Should practitioners stop using drugs?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Should practitioners stop using drugs?

Postby Jikan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:05 pm

When I began practicing Buddhism seriously after some time dabbling, around age 20, I gave up drinking entirely and was a perfect tee-totaller for a decade. This is primarily because I didn't trust myself, and I didn't trust myself because I knew I couldn't be trusted with beer in my belly not to make a first-class fool of myself and cause harm to others. So I avoided it.

Since then, under the guidance of my teacher, I've figured out I am not the same loudmouth kid I was when I was twenty. Practice has changed me. So I allow myself a beer sometimes with a meal, or a glass of wine.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby conebeckham » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:26 pm

CrawfordHollow wrote:Thanks again for the responses. I will close this discussion with these two facts, no one has become enlightened through drug use, and DMT= Space Elves :smile:

LOL, gotta agree!

I'm not "anti-drug" by any means. But I don't think they're the answer. I suppose you could view them as tools....but they're dangerous, and double-sided. Including alcohol.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby catmoon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:44 pm

I've always found alcohol to be really bad for meditation. If I'm going to have a beer or three, I have to factor in two or three days of bad meditation, even without a hangover.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby conebeckham » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Intoxication definitely does my practice no good.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby CrawfordHollow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Jerry was my shaman!
Copy of images.jpg
Copy of images.jpg (7.48 KiB) Viewed 514 times
CrawfordHollow

Postby seeker242 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:58 pm

CrawfordHollow wrote:Hi all, a question in another thread got me thinking about this subject. In my past I had a bad drug addiction which nearly killed me. I've posted a little about this before. Obviously not everyone who uses drugs becomes a junkie and overdoses- my experience represents one extreme on the spectrum of drug users. Is it then acceptable to be a recreational drug user of any kind while practicing Buddhism? For me this was not possilble. My spiritual path had no room for drugs of any kind, including alcohol. The Dharma is not a Twelve Step Program, but for me it definately saved my life. I would be curious to hear other people's perspective regarding this. Is it univerally wrong for Buddhists to use drugs, or is it up to the practitioner to decide what is best for them in given situation? I am somewhat new here to DW, so if this is a topic that has already been discussed to death you can kindly tell me to shut up. Thanks guys, I am interested to hear your responses.

Troy

If practitioners want to keep the precepts pure, which they should want to if they are serious, then yes they should not use drugs as recreational drug use is a precepts violation. It is universally a precepts violation, but yes every practitioner has to decide for themselves if they actually want to keep the precepts pure or not

IMO :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
seeker242

Postby oushi » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:13 am

Thx God I didn't take any.
oushi

Postby MrBrad » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:32 pm

I do not want to tell anyone what to do, and strongly favor legalizing most drugs because making them illegal turns out to be, in my opinion, an ill bargain.

On the other hand I feel that since in Buddhism we are attempting to develop and control the mind we should turn away from drugs. I believe drugs only diminish our mental capabilities, never enhance. I appreciate other may hold the opposite view. Having some experience with drugs and with higher meditation states I can see that drugs can sometimes produce a similar state which could lead a reasonable person to believe it was enhancing the process.

I believe the high from drugs is like fools gold. You get excited for a few minutes until you you realize it cannot be cashed in. I believe drugs can make you feel like you are getting somewhere that day in your practice, but in fact I believe your practice will not advance but instead be arrested.

Back in the 60s some people did seek enlightenment through drugs. Decades later our best gurus are the dedicated meditators not the dedicated drug users.
MrBrad

Postby lobster » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:53 am

Here is a tip on your past :toilet:

Go get an addiction. :jawdrop:

A dharma addiction. :twothumbsup:
lobster

Postby Nighthawk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:54 am

I love taking alcohol once in a while but then again I'm a non meditating pure lander so it doesn't really matter.
Nighthawk

Previous

Return to Open Dharma