Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:36 pm 

Good day everyone!

Devotionary here from the previous E-Sangha forum. After 3, 4 years... I've found Dharma Wheel!

I really wish to find Ven. Hui Feng!

Anyway, just a question:

In this link, http://www.cttbusa.org/talks/26.asp , Master Jin Shao mentioned the book "53 Mantras for Daily Practice" by Vinaya Master Shu Yu.

May anyone knowledgeable please help me find the Chinese characters for this book, and if possible, is it available on CBETA, etc?

Might you have any comments about it?

(For those of you, such as Ven Hui Feng, who knew me from E-Sangha... well... My practice has both improved yet still stuck. My understanding has both deepened and is yet much too shallow. But one thing I know: advice from good monastics and lay people has improved my resolve! And a stint in Taiwan has improved my Chinese dramatically, LOL :p)

:twothumbsup:

Amitofo!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:46 pm 

Huifeng-shi: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=194

:namaste:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:05 pm 

Thanks! Sent Ven. Huifeng a message.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:41 am 

I'll try and ask Jin Shao Shr for you. I saw this lecture too and was wondering what the 53 mantras were as well.

I knew Jin Shao Shr before he left the home life, he was friend of mine so I hope I can just send an e-mail and get his answer!

**Update**

It's only for monastics. Haha... that's all I got. I'll try to get more info on it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:31 pm 

Thanks!

I'd like to know what it is, how it said in Chinese, so I can ask our local Dharma masters here.

Recently, they have given me instructions on mantras used in Chinese Buddhism (淨瓶, 收供水, etc), and I would like to know more about these.

If I can ask them the Chinese version, and they say that it's not appropriate for me, then I'll stop asking. But the most important step for me right now is that I ask!

Thanks again :p

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:37 pm 

could it be the 毗尼日用切要? If so, can anyone share his or her knowledge of the 毗尼日用切要?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:59 pm 

Ok, just an update. The 53 mantras are only used for monastics (this is what I was told). They are used for entering the restroom, washing of the hands, entering a room, before sleep, and waking up etc...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:25 pm 

remm wrote:
Ok, just an update. The 53 mantras are only used for monastics (this is what I was told). They are used for entering the restroom, washing of the hands, entering a room, before sleep, and waking up etc...

Cannot read Chinese, but I will guess that most or many of these mantras are just verses from Pure Conduct chapter 11 of the Avatamsaka Sutra.

http://www.cttbusa.org/avatamsaka/avatamsaka11.asp