Kalavinka Future translations

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

Kalavinka Future translations

Postby Will » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:11 am

Bhikshu Dharmamitra lists below what he hopes to accomplish in the next few years. He needs much financial help and also with his Kalavinka Press website.

So send him money & technical expertise. http://www.kalavinka.org/

1) Three 10 grounds translations within this calendar year:
a) Nagarjuna's Commentary on the Ten Grounds Sutra (first draft already finished);
b) Kumarajiva's early 400's edition of the Ten Grounds Sutra text (I'm almost through with 9th Ground);
c) Siksananda's 699 ce edition of the analogue text forming Ch. 26 "The Ten Grounds Chapter" of the Avatamsaka Sutra.

2) One complete Kalavinka Avatamsaka Sutra translation (of the "standard" Siksananda edition) within 5 years, this to include my typical endnoting and outlining apparatuses as well as ebook editions available for all standard formats including Kindle, epub ebooks, and all portable devices. (The print editions would be two-fold: one with facing-page Chinese source text; one with Chinese characters limited to parentheses within the endnotes.

3) One complete straight academic translation of the Siksananda edition of the Avatamsaka Sutra within five years specifically for BDK/Numata, with only very minimal endnotes, per their stipulation.

Depending on how much help I can mobilize, I also want to do a complete build-out on the website and also put out second editions of the first ten Kalavinka books which are English-only.

If my liver transplant stays with me, then Nagarjuna's complete Mahaprajnaparamita-upadesa (Analytic Commentary on The Great Perfection of Wisdom Sutra) is next in line.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Re: Kalavinka Future translations

Postby pueraeternus » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks Will, for the heads-up.
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Postby Leo Rivers » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Thank you for this heart touching heads up. He is like Lamotte or Conze ... a modern Lokakṣema. :namaste:

I have just donated be cause of your post. :cheers:

So send him money & technical expertise. http://www.kalavinka.org/
has a paypal option and now paypal lets you do your regular credit card too.

PS: with the prices of his editions being so reasonable I am not certain this is so necessary though:

put out second editions of the first ten Kalavinka books which are English-only.
Leo Rivers

Postby Will » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Well done Leo!

As this link re Donations says, Bhikshu Dharmamitra incurred personal debts for hardware & software etc over the years. So any donated monies are mainly used to retire this debt. http://www.kalavinka.org/kp_main_pages/donate.htm
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Leo Rivers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:15 am

of the analogue text forming Ch. 26 "The Ten Grounds Chapter" of the Avatamsaka Sutra.

What does "analogue text" mean?
Leo Rivers

Postby Will » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:24 am

Leo Rivers wrote:
of the analogue text forming Ch. 26 "The Ten Grounds Chapter" of the Avatamsaka Sutra.

What does "analogue text" mean?

Siksananda's version is analogous to Kumarajiva's translation of the same 10 Grounds text.
Will

Postby Leo Rivers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Got it.
Leo Rivers

Postby Will » Wed May 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Just bumping this up to encourage more support for Bhikshu Heng Shou (aka Dharmamitra). Both financial aid for Kalavinka Press and healing prayers for the translator himself are much needed now.
Will

Postby Will » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:58 pm

Will wrote:Just bumping this up to encourage more support for Bhikshu Heng Shou (aka Dharmamitra). Both financial aid for Kalavinka Press and healing prayers for the translator himself are much needed now.

As the valiant translator just wrote: "translating at a blistering pace, usually 10hrs/day, 7 days per week with a take-no-prisoners daily quota".

But he is not getting much financial support for his work - rather par for the course I suppose.

Contact for donations:

Kalavinka Press (Kalavinkapress.org)
8603 39th Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98136
kalavinka@gmail.com; Office: 206-932-1155
Will

Postby viniketa » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:07 pm

Thank you for the information, Will. :thanks:

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
viniketa

Postby Leo Rivers » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Has his health become more difficult? I thought the liver transplant “took”. Does he have someone helping him with this work? Is he a one-man band? He is already done so much.
Leo Rivers

Postby Will » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Leo Rivers wrote:Has his health become more difficult? I thought the liver transplant “took”. Does he have someone helping him with this work? Is he a one-man band? He is already done so much.

Use his contact information Leo - he will not bite.
Will

Postby pueraeternus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:00 am

Thanks again Will. Will do my best.
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Return to Sūtra Studies