Made me laugh...

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
beautiful breath

Made me laugh...

Post by beautiful breath »

I sit every morning at around 5am, after which I return to bed with a morning coffee for my partner.

I read this quote from Zoketsu Norman Fischer "Zazen is fundamentally a useless and pointless activity".

My partner (who is not a Buddhist) replied: "I don't think its pointless, I get a coffee in bed every morning"

BB...
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Made me laugh...

Post by Queequeg »

Ha. Reminded me of Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
lobster

Post by lobster »

My partner (who is not a Buddhist) replied: "I don't think its pointless, I get a coffee in bed every morning"
Not a Buddhist?
They must be a Buddha.
Which can only mean, there is a point to practice. :twothumbsup:
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Actually, I think this is a good teaching tale. How to keep your partner happy when you are a serious daily meditator? Make doing something nice for them part of the routine.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”