Is the universe made of the same substance?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: Is the universe made of the same substance?

Postby muni » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:34 pm

All thoughts is Dharmakaya, all rabbit horns 'arise' from that, as this talk, 'arises' from that.

:anjali:
muni
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Is the universe made of the same substance?

Postby oushi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:37 pm

futerko wrote:
oushi wrote:
Linji wrote:"It is because you are running about seeking everywhere and cannot put your heart at rest that the patriarchs say 'My, the fellow with his head on his shoulders is looking for his head!'.

"Such are the Bodhisattvas of sudden enlightenment who enter the scheme of manifested things, turning to the pure land, disliking the worldly and desiring the sacred."

Doesn't this suggest that although all maps maybe relative representations of reality, they are not thereby equally invalid?

There are no maps of reality, there are only maps of practice. If the map ends with a dualistic view, what good is it? Look around and tell me if you can point out reality.
An old master said: "To say it is like a thing is to miss the point."

Linji teachings are, in my opinion, the most direct teachings of Zen\Chan.
Say what you think about me here.
User avatar
oushi
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am

Re: Is the universe made of the same substance?

Postby futerko » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:26 pm

oushi wrote:There are no maps of reality, there are only maps of practice. If the map ends with a dualistic view, what good is it? Look around and tell me if you can point out reality.
An old master said: "To say it is like a thing is to miss the point."

Linji teachings are, in my opinion, the most direct teachings of Zen\Chan.


Ah, I see. I thought you were suggesting before that such teachings were indistiguishable from any other.
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
User avatar
futerko
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am

Re: Is the universe made of the same substance?

Postby muni » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:19 pm

muni wrote:All thoughts is Dharmakaya, all rabbit horns 'arise' from that, as this talk, 'arises' from that.

:anjali:

When I talk about all is empty by my righteness; appaerance / emptiness equality is lost. Then I forget empty mind -empty phenomena interdependency.

All phenomena are not nothing.

:anjali:
muni
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Is the universe made of the same substance?

Postby devilyoudont » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:51 am

DarwidHalim wrote:According to scientist, this universe is made of energy and space.

there is one HUGE difference. unlike anything that has come before, modern scientific elements were not themselves naively arrived at prior to analysis. (part of this section of this series) to equate them with classical notions of "5 elements" is not only silly, it's also dangerously ignorant. if you feel the need to attack them, (why? what is it exactly that you're disputing? do you imagine the idea of scientific theories being at least somewhat provisional taking the scientific world by storm? "at least somewhat," because the machines we type these on... but i'm sure you've heard that before.) you'll have to modify the argument to suit its target, which means actually thinking about what you're saying. it's creepy, the way you sound like a machine. worse, you yourself admit that you could write a program to output whatever you're churning out: "According to others, this universe is made of X, Y, Z, etc." variables. *shudder* give me some honest science any day.
User avatar
devilyoudont
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Is the universe made of the same substance?

Postby Nothing » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:28 pm

There is no such a thing as an Universe!

There is NOTHING!
User avatar
Nothing
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Is the universe made of the same substance?

Postby Andrew108 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Nothing wrote:There is no such a thing as an Universe!

There is NOTHING!

You don't really mean that. But of course absence is an important concept to consider.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Andrew108
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Is the universe made of the same substance?

Postby catmoon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:38 am

Hm. If there was nothing, we would not be able to have these discussions. Or speak at all. Or even exist.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 3006
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Is the universe made of the same substance?

Postby muni » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:54 am

Dependent origination-emptiness.
"According to the law of Dependent Origination, all phenomena are dependently originated (Paticcasamuppada). Buddhists see the world, not as a collection of isolated objects".
http://www.purifymind.com/ModernPhysics.htm
muni
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Is the universe made of the same substance?

Postby oushi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 am

Nothing wrote:There is no such a thing as an Universe!

There is NOTHING!

If there is Nothing, what is a thing? How can you say that there is no thing, when there never was a thing. Your statement is completely meaningless.
Nothing is just a opposite of thing. Reality is neither thing, nor nothing.
Say what you think about me here.
User avatar
oushi
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am

Previous

Return to Exploring Buddhism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

>