How to disrupt any Buddhist conversation:

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
udawa

Re: How to disrupt any Buddhist conversation:

Post by udawa »

catmoon wrote:Image
It's not often that I read anything here that really makes me smile.

This did for some reason.

Thanks

D
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
muni

Post by muni »

catmoon wrote:Image
Teaching melon pushing cat? Moon in water. Our mind fishes the moon reflection out of the water for investigation. By investigation of mind, the reflections are easier seen.

:namaste:
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

This watermelon is pushing the cat out of a lake.

Your invalidity is (just) an argument.

:guns:
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

DarwidHalim wrote:This watermelon is pushing the cat out of a lake.
Obviously, the watermellon is pulling the cat out of the lake... :tongue:

:rolling:

If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

The thing that bores me more than anything is dzogchen and the fixation on rainbow body. How can I get rainbow body? We can get rainbow body! Just do guru yoga. Follow what the master says.
Then there are those who teach themselves from books and become their own teachers.
Actually all Buddhists conversations are pretty much irrelevant now that I think about it.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Andrew108 wrote: Then there are those who teach themselves from books and become their own teachers..
[Serious note] Those sort of people do not acheive rainbow body, or any much, for that matter.
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Talking about death is a good one. Buddhists think that they can work a few tricks into dying and get something out of it. When I saw my Mum die I realised that you just die and there's no room for contrived tricks or techniques. I hated all the Buddhist books about how to die well. How to have a good death. It's an industry preying on our fear. Just like Madhyamaka makes geniuses of us all and Dzogchen will give us rainbow bodies.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

Andrew108 wrote:Talking about death is a good one. Buddhists think that they can work a few tricks into dying and get something out of it. When I saw my Mum die I realised that you just die and there's no room for contrived tricks or techniques. I hated all the Buddhist books about how to die well. How to have a good death. It's an industry preying on our fear. Just like Madhyamaka makes geniuses of us all and Dzogchen will give us rainbow bodies.
"Dying a good death" is important, as one who has seen a lot of violent or long wasting-disease deaths. It's as important for the living left-behind as for the dying person.

Do I detect a bit of a crises in faith, here, Andrew108? It's an easy 'view' to fall into. Once the falling starts, stopping the falling is difficult. Even if just seen as 'metaphors', the lessons of Buddha are important.

Perhaps you need a rest from Buddhist forums :heart:

P.S. Apologies if I am misreading and becoming too serious! :smile:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

If during awake, the truth of Buddha is unseen, it is extremely hard to see that during the death time.

It will be already too late to do something at that moment.

Why do you see buddhism as Madyamaka and Dzogchen?

Buddhism is about seeing reality as precisely as possible and that is all.

There is no Madyamaka there, there is no Dzogchen there, there is no Mahayana there, there is no Theravada there. Why should we care about it?
I am not here nor there.
I am not I nor non-I.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DarwidHalim wrote:
There is no Madyamaka there, there is no Dzogchen there, there is no Mahayana there, there is no Theravada there. Why should we care about it?

:woohoo:
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

This is all well and good, Watermelons, cats, and yogic drowning, but who's going to get my son a job, that's what I wanna know?

:tongue:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

DarwidHalim wrote: There is no Madyamaka there, there is no Dzogchen there, there is no Mahayana there, there is no Theravada there. Why should we care about it?
In which case there is no Dharma Wheel there. There is no Buddhist forum there. There is only reality precisely seen as possible and that is all.

Words fail to ascertain the profound reality therein of "no Dharma Wheel" and "no Buddhist forum", so why speak?

The quintessential subtle reality of "no Dharma Wheel" is profound. Bewildering. Awesome. Silent.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

The thread has gone insane and belongs in the Lounge now.

Go nuts people.

DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

By the way, has Nagarjuna ever said he is Madyamaka?

Has Garab Dorje ever said he taught Dzogchen view?

Has Bodhidharma ever said he is Zen master?

Isn't it foolish then to put that on your journey and feel you belong to this or that?
Last edited by DarwidHalim on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not here nor there.
I am not I nor non-I.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

conebeckham wrote:This is all well and good, Watermelons, cats, and yogic drowning, but who's going to get my son a job, that's what I wanna know?

:tongue:
Dad. ;)

I'm advising my girls to look at the potential in India, or of working with clients based in India.

I hear they have vacancies in the 'Drowning Cats in Watermelons' department of the US Embassy there....;)
Left
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

viniketa wrote:Do I detect a bit of a crises in faith, here, Andrew108? It's an easy 'view' to fall into. Once the falling starts, stopping the falling is difficult. Even if just seen as 'metaphors', the lessons of Buddha are important.

Perhaps you need a rest from Buddhist forums :heart:

P.S. Apologies if I am misreading and becoming too serious! :smile:
Not really a crisis of faith. I still consider Buddhist and Dzogchen methods the best at cutting through all the suffering that goes on in the world . It's just that I don't try to get anything anymore. I see sanity, openness and the wish to communicate as the real goals to aim for. Basic sanity means not running away from the ordinary. Openness means not having a strategy or wish to control someone or condition them with Buddhist views. And wish to communicate means talking to anyone about anything and hoping to be of benefit. For example I see sex as a wish to communicate and so I'm not hung up on Buddhist morality so much these days.
About Dzogchen - it is truly amazing but it's not something I really want to talk about. The only thing I want to get from it are enhanced sanity, enhanced openness and enhanced wish to communicate. I certainly don't want rainbow body or some monstrous realization that would make me mind other people's business.
The Blessed One said:

viniketa

Post by viniketa »

Andrew108 wrote:Openness means not having a strategy or wish to control someone or condition them with Buddhist views.
Ah, at least you are still sane, then. ;-)

Thanks for the reply.

Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

At this point insert:

''I know it's wrong but I REALLY fancy the Borg Queen, even if that duality is contra to the collective non-duality..'

Left
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

viniketa wrote:
DarwidHalim wrote:This watermelon is pushing the cat out of a lake.
Obviously, the watermellon is pulling the cat out of the lake...
You are both wrong, the cat is pushing the watermelon out of the lake while the watermelon is pushing the cat into the lake. Look closely and apply some physics. :jumping:
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

For every cat, there is an equal an opposite watermelon.

Yep.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Lounge”