Starting from scratch, but slightly overwhelmed :)

do_not_zzz

Starting from scratch, but slightly overwhelmed :)

Post by do_not_zzz »

:namaste:

Spend the afternoon on the SGI-USA website and have a deep interest in beginning a Nichirin Practice. Although, I am new to SGI, I have been studying/practicing Buddhism for 8 years. I have no SGI groups near me (that I'm aware of) and am wanting to know from someone that came from similar circumstances what the best way to begin a practice is. Thanks!!!

DnZ
markp

Re: Starting from scratch, but slightly overwhelmed :)

Post by markp »

Where are you from? There may be someone near you, but if not you may find an independent practice will work for you. We have downloadable Gohonzon and Gongyo books at ionbuddhism.org
The observer and that which is observed are everywhere produced by the matrix of causality and conditions. In all that is produced by causality and conditions, there is emptiness of self.
The Great Calm-Observation, Volume 5, Part 3, Page 1
do_not_zzz

Post by do_not_zzz »

markp wrote:Where are you from? There may be someone near you, but if not you may find an independent practice will work for you. We have downloadable Gohonzon and Gongyo books at ionbuddhism.org
Mark,

Thank you so much for your response! The nearest center is about 90 miles from my home (which doesn't make it a practical journey, even on the weekends due to my current financial situation). I will check out the website you provided. Any other study tools/advice you could give me would be very much appreciated. Feel free to either PM me or keep posting! :twothumbsup:

Metta,

DnZ
do_not_zzz

Post by do_not_zzz »

Also, I have downloaded the e-book http://ionbuddhism.org/files/ACGongyo1.pdf but am still unclear exactly how to practice.
markp

Post by markp »

There are some sites that have gongyo files available that you can download so you can hear how it is done, just have to search the term gongyo. The main practice is NMRK though, so don't worry too much on Gongyo right away. I do love Gongyo though because it is what really gets you started every day. :)
The observer and that which is observed are everywhere produced by the matrix of causality and conditions. In all that is produced by causality and conditions, there is emptiness of self.
The Great Calm-Observation, Volume 5, Part 3, Page 1
rory

Post by rory »

Welcome! since you are a Buddhist I'll tell you to avoid Soka Gakkai, they really are a neo-buddhist prosperity cult. No joke. There are plenty of excellent Nichiren Buddhist groups that you can get involved with and as Mark P has posted the Independents are a great resource. You can practice successfully on your own. I did in the middle of Ireland :smile:
feel free to ask any questions
with gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Return to “Nichiren”