Rebirth

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
bunny

Re: Rebirth

Post by bunny »

:) thank you undefineable and apologies I'm a little sensitive today, maybe I should just leave this forum for today and come back tomorrow.

Although my path does differ from Buddhism, I am in now way shape or form "New Age". Although material possessions are shiney, pretty, good to have and some of them do make life on this mortal plane more bearable. The bare bones teachings of my path dicate that spiritual wealth, helping others, empathy, compassion, patience and understanding is more important than material possessions. Although my path is more than that, those are the bare bones of it.

By spiritual wealth I mean following the teachings of my path and guiding any who come my way for assistance. As long as their heart, mind and soul are pure.

*nods* many thanks for your well wishes undefineable :)
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Ikkyu

Post by Ikkyu »

bunny wrote:Ikkyu; Kaji: No they didn't show up at my home and hand me a physical book, sorry I forgot that not everyone knows me that well here. Forgive me. My patron god had arranged to meet on the astral plane and it was on the astral plane that they showed me this book. We went to a place called The Hall of Records (Full name is: "The Akashic Hall of Records" ). Since then I have been going there on and off to pour over past lifes to give me an insight if I need assistance in this lifetime. I have been going to the astral plane since birth and I can be on the astral plane and on this plane at the same time.
"Nothing can be known, not even this."
-- Arcesilaus (but I'm not sure)

(cutting through bullshit, and sometimes failing... that's ok, though)

http://thegrandtangent.com
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Music wrote:Let's say rebirth is true, don't want to argue. Let's just assume that for convenience. Wouldn't that mean each person is on a different level? What I mean is, some people might have taken many births in conducive environments where practicing dharma could have been easier. So in this life, such ppl may find it easy to meditate, practice self control etc.

I, otoh, find it hard to meditate or practice self control or even basic ethical guidelines. Does this hint at many births as a materialist in the past? Is that why i find it hard? Again, this thread assumes rebirth to be true, else this discussion wouldn't be possible.
It's never easy. In fact it's better to have problems then to have an easy time of it. I noticed that people on this forum have very different capacities but who can really say why?
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Viewing the "Akashic Records" is an actual Siddhi spoken of in the Buddha Dharma, it's just not called that.

And of course what Occultism calls "Astral Projection"', the Buddha Dharma calls Milam or Dream Yoga.

I find Theosophy to be very interesting, and useful to an extent. It's unfortunate that people often confuse Theosophy with "new-age"-channeling/mediumism though.
undefineable

Post by undefineable »

Lhug-Pa wrote:Viewing the "Akashic Records" is an actual Siddhi spoken of in the Buddha Dharma, it's just not called that.

And of course what Occultism calls "Astral Projection"', the Buddha Dharma calls Milam or Dream Yoga.
Sources please, lest I reply to Ikkyu's last post with :rolling: -? {Where was that photo from btw?}
Lhug-Pa wrote:I find Theosophy to be very interesting, and useful to an extent. It's unfortunate that people often confuse Theosophy with "new-age"-channeling/mediumism though.
I suspect these three adharma traditions overlap somewhat more than, for example, the older and better-defined Abrahamic ones (which also share a superficial similarity), and I'm sure many stereotypical 'new-agers' are also theosophists, probably without knowing it.
you wore out your welcome with random precision {Pink Floyd}
SSJ3Gogeta

Post by SSJ3Gogeta »

Lhug-Pa wrote:Viewing the "Akashic Records" is an actual Siddhi spoken of in the Buddha Dharma, it's just not called that.

I find Theosophy to be very interesting, and useful to an extent. It's unfortunate that people often confuse Theosophy with "new-age"-channeling/mediumism though.

I agree that dream yoga of ChNN involves in part what most people call Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming (WILD).

But it is that PLUS trekcho. A WILD without Dzogchen transmission is not dream yoga.

I also agree that OBE is a part of dream yoga, since HHDL mentions the ability to become a perfect spy.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

undefineable wrote: Sources please,
Appendix 5 of Padmakara Translation Group's Revised Edition of Treasury of Precious Qualities by Jigme Lingpa.

According to what is written in the above said appendix, any Buddha, or Bodhisattva(s) on (a) certain Bhumi(s), would easily be able to view past events that occured during any given time.

undefineable wrote:I suspect these three adharma traditions overlap somewhat more than, for example, the older and better-defined Abrahamic ones (which also share a superficial similarity), and I'm sure many stereotypical 'new-agers' are also theosophists, probably without knowing it.
Well, H.P. Blavatsky and Henry Steele Olcott took Refuge, and H.P. Blavatsky's The Voice of the Silence was printed under the auspices of the Panchen Lama and was also praised by H.H. the Dalai Lama.

