Samantabhadra - Bodhisattva or Buddha or AdiBuddha?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Tiger

Samantabhadra - Bodhisattva or Buddha or AdiBuddha?

Post by Tiger »

From what I have glimpsed in the Sutras and Tantras, Samantabhadra is considered as a Bodhisattva in the Mahayana Sutras. But Tantras consider him a Buddha. Some higher Tantras (I think it was Dzogchen) even claim him to be an Adibuddha!
So what exactly is Samantabhadra? Was his status "elevated" in the Tantras?
Namo Amitabha Buddha
vinodh

Re: Samantabhadra - Bodhisattva or Buddha or AdiBuddha?

Post by vinodh »

AFAIK

Bodhisattva Samantabhadra is quite different from Adibuddha Samantabhadra.

They are both two different entities.

FWIW the Sanskrit dictionary Amarakosha lists the term "Samantrabhadra" as an epithet of Buddha. So as much it can be used to refer any Buddha (in principle)

V
http://www.virtualvinodh.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yo dharmaṁ paśyati, sa buddhaṁ paśyati

One who sees the Dharma, sees the Buddha
śālistamba sūtra

na pudgalo na ca skandhā buddho jñānamanāsravam
sadāśāntiṁ vibhāvitvā gacchāmi śaraṇaṁ hyaham

Neither a person nor the aggregates, the Buddha, is knowledge free from [evil] outflows
Clearly perceiving [him] to be eternally serene, I go for refuge [in him]
saddharma-laṅkāvatāra-sūtra
Caz

Post by Caz »

Samantabhadra is all of them. Buddha's appear in many different forms to benefit others.
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

Bodhisattva samantabhadra is the one who is famous for his way of dedicating merit. He is one of 8 great boddhisattvas, which is mentioned quite often.

Buddha Samantabhadra is not very clear. He is depicted as adibuddha in the sense that he never ever experience confusion. Siddharta Gautama ever experienced confusion.

At the same time, adibuddha is also referring to yourself, because regardless what sinful acts you ever done, your buddhahood cannot be damaged. In this sense, all of us can be said as adibuddha. In tantric practice, when you practice visualization of adibuddha, it is then referring to your own self, instead of referring to outside source.

In tantric practice, adibuddha or samantabhadra is more often referring to your original Buddha in you.

However, whether there is someone who never gets confusion even once, this is unknown. Probably, there is. I don't know.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
Son

Post by Son »

vinodh wrote:AFAIK

FWIW the Sanskrit dictionary Amarakosha lists the term "Samantrabhadra" as an epithet of Buddha. So as much it can be used to refer any Buddha (in principle)

V
:good:

It is also helpful to consider the Shakyamuni Trinity. This includes:
Siddhartha (one who has completed the goal) the representation of the Supremely Awakened Buddha who discovers the Dharma.
Manjushri (Gentle Glory), the Bodhisattva of transcendent wisdom.
Samantabhadra (Universal Worthy), the Bodhisattva who practices the vows of bodhisattahood, and embodies the active quality of the Pure Mind.

This trinity represents primordial buddhahood, derived from Adibuddha of course. This is why sometimes the NAME (a representation) Samantabhadra is said to be the primordial Buddha Adibuddha (also represented as Vajradhara).
You could think of it as Adibuddha emanating the five great Buddhas, which are embodying the elements and skandhas, and the five great Bodhisattvas (Enlightenment Beings), which is how we find yet another emanated manifestation who has the name "Samantabhadra," among five such Bodhisattvas.

Hope that's helpful.
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

Son wrote:

V

Siddhartha (one who has completed the goal) the representation of the Supremely Awakened Buddha who discovers the Dharma.
Samantabhadra (Universal Worthy), the Bodhisattva who practices the vows of bodhisattahood, and embodies the active quality of the Pure Mind.

