Bird Pays Homage to Amitabha

Bird Pays Homage to Amitabha

Postby Lotus415 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:12 am

Amituofo!
I came across this picture a while ago, and found it quite touching! Unfortunately, I do not know the location or story behind it. Perhaps someone can inform us.
Attachments
303465_3034084499284_1478081480_32142793_1210888202_n.jpg
303465_3034084499284_1478081480_32142793_1210888202_n.jpg (60.13 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Lotus415
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Bird Pays Homage to Amitabha

Postby Kaji » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:13 am

Lotus415 wrote:Amituofo!
I came across this picture a while ago, and found it quite touching! Unfortunately, I do not know the location or story behind it. Perhaps someone can inform us.

Yes, I have read this story on Weibo (or miniblog, China's version of Twitter). I recall that it was confirmed - the bird was reborn to the Pure Land.

Namo Amitaabhaaya Tathaagathaaya!
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
User avatar
Kaji
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:16 am
Location: Perth

Re: Bird Pays Homage to Amitabha

Postby Mr. G » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Kaji wrote:
Lotus415 wrote:I recall that it was confirmed - the bird was reborn to the Pure Land.


How was this confirmed?
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Bird Pays Homage to Amitabha

Postby Kaji » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Mr. G wrote:
Kaji wrote:
Lotus415 wrote:I recall that it was confirmed - the bird was reborn to the Pure Land.


How was this confirmed?

Apparently there are people who can see what normal human eyes cannot see. Some of them can see into the Pure Land.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
User avatar
Kaji
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:16 am
Location: Perth

Re: Bird Pays Homage to Amitabha

Postby Son » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:18 pm

Kaji wrote:
Mr. G wrote:
Lotus415 wrote:I recall that it was confirmed - the bird was reborn to the Pure Land.


How was this confirmed?

Apparently there are people who can see what normal human eyes cannot see. Some of them can see into the Pure Land.


They can see the pure land on another planet? What do they say about it?
User avatar
Son
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Bird Pays Homage to Amitabha

Postby Kaji » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:16 am

Son wrote:They can see the pure land on another planet? What do they say about it?

I think some of them can also see other planets, other galaxies, the deva and preta realms. Some use their power to see into the bodies of sick people and help cure them. I have heard some people can see not only into for example the Western Pure Land, but also your lotus flower there. (It is said that when you have made a vow to be reborn in the Western Pure Land, your lotus flower would appear in the pond in preparation for your rebirth there. The lotus flower shows how you are doing in your current Pure Land practice. Big and bright - good. Withering - not so good.)

I do not know any of these people very well, although I can contact a couple of them if I really want to. I just don't see any immediate need for their abilities. Asking them to have a look at my lotus flower (hopefully it's there) is nice, but if I am keen to be reborn in the Western Pure Land and follow the Buddha's teaching diligently and wholeheartedly I know I will be reborn there no doubt.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
User avatar
Kaji
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:16 am
Location: Perth

Re: Bird Pays Homage to Amitabha

Postby Son » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:57 am

Kaji wrote:
Son wrote:They can see the pure land on another planet? What do they say about it?

I think some of them can also see other planets, other galaxies, the deva and preta realms. Some use their power to see into the bodies of sick people and help cure them. I have heard some people can see not only into for example the Western Pure Land, but also your lotus flower there. (It is said that when you have made a vow to be reborn in the Western Pure Land, your lotus flower would appear in the pond in preparation for your rebirth there. The lotus flower shows how you are doing in your current Pure Land practice. Big and bright - good. Withering - not so good.)

I do not know any of these people very well, although I can contact a couple of them if I really want to. I just don't see any immediate need for their abilities. Asking them to have a look at my lotus flower (hopefully it's there) is nice, but if I am keen to be reborn in the Western Pure Land and follow the Buddha's teaching diligently and wholeheartedly I know I will be reborn there no doubt.


No, I myself have the divine eye. I just haven't explored much practice into Pure Land. Coming from the ground of tradition, up, I of course understand the realms, spheres, dimensions and hence the five suddhavasa realms (which is somewhat where the Pure Land originates from). After following Buddha Gautama's teaching, practicing Thera, Vajra, and Zen, I have studied into Pure Land as well. Consciousness, the empowerment of Buddha Mind, manifestations and their emanations, embodiment, representations and mantra itself are very useful and as I understand Pure Land traditionally has made efficient use of this principle.

I haven't had the development of the divine eye to see Pure Land phenomena as of yet, but I haven't focused on that at all. As I understand, on the whole the Pure Land refers to people born with conditions favorable to enlightenment. This could be people reborn on earth in communities where practice is beneficial and safe and they are disposed to progressing easily through enlightenment. It also includes distant places which are incredibly favorable for enlightenment, and furthermore the five suddhavasa realms, which are indeed vast--spanning the space of a billion worlds--and where anagamis (non-returners) are born to achieve nirvana. They are the realms of enlightenment, at the top of the cosmos where consciousness is expanding exceedingly vastly, and time is almost slowed to standstillness because of the mental refinement.

I have definitely not reached the meditative states of concentration to perceive the suddhavasa realms, or any of the form realms of brahma. But the divine eye's nature is familiar to me, and so are devas, less so asuras, and pretas somewhat. I look forward to exploring this realm of perception. Thank you for your input.

If you want to elaborate on the lotuses, or if you have other similar knowledge, I'd be happy to hear it.