About Spiritualism or "new age" channeling/mediumism:

SSJ3Gogeta wrote:I agree that dream yoga of ChNN involves in part what most people call Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming (WILD).

But it is that PLUS trekcho. A WILD without Dzogchen transmission is not dream yoga.
No because Dream Yoga is also part of Inner Tantra, the Six Yogas of Naropa, etc.; not only Dzogchen.

Though yeah, regarding the other part of what you said, it's as you say: Only Dzogchen has Trekcho and Dream Yoga.

Different teachings and/or practices may lead to the penetrating of different respective dimensions; meaning that the "astral body" isn't the only Dream Body, as there would also be the mental body, causal body, and beyond.

SSJ3Gogeta wrote:I also agree that OBE is a part of dream yoga, since HHDL mentions the ability to become a perfect spy.
True indeed.

This too:

H.H. the Dalai Lama wrote....

Implying that the Disciples attended Vulture Peak in their Dream Body's rather than in the physical dimension.
Ikkyu

Post by Ikkyu »

It's a quaint notion and sure -- it's in the principle Buddhist texts -- but so are a lot of culturalisms and superstitions borrowed from Hindu/Vedic traditions. I'm a skeptic about iddhis, as well as rebirth, etc. Believing or disbelieving in these things doesn't bring one any closer to enlightenment it would seem anyway. Sure, they may motivate people to practice the Dharma but I find that simply reducing one's suffering in this lifetime and for the benefit for others is just as meaningful without all the paranormal baggage added on.

Theosophy is certainly interesting, but as I understand some of its proponents were quite prejudiced individuals and the philosophy has been used to support Aryanism in the past.

In one Buddhist scripture, it is stated that an ascetic came to Buddha and said, "I have practiced austerities for 20 years and now I can levitate across the river". Buddha replied, "Why bother when the ferry fare is only one penny?"

Ikkyu

Post by Ikkyu »

Lhug-Pa wrote:
undefineable wrote: Sources please,
Appendix 5 of Padmakara Translation Group's Revised Edition of Treasury of Precious Qualities by Jigme Lingpa.

According to what is written in the above said appendix, any Buddha, or Bodhisattva(s) on (a) certain Bhumi(s), would easily be able to view past events that occured during any given time.

undefineable wrote:I suspect these three adharma traditions overlap somewhat more than, for example, the older and better-defined Abrahamic ones (which also share a superficial similarity), and I'm sure many stereotypical 'new-agers' are also theosophists, probably without knowing it.
Well, H.P. Blavatsky and Henry Steele Olcott took Refuge, and H.P. Blavatsky's The Voice of the Silence was printed under the auspices of the Panchen Lama and was also praised by H.H. the Dalai Lama.

About Spiritualism or "new age" channeling/mediumism:

SSJ3Gogeta wrote:I agree that dream yoga of ChNN involves in part what most people call Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming (WILD).

No because Dream Yoga is also part of Inner Tantra, the Six Yogas of Naropa, etc.; not only Dzogchen.

Though yeah, regarding the other part of what you said, it's as you say: Only Dzogchen has Trekcho and Dream Yoga.

Different teachings and/or practices may lead to the penetrating of different respective dimensions; meaning that the "astral body" isn't the only Dream Body, as there would also be the mental body, causal body, and beyond.

SSJ3Gogeta wrote:I also agree that OBE is a part of dream yoga, since HHDL mentions the ability to become a perfect spy.
True indeed.

This too:

H.H. the Dalai Lama wrote....

Implying that the Disciples attended Vulture Peak in their Dream Body's rather than in the physical dimension.
The "Treasury of Precious Qualities" is I imagine a book of wisdom, but who's to say that all of us here practice within the Vajrayana or Tibetan Buddhism at all?

Ikkyu

Post by Ikkyu »

undefineable wrote:

Sources please, lest I reply to Ikkyu's last post with :rolling: -? {Where was that photo from btw?}
Lhug-Pa wrote:I find Theosophy to be very interesting, and useful to an extent. It's unfortunate that people often confuse Theosophy with "new-age"-channeling/mediumism though.
I suspect these three adharma traditions overlap somewhat more than, for example, the older and better-defined Abrahamic ones (which also share a superficial similarity), and I'm sure many stereotypical 'new-agers' are also theosophists, probably without knowing it.
It's a still photo of Tommy Lee Jones in the film adaptation of "No Country for Old Men".

Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Hi Ikkyu

I'll try to reply more later, yet for now I'll just address this real quick:

Ikkyu wrote:Theosophy is certainly interesting, but as I understand some of its proponents were quite prejudiced individuals and the philosophy has been used to support Aryanism in the past.
Please see the following post(s) in this thread:

Upasika Blavatsky

:buddha1:

Return to “Lounge”