My posts don't post--what am I doing wrong?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Yudron

My posts don't post--what am I doing wrong?

Post by Yudron »

About one in four of my attempted posts to any forum don't appear after I think I have posted them. I write something, press post, and the post vanishes into the ethers. I can't decide whether I am doing something really stupid, like hitting the wrong button, or whether the dakinis didn't like the post so they are removing it before I make a big mistake.

Anyone have any guesses?
futerko

Re: My posts don't post--what am I doing wrong?

Post by futerko »

Is your browser working ok otherwise? I just had an issue because my .net framework became corrupted.
emaho

Post by emaho »

Hi Yudron,

I didn't have such problems since Windows 98, which used to crash more often than not :toilet:

Can you describe what exactly happens when your postings enter Nirvana? Do you get an error message? Or do they just dissolve into rainbow light? What exactly appears on your screen?

Generally speaking, it may be helpful to make sure your system is up to date. Do you regularly update your operating system? Your browser? Which browser are you using, btw?

Bye,

R'n'R
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:Hi Yudron,

I didn't have such problems since Windows 98, which used to crash more often than not :toilet:

Can you describe what exactly happens when your postings enter Nirvana? Do you get an error message? Or do they just dissolve into rainbow light? What exactly appears on your screen?

Generally speaking, it may be helpful to make sure your system is up to date. Do you regularly update your operating system? Your browser? Which browser are you using, btw?

Bye,

R'n'R
Thanks for trying. I type my entry into the box, as I am doing with this post. Then I scroll down to the submit button. I think I do that right. Perhaps I am navigating away at that point, blythly unaware that I have received some error message. Wouldn't that be saved as a draft somewhere, though?

I have a new Mac running Lion, with all software up to date. Using Foxfire, current version.
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:Generally speaking, it may be helpful to make sure your system is up to date. Do you regularly update your operating system? Your browser?
Good advice, generally.

Sometimes I hit 'preview' without realizing it... :thinking:

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
emaho

Post by emaho »

Yudron wrote:I have a new Mac running Lion, with all software up to date. Using Foxfire, current version.
Ouch, I'm afraid I have no clue about Mac/Lion. All I can do, then, is try to help you isolate the problem hoping that somebody qualified will step in soon :shrug:
Yudron wrote:Wouldn't that be saved as a draft somewhere, though?
Normally not, however you can try using the browser's back-button. On Windows systems that very often works. As I said, I know almost nothing about Macs, so this is just a wild guess... As long as you still have that problem it's probably a good idea to write your posts in a text editor, save, and then copy&paste them into the forum's box.
Yudron wrote: Thanks for trying. I type my entry into the box, as I am doing with this post. Then I scroll down to the submit button. I think I do that right. Perhaps I am navigating away at that point, blythly unaware that I have received some error message
OK, but what exactly happens then? Or does anything happen at all? If absolutely nothing would happen, you'd still see the box with your entry...?

When I succesfully post, I see a page saying something like "your blabla has been posted blablabla return to topic or go somewhere else bla bla". You probably do not see this success-message then, do you?
emaho

Post by emaho »

Another idea: you could try the Safari Browser, maybe the problem occurs only in Firefox.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:Another idea: you could try the Safari Browser, maybe the problem occurs only in Firefox.
I think that is a good idea, because right now I'm pretty sure its spaced-out user error, but this will rule out the browser. I'll try that.

No, I probably don't get the usual confirmation message.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

One thing that happens often is that you hit submit and assume that is the end of the process. It isn't. If someone else posts while you are writing, the system notifies you that this has happened, suggests that you might want to read the new posts before submitting and asks if you still wish to submit. If, while all this is happnening, another post goes up the whole thing repeats. If you leave at any time during this process, the post is pretty much gone.

moral of the story: after hitting "submit" do not move on until you see the confirmation message "post has been successfully submitted". If you don't get that message, there are dialgoue boxes open and you need to scroll up to see them sometimes.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

catmoon wrote:One thing that happens often is that you hit submit and assume that is the end of the process. It isn't. If someone else posts while you are writing, the system notifies you that this has happened, suggests that you might want to read the new posts before submitting and asks if you still wish to submit. If, while all this is happnening, another post goes up the whole thing repeats. If you leave at any time during this process, the post is pretty much gone.

moral of the story: after hitting "submit" do not move on until you see the confirmation message "post has been successfully submitted". If you don't get that message, there are dialgoue boxes open and you need to scroll up to see them sometimes.

Yes, this happens quite often and although I know about it I sometimes forget, so I 'copy' my text now before sending it in case the browser can't find it when I go back.

As well as the message that your post has been successfully submitted, with my browser I am taken straight to the thread so I can see my post has been made.
Left
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. I guess there is no option but to pay much closer attention.

Personally, I would rather the board be set to just post my post, whether or not subsequent posts have come in.

Return to “Lounge”