Pure Land thoughts

Pure Land thoughts

Postby gyougan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi!

Until about now, I have been very confused whether buddhas, bodhisattavas, pure lands, hells, etc exist "really" or simply as metaphors. But I realized that there's no way I can figure out which is the true view. What I know, however, is that these things definitely exits IN SOME SENSE which my mind is incapable of understanding at the moment. And that's enough! Feels really like being a stupid bonpu, but I feel that's the right path!

Another thing, do you feel one should solely focus on Amida or if it would be a good idea to be aware of other buddhas and bodhisattvas as well? Let's not forget that the Contemplation Sutra recommends visualizing Avalokiteshvara (and the other bodhisattva which name I can't recall at the moment). Wouldn't it be a good idea to recite NAMO KANZEON BOSATSU from time to time? I think I used to focus so much on Amida that I basically denied the existence of countless of great beings, losing the ability to give respect to them! And that's not the right way.

Third thing, I think nembutsu practitioners should try to see how much more they are concerned about trivial matters or pleasures than about nembutsu. In Japanase one could say like like 常の念仏 tsune no nembutsu, constant nembutsu. We should really strive to be in as constant nembutsu as possible!

Namo Amida Butsu :smile:
gyougan
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:37 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Pure Land thoughts

Postby plwk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:14 pm

the sky is blue and the grass is green... namu amida butsu.. namu kannon bosatsu... namu amida butsu...
plwk
 
Posts: 2642
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am

Re: Pure Land thoughts

Postby dakini_boi » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:20 pm

gyougan wrote:
Until about now, I have been very confused whether buddhas, bodhisattavas, pure lands, hells, etc exist "really" or simply as metaphors. But I realized that there's no way I can figure out which is the true view. What I know, however, is that these things definitely exits IN SOME SENSE which my mind is incapable of understanding at the moment. And that's enough! Feels really like being a stupid bonpu, but I feel that's the right path!


You are correct - you have reached the limit of your conceptual understanding, and you have come to have faith that there is a "reality" outside of your dualistic limits. :thumbsup: It's irrelevant whether you think Amitabha is "real" or a "symbol." These are equally conceptual designations, so just do the practice (as you are doing) and in time discover the true nature of Amitabha through experience.

gyougan wrote:Another thing, do you feel one should solely focus on Amida or if it would be a good idea to be aware of other buddhas and bodhisattvas as well? Let's not forget that the Contemplation Sutra recommends visualizing Avalokiteshvara (and the other bodhisattva which name I can't recall at the moment). Wouldn't it be a good idea to recite NAMO KANZEON BOSATSU from time to time? I think I used to focus so much on Amida that I basically denied the existence of countless of great beings, losing the ability to give respect to them! And that's not the right way.


Follow your inspiration. Consider that it is only your own dualistic limit which sees the Buddhas as different. They are all of exactly the same mind. If you focus solely on Amitabha, all Buddhas are contained within him. No one is going to feel left out. On the other hand, you can also make prayers to a different Buddha every moment from now until eternity, and never run out of Buddhas to receive blessings from.

Keep up the good work!!! :anjali:
dakini_boi
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Pure Land thoughts

Postby Music » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:56 pm

What does it mean to focus on amitabha, just reciting his name?
Music
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:43 pm
Location: India

Re: Pure Land thoughts

Postby gyougan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Music wrote:What does it mean to focus on amitabha, just reciting his name?


As for me, reciting the name but not "obsessively". Trying to be aware of the inconceivable light. Trying to integrate nembutsu with daily life!
gyougan
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:37 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Pure Land thoughts

Postby gyougan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:18 pm

dakini_boy, thanks for that post. I truly appreciate! :bow:
gyougan
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:37 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Pure Land thoughts

Postby Osho » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:04 am

Good place to be is not-knowing.
Chanting plus not-knowing,even better.
;-)
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).
User avatar
Osho
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:09 pm


Return to Pure Land

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: duckfiasco, Inge, smcj, steveb1 and 5 guests

>