Is the universe made of the same substance?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
muni

Re: Is the universe made of the same substance?

Post by muni »

All thoughts is Dharmakaya, all rabbit horns 'arise' from that, as this talk, 'arises' from that.

:anjali:
oushi

Post by oushi »

futerko wrote:
oushi wrote:
Linji wrote:"It is because you are running about seeking everywhere and cannot put your heart at rest that the patriarchs say 'My, the fellow with his head on his shoulders is looking for his head!'.
"Such are the Bodhisattvas of sudden enlightenment who enter the scheme of manifested things, turning to the pure land, disliking the worldly and desiring the sacred."

Doesn't this suggest that although all maps maybe relative representations of reality, they are not thereby equally invalid?
There are no maps of reality, there are only maps of practice. If the map ends with a dualistic view, what good is it? Look around and tell me if you can point out reality.
An old master said: "To say it is like a thing is to miss the point."

Linji teachings are, in my opinion, the most direct teachings of Zen\Chan.
Say what you think about me here.
futerko

Post by futerko »

oushi wrote:There are no maps of reality, there are only maps of practice. If the map ends with a dualistic view, what good is it? Look around and tell me if you can point out reality.
An old master said: "To say it is like a thing is to miss the point."

Linji teachings are, in my opinion, the most direct teachings of Zen\Chan.
Ah, I see. I thought you were suggesting before that such teachings were indistiguishable from any other.
muni

Post by muni »

muni wrote:All thoughts is Dharmakaya, all rabbit horns 'arise' from that, as this talk, 'arises' from that.

When I talk about all is empty by my righteness; appaerance / emptiness equality is lost. Then I forget empty mind -empty phenomena interdependency.

All phenomena are not nothing.

devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

DarwidHalim wrote:According to scientist, this universe is made of energy and space.
there is one HUGE difference. unlike anything that has come before, modern scientific elements were not themselves naively arrived at prior to analysis. (part of this section of this series) to equate them with classical notions of "5 elements" is not only silly, it's also dangerously ignorant. if you feel the need to attack them, (why? what is it exactly that you're disputing? do you imagine the idea of scientific theories being at least somewhat provisional taking the scientific world by storm? "at least somewhat," because the machines we type these on... but i'm sure you've heard that before.) you'll have to modify the argument to suit its target, which means actually thinking about what you're saying. it's creepy, the way you sound like a machine. worse, you yourself admit that you could write a program to output whatever you're churning out: "According to others, this universe is made of X, Y, Z, etc." variables. *shudder* give me some honest science any day.
Nothing

Post by Nothing »

There is no such a thing as an Universe!

There is NOTHING!
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Nothing wrote:There is no such a thing as an Universe!

There is NOTHING!
You don't really mean that. But of course absence is an important concept to consider.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Hm. If there was nothing, we would not be able to have these discussions. Or speak at all. Or even exist.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
muni

Post by muni »

Dependent origination-emptiness.
"According to the law of Dependent Origination, all phenomena are dependently originated (Paticcasamuppada). Buddhists see the world, not as a collection of isolated objects".
http://www.purifymind.com/ModernPhysics.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oushi

Post by oushi »

Nothing wrote:There is no such a thing as an Universe!

There is NOTHING!
If there is Nothing, what is a thing? How can you say that there is no thing, when there never was a thing. Your statement is completely meaningless.
Nothing is just a opposite of thing. Reality is neither thing, nor nothing.
Say what you think about me here.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”