Yantra Mat

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
bunny

Yantra Mat

Post by bunny »

I think this is the right for this thread apologies if this is in the wrong place. I'm still finding my bearings, if I placed it incorrectly please place it in the correct place.

I noticed a mat last time I visited the health food store I thought it was a Yoga Mat, but on further inspection it was a Yantra Mat. Has anyone used such a mat? If so did you find any benefits?
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Lhug-Pa

Re: Yantra Mat

Post by Lhug-Pa »

A Yantra mat, interesting. What is it made out of?

On the Yantra Yoga DVD's from Shang Shung, it looks like they're using a type of rug.

I have a real-wool Yoga blanket, and just fold it in half or in half twice depending on the movement.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Lhug-Pa: this is from the yanta mat website: http://theyantramat.co.uk/about-acupressure-mat.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes it is a type of mat, I currently use a mat I got from a thrift store I got during my stay in Canada. I was just curious as to whether it would have any benefits or not. What I mean by this is from people who have used them. I appreciate that stores will say almost anything to sell a product.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

At first I was sort of under the impression that it might have been a mat made specifically for Yantra Yoga, which I'd never heard of, and which it obviously is not.

I've never used a "Yantra Mat", so I don't know if it lives up to its claims.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Thank you for your reply Lhug-Pa.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

That website says it is based on acupressure, an area of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Although not an expert, I understand acupressure to be more than massaging random spots on your back with a mat.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

Kaji wrote:Although not an expert, I understand acupressure to be more than massaging random spots on your back with a mat.
Indeed. This seems merely a ploy to sell mats. Yantras are good meditative objects, but not if you're sitting on them! :roll:

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
zangskar

Post by zangskar »

I like them. My mother does too. For sitting or laying on. But it's not for yoga. If you asked for a yoga mat and that's what you need then you can ask for your money back since the seller doesn't know what he's selling. The producer is definitely a commercial operation but for all the claims of health benefits, I personally go by a simple "what you see/feel/taste/smell/hear is what you get" criteria: If it feels good to sit on it, that's the benefit, and if you're ill, see a doctor.

On the "feels nice" gimmicks topic I can recommend something for the head too, like these

Best wishes
Lars
chokyi lodro

Post by chokyi lodro »

My mother used a mat a bit like that for years. It was a yoga mat, but had a simplified yantra-like device in the middle. No averse effects, and she used yoga to prevent having to have spinal surgery.

:woohoo:

(she also found the yantra useful for keeping count of her repetitions!) :mrgreen:
~ Chökyi Lodrö

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”