Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 1850
... are going to be published soon. Here's a link to Amazon (which also notified me): http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Works-Dilgo-Khyentse-Three/dp/1590306279/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c
This is the link to the third volume, since that's the one which is the most interesting to me, but you can easily find the first two from there. There is a fairly big mistake in the description. It says "All but one of the books in this volume is published here for the first time." Actually Zurchungpa's Testament, Primordial Purity and Pure Appearance have all already been published (the latter two being restricted texts), though perhaps not by Shambhala, which may have been their point.

Anyway, I wanted to asked if anyone read Pure Appearance? Or perhaps one of the other supposedly unpublished texts?
I've read Zurchungpa's Testament and Primordial Purity and both are excellent.

_________________
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
Pero wrote:
... are going to be published soon. Here's a link to Amazon (which also notified me): http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Works-Dilgo-Khyentse-Three/dp/1590306279/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c
This is the link to the third volume, since that's the one which is the most interesting to me, but you can easily find the first two from there. There is a fairly big mistake in the description. It says "All but one of the books in this volume is published here for the first time." Actually Zurchungpa's Testament, Primordial Purity and Pure Appearance have all already been published (the latter two being restricted texts), though perhaps not by Shambhala, which may have been their point.

Anyway, I wanted to asked if anyone read Pure Appearance? Or perhaps one of the other supposedly unpublished texts?
I've read Zurchungpa's Testament and Primordial Purity and both are excellent.


I did read Pure Appearance, it is on the development stage using a Vajrasattva practice as example. It is very good. I also read and received teachings on the Lamp that dispels darkness. It is a short Dzogchen pith-instruction, pretty fantastic. I am very curious to read Khyentse RInpoches commentary. It is the a shame they publish like this when you already have most of the books in each volume.

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 1850
heart wrote:
I also read and received teachings on the Lamp that dispels darkness. It is a short Dzogchen pith-instruction, pretty fantastic. I am very curious to read Khyentse RInpoches commentary.

Is it by Mipham?

Quote:
It is the a shame they publish like this when you already have most of the books in each volume.

Indeed.

_________________
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
Pero wrote:
heart wrote:
I also read and received teachings on the Lamp that dispels darkness. It is a short Dzogchen pith-instruction, pretty fantastic. I am very curious to read Khyentse RInpoches commentary.

Is it by Mipham?


Yes.

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 1850
heart wrote:
Pero wrote:
heart wrote:
I also read and received teachings on the Lamp that dispels darkness. It is a short Dzogchen pith-instruction, pretty fantastic. I am very curious to read Khyentse RInpoches commentary.

Is it by Mipham?


Yes.

Ah in that case this text has been translated and published by Tony Duff (just the text, no commentary).

_________________
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
Pero wrote:
Ah in that case this text has been translated and published by Tony Duff (just the text, no commentary).


Yes, and by Erik as well. It is in Crystal Cave.

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:18 pm
Posts: 359
oh, just to say Khen Jigme Phuntsok has made a whole book of commentary on this instruction. Himself said that the book contains all enssence of teachings.

it has been translated into chinese.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 1850
So, did anyone get the 3rd volume of the collected works? What's the retreat manual like?
I'm now finally thinking of getting it. Though I'd much prefer if it would be possible to get separate books, since I already have ZT and PP.

_________________
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 1850
So I got the 3rd volume. 2nd most expensive book I ever bought - cost me around $100 altogether. Not really sure if it was worth it since Zurchungpa's Testament and Primordial Purity make about 70% of it...
Anyhow, since ZT and PP are in it, I don't need the separate editions that I have. So if anyone wants ZT and/or PP I will give them away for free.
So, does anyone want either of these two books? :smile:
Oh, for PP you're supposed to have received at least direct introduction. Though in the collected works this isn't demanded. But it's still probably a good idea. :shrug:

edit: PP is already gone.

_________________
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
How was "A Wondrous Ocean of Advice for the Practice of Retreat in Solitude" and "The Lamp That Dispels Darkness"?

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 1850
heart wrote:
How was "A Wondrous Ocean of Advice for the Practice of Retreat in Solitude" and "The Lamp That Dispels Darkness"?

Have only glanced through it so far. Looks good though. The Lamp root text was translated by EPK, from Crystal Cave, a note sayys they just changed some words to fit in with the style used by DKR. Wondrous Ocean of Advice is actually available somewhere as a free preview of this book, google it.

ZT gone now too.

_________________
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:33 pm
Posts: 365
Does anybody know if this is going to be published as eBook?

_________________
"Forget about being clever, and simply remain." Guru Rinpoche, Treasures from Juniper Ridge


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 1850
Read "A Wondrous Ocean of Advice for the Practice of Retreat in Solitude" today. Though meant for people on retreat I think it's useful for everyone, good advices.

_________________
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:48 am
Posts: 287
Location: NYC
narraboth wrote:
oh, just to say Khen Jigme Phuntsok has made a whole book of commentary on this instruction. Himself said that the book contains all enssence of teachings.

it has been translated into chinese.


Do you know where his commentary can be found? I just discovered the text, and commentary would be excellent.

(Edit: talking about The Lamp That Dispels Darkness)

_________________
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm
Posts: 2295
heart wrote:
How was "A Wondrous Ocean of Advice for the Practice of Retreat in Solitude" and "The Lamp That Dispels Darkness"?

/magnus


It seems you can read the whole Ocean text here:
http://www.calameo.com/books/00003925751dd248ce111

_________________
ཨོཾ་ཏཱ་རེ་ཏུཏྟ་རེ་ཏུ་རེ་སྭཱཧཱ༔


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
dzogchungpa wrote:
heart wrote:
How was "A Wondrous Ocean of Advice for the Practice of Retreat in Solitude" and "The Lamp That Dispels Darkness"?

/magnus


It seems you can read the whole Ocean text here:
http://www.calameo.com/books/00003925751dd248ce111


Thank you.

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group