This trinity represents primordial buddhahood, derived from Adibuddha of course. This is why sometimes the NAME (a representation) Samantabhadra is said to be the primordial Buddha Adibuddha (also represented as Vajradhara).
You could think of it as Adibuddha emanating the five great Buddhas, which are embodying the elements and skandhas, and the five great Bodhisattvas (Enlightenment Beings), which is how we find yet another emanated manifestation who has the name "Samantabhadra," among five such Bodhisattvas.

Hope that's helpful.

So that implies that Adibuddha is superior to the Buddhas? I remember Li Hongzhi, the founder of Falun Gong, also has the same opiniong - that there are levels superior to the Buddhas.
Namo Amitabha Buddha
Son

Post by Son »

Tiger wrote:
Son wrote:

V

Hope that's helpful.

So that implies that Adibuddha is superior to the Buddhas? I remember Li Hongzhi, the founder of Falun Gong, also has the same opiniong - that there are levels superior to the Buddhas.
No no. Well, sort of. Adibuddha is the manifestation of "all the Buddhas," so how could he be superior to them? Furthermore, since they are simply emanations of Adibuddha, how could they be compared to him, much less seen as inferior...? All of it, really, is Buddha Mind, or in other words Pure Mind or the true nature. It is the manifestation of the dharmakaya.

When Adibuddha is seen as possessing all the qualities of the Buddha Mind, and aspiring them, he is seen as Samantabhadra Buddha. When he is seen with all the empowerment of the Buddha Mind, he is seen as Vajradhara. When he is seen with togetherness and unity and creation, he suddenly appears as Lord Avalokiteshvara, embodiment of the four immeasurable brahmaviharas (lovingkindness, compassion, altruism, equanimity). In some schools of tradition, Avalokiteshvara is depicted miraculously in the dreaming aspect:
From his eyes come forth the sun and moon; from his brow, a thunderbolt from which life is created; from his shoulders, the sublime gods; from his heart, the soul of the universe; from his mouth, the winds; from his feet, the earth; from his stomach, the ultimate truth and the cosmic cycles.

He is a lamp to the blind, a parasol for those devoured by the heat of the sun, and a stream to the thirsty. He takes away all fear from those who are afraid.

He is a doctor to the sick, and he is father and mother to the unhappy.
In light of this, we think back to the name Samantabhadra. Both Avalokiteshvara and Manjushri deities appear as Wisdom Bodhisattvas... but the primary embodiment of those representations are compassion and wisdom. Avalokiteshvara means, "Lord Who Gazes Down," and an older name--Lokesvara--means, "Lord of the World," as indicated by the above myth. Manjushri means, "Gentle Glory." In this sense, Avalokiteshvara Buddha and Manjushri Buddha are the same manifestation--that is, the compassion and wisdom of Adibuddha is embodied in this deity, namely, Universal Worthy Lord Who Gazes Down upon the world. Therefore, Adibuddha is Lord Who Gazes Down Buddha and Gentle Glory Buddha.

For some, even Amitabha (Infinite Light) represents Adibuddha, for obvious reason in light of this. Thus, Adibuddha is the superior Buddha Mind, but all Buddhas and Enlightenment Beings are the Pure Mind, and thus are Adibuddha themselves. Adibuddha is utmost and foremost a title for ultimate primordial Buddha (Buddha Mind), and all manifestations are equal to it, all emanations are united, and all is embodied. And so, Adibuddha is supreme in that way. He is also known as Amitabha, Samantabhadra, Vajradhara, Manjushri and Avalokiteshvara. He embodies all.
Referring to him as Primordial Universal-Worthy Infinite-Luminous Diamond-Holding Lord Gentle Glory Who Gazes Down is much too overwhelming of a name, so it it best to say Abiduddha.

Deferring back now, the Shakyamuni Trinity in a way shows how Bodhisattvas Gentle Glory and Universal Worthy are in fact the true culmination of the Tathagata, Thus Gone, the One Who has Completed the Goal, Shakyamuni the representation of the samyaksambuddha.

I hope this wasn't more confusing than helpful.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”