Son
User avatar
Son
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Bird Pays Homage to Amitabha

Postby Kaji » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:51 am

Son wrote:No, I myself have the divine eye. I just haven't explored much practice into Pure Land. Coming from the ground of tradition, up, I of course understand the realms, spheres, dimensions and hence the five suddhavasa realms (which is somewhat where the Pure Land originates from). After following Buddha Gautama's teaching, practicing Thera, Vajra, and Zen, I have studied into Pure Land as well. Consciousness, the empowerment of Buddha Mind, manifestations and their emanations, embodiment, representations and mantra itself are very useful and as I understand Pure Land traditionally has made efficient use of this principle.

I haven't had the development of the divine eye to see Pure Land phenomena as of yet, but I haven't focused on that at all. As I understand, on the whole the Pure Land refers to people born with conditions favorable to enlightenment. This could be people reborn on earth in communities where practice is beneficial and safe and they are disposed to progressing easily through enlightenment. It also includes distant places which are incredibly favorable for enlightenment, and furthermore the five suddhavasa realms, which are indeed vast--spanning the space of a billion worlds--and where anagamis (non-returners) are born to achieve nirvana. They are the realms of enlightenment, at the top of the cosmos where consciousness is expanding exceedingly vastly, and time is almost slowed to standstillness because of the mental refinement.

I have definitely not reached the meditative states of concentration to perceive the suddhavasa realms, or any of the form realms of brahma. But the divine eye's nature is familiar to me, and so are devas, less so asuras, and pretas somewhat. I look forward to exploring this realm of perception. Thank you for your input.

If you want to elaborate on the lotuses, or if you have other similar knowledge, I'd be happy to hear it.

Son

By "divine eye", do you mean divyacakṣṣus (deva-eye), the first of the six abhijñā (supernatural powers)?

I understand that a human can have deva-eye generally in the following ways:
- Through practice
- Born with it, being a result of things done in previous life(lives)
- Relying on another being, e.g. a ghost/spirit

May I ask which one is yours?

Personally I would not investigate too much into the nature of the Western Pure Land. The Buddha has said that the mechanism of Amitabha's vows regarding the WPL is so difficult to understand, that not even a Bodhisattva at the 51st stage (just one below Buddhahood) can fully get it without a Buddha's empowerment.

The practice of WPL is one that requires faith in Sakyamuni Buddha's teaching. That is why for some people it is too difficult to believe for them to accept it.

Instead of me telling you what I know about the PWL, it would be easier if you take a look at the five sutra of WPL practice. Perhaps start with the Amitabha Sutra (the shorter one)?
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
User avatar
Kaji
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:16 am
Location: Perth

Re: Bird Pays Homage to Amitabha

Postby Son » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:01 am

Kaji wrote:
Son wrote:No, I myself have the divine eye. I just haven't explored much practice into Pure Land. Coming from the ground of tradition, up, I of course understand the realms, spheres, dimensions and hence the five suddhavasa realms (which is somewhat where the Pure Land originates from). After following Buddha Gautama's teaching, practicing Thera, Vajra, and Zen, I have studied into Pure Land as well. Consciousness, the empowerment of Buddha Mind, manifestations and their emanations, embodiment, representations and mantra itself are very useful and as I understand Pure Land traditionally has made efficient use of this principle.

I haven't had the development of the divine eye to see Pure Land phenomena as of yet, but I haven't focused on that at all. As I understand, on the whole the Pure Land refers to people born with conditions favorable to enlightenment. This could be people reborn on earth in communities where practice is beneficial and safe and they are disposed to progressing easily through enlightenment. It also includes distant places which are incredibly favorable for enlightenment, and furthermore the five suddhavasa realms, which are indeed vast--spanning the space of a billion worlds--and where anagamis (non-returners) are born to achieve nirvana. They are the realms of enlightenment, at the top of the cosmos where consciousness is expanding exceedingly vastly, and time is almost slowed to standstillness because of the mental refinement.

I have definitely not reached the meditative states of concentration to perceive the suddhavasa realms, or any of the form realms of brahma. But the divine eye's nature is familiar to me, and so are devas, less so asuras, and pretas somewhat. I look forward to exploring this realm of perception. Thank you for your input.

If you want to elaborate on the lotuses, or if you have other similar knowledge, I'd be happy to hear it.

Son

By "divine eye", do you mean divyacakṣṣus (deva-eye), the first of the six abhijñā (supernatural powers)?


Yes the divine eye, one of five special "eyes," including the flesh eye, dharma eye, wisdom eye, and buddha eye.

]I understand that a human can have deva-eye generally in the following ways:
- Through practice
- Born with it, being a result of things done in previous life(lives)
- Relying on another being, e.g. a ghost/spirit

May I ask which one is yours?


The second one, but also due to the first reason, vitally.
User avatar
Son
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Bird Pays Homage to Amitabha

Postby Kaji » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:10 am

Son wrote:
Kaji wrote:I understand that a human can have deva-eye generally in the following ways:
- Through practice
- Born with it, being a result of things done in previous life(lives)
- Relying on another being, e.g. a ghost/spirit

May I ask which one is yours?


The second one, but also due to the first reason, vitally.

Thanks for your reply!

I hope you can see the Western Pure Land soon. I think this ability can help you in sending people over there, especially in deathbed nienfo services.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
User avatar
Kaji
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:16 am
Location: Perth


Return to Pure Land

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

>