, if you were sick you get better, if if you have confusion or doubt it gets less and less, clarity develops. You are kinder, you are less up tight and rigid, you are more and more relaxed in body, speech, and mind, you share the space (generosity) having a flexible mind, working much better with actual circumstance. These are just some of the results and "signs" for example of accomplishment generally.

We can also do a retreat on one deity for a specific amount of time and experience the results as they come, maybe a week or so or two weeks so that throughout our lives we incorporate certain practices, perhaps someone needs to heal from cancer, CHNN has said that Dorje Kotrab (Gotrab), Garuda practice, Mandarava, Vajrapani, all these practices have good results CHNN has said specifically that Vajrapani helps overcome paralysis for example, so we may want to have a retreat on one practice. CHNN has given retreats on specific practices like Garuda, Dorje Drollo, Janadakini, Mandarava, and many more etc...allowing the practitioner who makes that effort, to get more specifically into that practice.

Return to “Dzogchen”