Steve Jobs reborn as an asura or deva?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Postby kirtu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Steve Jobs took rebirth as an asura or a deva according to the Thai Dhammakaya tradition (a somewhat controversial group)?

When Apple Inc . founder Steve Jobs died after a long fight with cancer last year, software engineer Tony Tseung sent an email to a Buddhist group in Thailand to find out what happened to his old boss now that he’s no longer of this world.

This month, Mr. Tseung received his answer. Mr. Jobs has been reincarnated as a celestial warrior-philosopher, the Dhammakaya group said in a special television broadcast, and he’s living in a mystical glass palace hovering above his old office at Apple’s Cupertino, California headquarters.

A celestial warrior-philosopher - so some kind of asura or lower deva?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Steve Jobs reborn as an asura or deva?

Postby Josef » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:33 pm

That's hilarious.
Josef

Postby Indrajala » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:39 pm

At first I thought this was a joke thread. :twothumbsup:

They're serious.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby pueraeternus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:51 pm

kirtu wrote:A celestial warrior-philosopher - so some kind of asura or lower deva?

Kirt

Ah. Must be this one:

When I set out to lead humanity along my Golden Path I promised a lesson their bones would remember. I know a profound pattern humans deny with words even while their actions affirm it. They say they seek security and quiet, conditions they call peace. Even as they speak, they create seeds of turmoil and violence.

- Leto II, the God Emperor
pueraeternus

Postby Andrew108 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:20 pm

Don't joke some people can see Asura and Devas. I wonder if they can see the glass palace though?
Andrew108

Postby pueraeternus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Andrew108 wrote:Don't joke some people can see Asura and Devas. I wonder if they can see the glass palace though?

Probably not. Remember wonder woman's glass aircraft? We couldn't see it either!

When I set out to lead humanity along my Golden Path I promised a lesson their bones would remember. I know a profound pattern humans deny with words even while their actions affirm it. They say they seek security and quiet, conditions they call peace. Even as they speak, they create seeds of turmoil and violence.

- Leto II, the God Emperor
pueraeternus

Postby Sherlock » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:10 am

There were a few posts regarding fundamentalism which have been removed because of the parts touching on other religions, however, this Dhammakaya movement seems a bit disturbing to me. They are basically a Buddhist megachurch ("fundamentalist" but with serious misunderstandings of the scriptures) albeit with actual monastics.
vajracakra.com
Sherlock

Postby plwk » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:35 am

Really kirtu, who cares? Either way, he must be busy making either kind doing overtime without pay...

And secondly, coming from that infamous Thai 'cult'? :thinking:
plwk

Postby ground » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:16 am

I guess earth or dust. But from that as a condition plants may arise :sage:
ground

Postby Nosta » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:34 pm

The most sad thing is that there are lots of people seeing Steve as an amazing guy, even when he was alive.

Just because he was determined enought to create great computers and all that stuff, that does not make him great. And just because he died in a sadly way (who doesnt?) that doesnt make him a saint. Steve Jobs was just a rich guy using computers! He was not a saint, an araht, whatever! Neither he is not now!

I really dont get all the crazy people admiring S.Jobs.
Nosta

Postby Nemo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:46 pm

A creative but very greedy hippy would be very lucky to be reborn in the human realm. He did not do enough for others to merit a higher rebirth as far as I can tell from his philanthrpic activity. Bill Gates, though more of a douche bag, has a better chance due to the Bill Gates Foundation. His merit from that will be vast.
Nemo

Postby Indrajala » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:51 pm

Nosta wrote:The most sad thing is that there are lots of people seeing Steve as an amazing guy, even when he was alive.

Just because he was determined enought to create great computers and all that stuff, that does not make him great. And just because he died in a sadly way (who doesnt?) that doesnt make him a saint. Steve Jobs was just a rich guy using computers! He was not a saint, an araht, whatever! Neither he is not now!

In Taiwan I walked into a Buddhist library and on the "New Arrivals" display sure enough there was Steve Jobs new biography in Chinese translation.

Needless to say I said to myself, "What the ..."
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Tiger » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:20 pm

From the little I know about Steve Jobs from the documentary called "Pirates of the Silicon Valley", Steve Jobs was a short tempered man who often forced his employees to work more than the required hours. He had a baby with a woman whom he initially did not even acknowledge as his own baby. He took various sorts of drugs like LSD, Cannabis etc in his life. Most important of all, some of his ideas were directly taken (in other words, stolen) from other pioneers of early personal computers.

If after having violated so many Buddhist precepts, a man can still be born as an Asura, which is a class superior to humans, then I believe I am definitely destined to the higher Deva realms. :mrgreen:

Namo Amitabha Buddha
Namo Amitabha Buddha
Tiger

Postby Blue Garuda » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Maybe Samsung could claim he was reborn as a 'Anne Droid the Android', working for them, and head off the next batch of lawsuits! LOL :)
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby AlexanderS » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:08 am

I don't understand why Steve Jobs persona is so celebrated

He certainly a fantastic succesfull buisness man and innovator in electronic products, but not much beyond that.

I find his belittling comments about bill gates philantrophy sickining, considering how wealthy he was.
AlexanderS

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:08 am

Nosta wrote:The most sad thing is that there are lots of people seeing Steve as an amazing guy, even when he was alive.

If I remember correctly,a deva or asura don't have anything to do with Buddhas,Bodhisattvas,or arhats.Although some deva and asura can be beneficial and/or worldly protectors,they aren't enlightened.Although I don't believe Steve Jobs has been reborn as a deva or asura(he could've been though,it deserves the benefit of the doubt.)I just want to correct you.Unless you're referring to the good karma he would've had to generate to get such a rebirth.
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:33 am

Wow...didn't read that article until just now.Well,Dhammakaya is the Buddhist version of Scientology.
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Postby lobster » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:21 am

As far as I know, the one day to be Buddha, Steve Jobs was a practicing Buddhist.
His influence is in my ipad powered shrine . . . Good Job!

The cult of fruitiness is not always a seed for practice. Like others I believe Bill and Melinda are far nearer the Ideal 'Gate gate'.

May all computers attain sentience and Nirvana
(YinYana prayer)
lobster

Return to Open Dharma