Visualisation

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Visualisation

Postby celinechan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Sorry if this question sound a bit stupid but I don't know where else to ask. Is about meditation and how to visaulise. Sometimes when I do visualisation in my prayer, then I have to visualise my guru as the same as my yidam. But how do I do that? Do I imagine my guru face on the yidam body, or is like half and half? Sorry if is a bit stupid, but I don't want to get it wrong and I think some other people also want to ask same question, but they are not dare to do so.
celinechan

Re: Visualisation

Postby heart » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:35 pm

celinechan wrote:Sorry if this question sound a bit stupid but I don't know where else to ask. Is about meditation and how to visaulise. Sometimes when I do visualisation in my prayer, then I have to visualise my guru as the same as my yidam. But how do I do that? Do I imagine my guru face on the yidam body, or is like half and half? Sorry if is a bit stupid, but I don't want to get it wrong and I think some other people also want to ask same question, but they are not dare to do so.

It is not a stupid question. There are many ways to do this and you have to find one that suits you right now. You could visualize your yidam with your gurus face, or if that don't work you can just visualize your guru or your yidam with the feeling that they are inseparable. You do whatever feels easier for you. If devotion grows stronger you are hitting the right spot I would say. The main point in visualizations is to boost the meaning of whatever you recite at that moment, so understanding the meaning of what you recite is the clue.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby conebeckham » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:47 pm

Think of your Guru as inseperable with your yidam, but manifesting "on another plane," with all the appearance and attributes of the Yidam deity....you don't have to superimpose his or her face on the deity's face.....but think that they are the same "essence."
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby plwk » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:41 am

Have you tried asking your guru/centre on how it's done? The only 'fool' at the end of the day is the one who doesn't ask...
You can get many opinions here and there but nothing like receiving direct and precise instructions from your own guru/centre...
plwk

Return to Gelug