Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:39 pm 

At the moment I'm reading the Vinaya of the Pali canon, as I'm not sure whether it is identical to those of the Chinese of Tibetan canons and it's easier to get a hold of the reading material.

It says in the Suttavibhanga that certain offenses in the monastic community "entail[s] initial and subsequent meetings of the Community." For instance, "Intentional discharge of semen, except while dreaming, entails initial and subsequent meetings of the Community." (PC/Tptk., Svb., Sanghadisesa # 1)

What does "initial and subsequent meetings of the Community" imply?

Thank you. :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:45 am 

I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree here with suttas instead of Mahayana sutras?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:54 am 

Ikkyu wrote:
At the moment I'm reading the Vinaya of the Pali canon, as I'm not sure whether it is identical to those of the Chinese of Tibetan canons and it's easier to get a hold of the reading material.

It says in the Suttavibhanga that certain offenses in the monastic community "entail[s] initial and subsequent meetings of the Community." For instance, "Intentional discharge of semen, except while dreaming, entails initial and subsequent meetings of the Community." (PC/Tptk., Svb., Sanghadisesa # 1)

What does "initial and subsequent meetings of the Community" imply?

To my knowledge, there is no separate Vinaya (canonic or otherwise) for Mahāyāna, though some communities may add specific rules. Initial and subsequent has no esoteric meaning. Such offenses are usually discussed among the monastics over many occasions.

:namaste: