Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

username

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by username »

Malcolm wrote:
username wrote:I don't think any view can be %100 without concepts.
Dzogchen "view" means being in the state of contemplation, that is what i was getting at.
I know, I was agreeing with what you were saying to people. Dzogchen masters try to explain that view in concepts as much as possible though finally it has to be experienced for proper realization. Also:
Malcolm wrote:Dzogchen "view" means being in the state of contemplation
This wording is a correct concept too IMO.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
SSJ3Gogeta

Post by SSJ3Gogeta »

My understanding of trekcho:

The NOW is overlayed with the conceptualizing mind.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

username wrote:
I know, I was agreeing with what you were saying to people. Dzogchen masters try to explain that view in concepts as much as possible though finally it has to be experienced for proper realization.
Yes, agreed.
Josef

Post by Josef »

SSJ3Gogeta wrote:My understanding of trekcho:

The NOW is overlayed with the conceptualizing mind.
This assumes that the "mind", "now", and vidya are somehow three different things.
Which is not trekcho.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:
heart wrote:
Malcolm wrote:The difference in view in the three series is not conceptual, it is experiential.
Experience have a tendency to be expressed conceptually in general, I think that might be true for all the nine yanas actually.

/magnus

Those expressions are not the experience.
Of course not, but there is no denying that the different views are distinguished conceptually. It would take a Buddha to distinguish peoples experience. Actually, I always wondered how the view of the nine yanas would correspond to actual experience of the practitioners of the nine yanas.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

This through on norbunet.

Its nice of them to give a bit more info on the details of the retreats.

Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Retreats at Merigar
August 31 – September 6, 2012
Longsal Atii Gongpa Gojed
The Opening of the Gate to the State of Ati (A ti’i dgongs pa sgo ’byed), set down in writing by Chögyal Namkhai Norbu in 1977, is a special teaching of Padmasambhava, the Mahaguru of Oddiyana (eighth century), that explains the conditions of the teaching in this degenerate age and presents a practice of Purification of the Six Lokas based on the principle of the reversal (ru log) of samsara. The dreams through which the upadesha was discovered are connected to Padmasambhava himself and to the author’s root guru Rigdzin Changchub Dorje (1826-1961).
(Longsal Teachings, Volume 2, Shang Shung Edizioni)

September 7–9, 2012
SMS Level 1 Exams

September 10–16, 2012
Training for SMS Level 2

September 21–27, 2012
Shitro Khorde Rangdrol: Terma Teaching of Rigdzin Changchub Dorje
Shitro is a very general name. The Tibetan Book of the Dead is an example of a shitro text that is widely diffused in the West. It was originally composed by Guru Padmasambhava and then hidden by him in a series of shitro termas. A tertön called Karma Lingpa discovered it, and since that time it became widely diffused in all traditions. Of course many other shitro texts exist as well.
Shitro Khorde Rangdrol is a terma teaching of my root teacher Changchub Dorje. I received this teaching and the related initiation from him, so I consider this Shitro Khorde Rangdrol particularly precious. Shitro means wrathful and peaceful manifestations. These manifestations represent our condition. In the Dzogchen teaching, we say that the state of Dzogchen is nondual kadag and lhundrub. Kadag means empty, pure, since the beginning. Lhundrub refers to all manifestations, all qualifications, which are related with movement. So shitro is the condition of the individual. The purpose of the shitro teachings is to introduce that state so we can enter into our real state.
We generally do a shitro of Namchö Mingyur Dorje that like most teachings of Namchö Mingyur Dorje is very essential. This Shitro Khorde Rangdrol practice is quite simple as well. We apply it according to the system of Anuyoga and combine it with Namchö Mingyur Dorje’s system.
(Teachings on Shitro and Yangti, Shang Shung Edizioni
Chang Chog of the Namchö Shitro: A Purification Ritual for the Dead, Shang Shung Edizioni)
heart

Post by heart »

As a comment on the discussion about the three series:

'At the moment of recognizing your mind essence leave it in naturalness, simply as it is. If you keep striking a bell, the sound is interrupted by the effort. Just leave that recognition be without altering it. That is the way to not lose the continuity. Soon enough the recognition will vanish by itself. As beginners, naturally we will forget after a bit. We don't need to try to prevent that
or guard against it with great effort. Once distracted, again recognize. That is the training.

Every level of teaching has its own purpose, and even though the very heart of the Buddhadharma is to recognize mind essence and train in that, still, there are obstacles and hindrances that need to be cleared away and enhancement practices that need to be done. An obstacle is something that prevents us from remaining in the natural state. These can be cleared away by certain practices. There are also ways to improve or enhance our practice and to deepen our experience. These two - clearing hindrances and enhancing - are extremely useful.'

Tulku Urgyen
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

heart wrote:As a comment on the discussion about the three series:

'At the moment of recognizing your mind essence leave it in naturalness, simply as it is. If you keep striking a bell, the sound is interrupted by the effort. Just leave that recognition be without altering it. That is the way to not lose the continuity. Soon enough the recognition will vanish by itself. As beginners, naturally we will forget after a bit. We don't need to try to prevent that
or guard against it with great effort. Once distracted, again recognize. That is the training.

Every level of teaching has its own purpose, and even though the very heart of the Buddhadharma is to recognize mind essence and train in that, still, there are obstacles and hindrances that need to be cleared away and enhancement practices that need to be done. An obstacle is something that prevents us from remaining in the natural state. These can be cleared away by certain practices. There are also ways to improve or enhance our practice and to deepen our experience. These two - clearing hindrances and enhancing - are extremely useful.'

Tulku Urgyen
:thanks: :good:

Dzogchen 101, 102, 103, etc.

As it is 1, 2, etc.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 60#p123774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:heart:
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

simhanada wrote: We generally do a shitro of Namchö Mingyur Dorje that like most teachings of Namchö Mingyur Dorje is very essential. This Shitro Khorde Rangdrol practice is quite simple as well. We apply it according to the system of Anuyoga and combine it with Namchö Mingyur Dorje’s system.
(Teachings on Shitro and Yangti, Shang Shung Edizioni
Chang Chog of the Namchö Shitro: A Purification Ritual for the Dead, Shang Shung Edizioni)
For those that would like to read a Namthar of Namchö Mingyur Dorje:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100653814/Kar ... gyur-Dorje

Or see this topic here at DW:
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1085

:smile:
Pero

Post by Pero »

username wrote:
Pero wrote:I'm sorry but I don't see how your reply explains what the supposed mental judgements in Semde are. If you're saying that the four yogas are conceptual methods till they're not, well, it's the same way in Mengagde methods (except thogal etc.).
These methods working with the mind emphasize different methodologies as the main toolbox as opposed to the other two series who rely not so much or in detail on training the conceptual mind as much as the "mind series instructions". The other two series expect the student to leave concepts behind much quicker for recognition. Though they all return to them for progress after recognition but still semde uses concepts much more in it's methods all the way. The other point I made was that the concepts in semde stages can seem to be oppositional as you progress, though in the end they unify well. There is a good reason for that.

Those 'mental judgements' are concepts. In the other two series there is not such a long roadmap involving so much concepts. You either get it or try again with various methods at various stages on progress orask the guru to troubleshoot. All 3 aim for rigpa but semde uses concepts (judgements etc.) much more & longer than the other two, hence Jigmed Lingpa's characterization so & the name given to that series.
I think this is not a convincing argument. You can say mengagde is faster and more direct but that doesn't do away with the fact that semdzins, rushans and zernga all use concepts. If anything there is actually a lot more practices with using the mind in mengagde than in semde (at least from what I've been able to see). So either Jigmed Lingpa is mistaken or something, or more likely, "mental judgements" refers to something else.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
username

Post by username »

Pero wrote:
username wrote:
Pero wrote:I'm sorry but I don't see how your reply explains what the supposed mental judgements in Semde are. If you're saying that the four yogas are conceptual methods till they're not, well, it's the same way in Mengagde methods (except thogal etc.).
These methods working with the mind emphasize different methodologies as the main toolbox as opposed to the other two series who rely not so much or in detail on training the conceptual mind as much as the "mind series instructions". The other two series expect the student to leave concepts behind much quicker for recognition. Though they all return to them for progress after recognition but still semde uses concepts much more in it's methods all the way. The other point I made was that the concepts in semde stages can seem to be oppositional as you progress, though in the end they unify well. There is a good reason for that.

Those 'mental judgements' are concepts. In the other two series there is not such a long roadmap involving so much concepts. You either get it or try again with various methods at various stages on progress orask the guru to troubleshoot. All 3 aim for rigpa but semde uses concepts (judgements etc.) much more & longer than the other two, hence Jigmed Lingpa's characterization so & the name given to that series.
I think this is not a convincing argument. You can say mengagde is faster and more direct but that doesn't do away with the fact that semdzins, rushans and zernga all use concepts. If anything there is actually a lot more practices with using the mind in mengagde than in semde (at least from what I've been able to see). So either Jigmed Lingpa is mistaken or something, or more likely, "mental judgements" refers to something else.
- As I said to you previously 'mental judgements' are concepts which you conveniently ignore above, hence I see no genuine intent here.

- As all high school students know: Human literary communication and semantic/cognitive thought expressed in words is concepts. This also applies to the words/texts of 3 series.

- Getting into the knowledge of the real nature, rigpa, as a result of the 3 series' fruits is beyond concepts though. But that is the fruit or result or target or destination not the texts/words or the means or path or vehicle employed.

- Semde takes the conceptual mind as the main material to work with as opposed to space in longde or 'right off the bat' DI in mengagde (as Jigmed Lingpa states in that quote you also did not read properly like else here) as well as in modular stages of the other 2 series without long term semantic/conceptual roadmap (as I said) in semde with your ordinary mind on the anvil to be hammered into shape. So it exclusively focuses on the conceptual mind as target of shaping 'by' conceptual mind. Example: like government of the people by the people as opposed to government of the people by a benevolent dictator. In semde the mind is used as both the method and the material. In longde space is emphasized and in mengagde you are given DI from start as the main means and if not successful work on prelims and if successful higher stages of trekcho & thogal work on getting into the state without a long term plan of shaping the conceptual ordinary mind, as in semde. So you have multiple basic misunderstandings plus not reading properly the quote or the specific replies.

- Rinpoche says he found after years of initial teachings that he realized he was being mistaken about a large number of his western students. He says he believed them when they said that they were realizing the state. But then he found out after some time they were just parroting phrases of realization. He thought about this problem for some time and realized many westerners are obsessed by concepts and it is not easy to for them to go beyond concepts. As we see here. So he researched semde texts, which were not used much as in Tibet mengagde has been the recent historic norm, and started preparing & teaching that to westerners. Then slowly he says he started to see results as he worked with their minds using semde over a longer period, than immediate DI fruit of mengagde. He says this gradual approach of working with conceptual mind (which you deny as characteristic of semde) seems more suited to many, but not all, westerners who suffer from being prisoners of concepts.
Pero wrote:So either Jigmed Lingpa is mistaken or something, or more likely, "mental judgements" refers to something else.
- Since mental judgments are concepts too, I don't think Jigmed Lingpa is the one who is wrong here.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Kris

Post by Kris »

Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Retreats at Merigar
August 31 – September 6, 2012
Longsal Atii Gongpa Gojed
The Opening of the Gate to the State of Ati (A ti’i dgongs pa sgo ’byed), set down in writing by Chögyal Namkhai Norbu in 1977, is a special teaching of Padmasambhava, the Mahaguru of Oddiyana (eighth century), that explains the conditions of the teaching in this degenerate age and presents a practice of Purification of the Six Lokas based on the principle of the reversal (ru log) of samsara. The dreams through which the upadesha was discovered are connected to Padmasambhava himself and to the author’s root guru Rigdzin Changchub Dorje (1826-1961).
(Longsal Teachings, Volume 2, Shang Shung Edizioni)
Can anyone give me more info about the upcoming retreat text and the practice of purification of the 6 realms of samsara?
or i can just be a bit more patient........ :tantrum:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

also is there a list or document for the lineage of ChNN Rinpoche?
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

RikudouSennin wrote:also is there a list or document for the lineage of ChNN Rinpoche?

Hello RikudouSennin all and All,

:namaste:

Try:

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... rd=6+lokas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... rch_list&s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[match]=all&s[search]=6+loka&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[cid]=0&s[subcats]=Y&s[mid]=0&s[sku]=&s[price_from]=&s[price_to]=&s[weight_from]=&s[weight_to]=

http://www.shangshunguk.org/v1/?keyword ... rch=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are the 3 main sources for books for the DC.

It is good to always look in all three places, as many times (as now searching on 6 Lokas) there are different materials available.

The rules are also variable, changing from time to time, and place to place, depending on the functional kindness (which relates to how much practice they have done) of the person in charge at the moment. :smile:

In general you can have access to all books if you are a member of the DC.

You can have access to the DVDs and MP3s of the retreats, if you attended that retreat.

If you attest that you listened to the retreat on the webcast, that may be allowed (see above).

In few words, the 6 Loka practice uses creative visualization, and the repetition of mantra, to effect a, non-dual, luminous experience of dissolving the body into light.

I did a 4 month retreat on the 6 Loka practice using the old method, which does not use special body postures for each "loka", and found it completely effective.

I have also tried the new method, which uses special body postures, and found it equally effective.

I think that which method may be more effective, may depend on individual temperament.

There are key points which unlock the practice, like "back very straight" and "completely bright", which you should learn from a Teacher. (Note: I am not a Teacher.) :smile:

For the lineage of ChNNR:

http://tsegyalgar.org/theteachers/namkhainorbu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps,

ob

PS - liked your signature poem
Last edited by oldbob on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kris

Post by Kris »

by lineage i meant is there a list that goes back to Garab Dorje or the Omniscient One Longchenpa?
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

RikudouSennin,

Quick answer:

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu's three main teachers (he had many more teachers however):

- Changchub Dorje, a terton, who attained rainbow body. His root guru.
- Togden Ogyen Tendzin, attained rainbow body. An uncle of his.
- Ayu Khandro, yogini who spent over 40 years in dark retreat. Upon passing, her body shrunk.

Changchub Dorje's teachers:
- Nyala Pema Duddul: Terton, who attained rainbow body.
- Adzom Drugpa (who ChNN is the rebirth of)
- Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen: Bonpo, attained rainbow body.

Togden Ogyen Tendzin's teachers:
- Adzom Drugpa

Ayu Khandro's teachers:
- Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
- Nyala Pema Duddul
- Adzom Drugpa

There's more information on these teachers from sites like RYWiki, RigpaWiki and Wikipedia. But there's also the very valuable books Masters of Meditation, Marvelous Garland, and more.

Read up on the following links, and click on in-site links for more back information if you like:

http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Adzom_Drukpa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Nyakla_Pema_Dudul" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Jamy ... tse_Wangpo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Paltrul_Rinpoche" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Do_K ... eshe_Dorje" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Khenpo_Pema_Dorje" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Jamg ... odro_Thaye" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Mipham_Rinpoche" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Rigdzin_Jigme_Lingpa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(just some teachers in the lineage, as an example)

So, in short, yes - ChNN's linage goes back to Longchenpa, it goes back to Guru Padmasambhava, it goes back to Garab Dorje.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

RikudouSennin wrote:by lineage i meant is there a list that goes back to Garab Dorje or the Omniscient One Longchenpa?
Don't know.

My take (47 years with the Tibetans) is that ChNN Rinpoche is Garab Dorje and the Omniscient One Longchenpa. :smile:

Don't need the list.

ob
Last edited by oldbob on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

oldbob wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote:by lineage i meant is there a list that goes back to Garab Dorje or the Omniscient One Longchenpa?
Don't know.

My take (47 years with the Tibetans) is that CHNNR is Garab Dorje and the Omniscient One Longchenpa. :smile:

Don't need the list.

ob
:thumbsup:
Kris

Post by Kris »

:twothumbsup: :woohoo: :P :thanks:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

this is my first time attending a live webcast and i realized something.
Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche teaches dzogchen, directly with no dilution,no bs, hes trying to get everyone into that real condition.

Jaya Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche !!!!!!
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines

Return to “Dzogchen”