Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Example:

Q: How does karma work?

A1: Karma means intention and what results from intention

A2: There is no karma because karma is just a name...

Conversation sputters and dies and or goes off into long irrelevant screeds about "prasanga" madhyamaka, etc.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am
Posts: 1596
Great example. I will try it next time :tongue: .

How about developing short and fast answer for sunyata addicts, that will easily extinguish their enthusiasm?

_________________
Say what you think about me here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
My son's name is Karma....as to how he works, well......

He's a recent graduate. Need I say more?

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
conebeckham wrote:
My son's name is Karma....as to how he works, well......

He's a recent graduate. Need I say more?


In reality you do not have any son. Why, because if you had a son, then your son must have inherently arisen, but since there is no inherent existence your son cannot have arisen. Since there is no arising, you do not have any son, because it is impossible that there can be any arising. And we all know that this is what prasanga says, and even that does not say anything...

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am
Posts: 3043
We easely forget the beauty of interaction by shooting our view to eachother. We forget in righteness; dependency - no inherent existence.

Regarding that arisen;
Not to know the equality of appearance emptiness
And get attached to appearances alone is delusion
But to get attached to emptiness alone is delusion too
If you know the equality of appearance emptiness
There's no need to get caught up in or give up phenomena...
:namaste:

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_lNuNUVd4


Last edited by muni on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:51 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Posts: 2107
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Or the other one is that there is no killing since there is no soul and anyway, we don't exist. There is no person, animal, being to kill. And the animal, human, being will be reborn, so you can't kill him anyway. :rolleye:

Such rubbish could justify a small killing to even a genocide.

Which of course is poetic nonsense as the Buddha clearly mentioned how all beings suffer and feel pain and how we should not cause them pain or death.

_________________
Image
www.TheDhamma.com/
Dhamma Wiki encyclopedia
Dhamma Wheel forum


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Malcolm wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
My son's name is Karma....as to how he works, well......

He's a recent graduate. Need I say more?


In reality you do not have any son. Why, because if you had a son, then your son must have inherently arisen, but since there is no inherent existence your son cannot have arisen. Since there is no arising, you do not have any son, because it is impossible that there can be any arising. And we all know that this is what prasanga says, and even that does not say anything...


Excellent, and thanks! I'll let him know....I'm sure it will make his job search that much easier.

:rolling:

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
oh....and as for his "Arising," he'd stand a better chance of working if he could get his arising to happen prior to the noon hour.


:tongue:

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
David N. Snyder wrote:
Or the other one is that there is no killing since there is no soul and anyway, we don't exist. There is no person, animal, being to kill. And the animal, human, being will be reborn, so you can't kill him anyway. :rolleye:

Such rubbish could justify a small killing to even a genocide.

Which of course is poetic nonsense as the Buddha clearly mentioned how all beings suffer and feel pain and how we should not cause them pain or death.


Buddha was merely speaking to those who are ignorant of their own non-existence. Once they understand they do not exist, they will cease to feel any pain. Remember, after all, you only feel pain if you are ignorant. Even that ignorance of course is merely a convention, just like Buddha, in which case we can be free of any struggle at all, now that we have discerned that since neither Buddha nor suffering exist we can all relax... :cheers: Prasanga Beer!

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:20 am
Posts: 86
Location: Apache Junction, Arizona
oushi wrote:
Great example. I will try it next time :tongue: .

How about developing short and fast answer for sunyata addicts, that will easily extinguish their enthusiasm?


Sure, tell them to stand in front of a train, since the train, movement, and the person standing in front of it don't exist there should be no problem :jawdrop:

Kinda like the psychics who never seem to win the lottery.

_________________
The nonexistence of the transcendence of suffering
is what the protector of the world has taught as the transcendence
of suffering.
Knots tied on space
are untied by space itself.

May I never be seperated from perfect masters in all lives,
and delightfully experiencing the magnificent dharma,
completing all qualities of the stages of the paths
may I quickly attain the state of Vajradhara


Last edited by Tarpa on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:26 am
Posts: 189
Malcolm wrote:
Since there is no arising, you do not have any son, because it is impossible that there can be any arising.


:thumbsup:


I wish more "Buddhists" :quoteunquote: understood nonarising.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Tarpa wrote:
oushi wrote:
Great example. I will try it next time :tongue: .

How about developing short and fast answer for sunyata addicts, that will easily extinguish their enthusiasm?


Sure, tell them to stand in front of a train, since the train, movement, and the person standing in front of it don't exist there should be no problem :jawdrop:


Well, that is actually being called "being run over by one's own ignorance"

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am
Posts: 1596
Don't hate, meditate!

_________________
Say what you think about me here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:26 am
Posts: 189
oushi wrote:
Don't hate, meditate!


Meditation is contrived and conceptual

Karmamudra is better

:applause:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:33 pm
Posts: 365
Tarpa wrote:
Sure, tell them to stand in front of a train, since the train, movement, and the person standing in front of it don't exist there should be no problem :jawdrop:

Kinda like the psychics who never seem to win the lottery.


Or like the philosopher who proved that black is white...

Douglas Adams wrote:
"The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
"'But,' says Man, 'the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
"'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next pedestrian crossing.

_________________
"Forget about being clever, and simply remain." Guru Rinpoche, Treasures from Juniper Ridge


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:40 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Posts: 2995
Location: British Columbia
Malcolm wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:
Or the other one is that there is no killing since there is no soul and anyway, we don't exist. There is no person, animal, being to kill. And the animal, human, being will be reborn, so you can't kill him anyway. :rolleye:

Such rubbish could justify a small killing to even a genocide.

Which of course is poetic nonsense as the Buddha clearly mentioned how all beings suffer and feel pain and how we should not cause them pain or death.


Buddha was merely speaking to those who are ignorant of their own non-existence. Once they understand they do not exist, they will cease to feel any pain. Remember, after all, you only feel pain if you are ignorant. Even that ignorance of course is merely a convention, just like Buddha, in which case we can be free of any struggle at all, now that we have discerned that since neither Buddha nor suffering exist we can all relax... :cheers: Prasanga Beer!


You have no argument. There is no one to make an argument, nor is there anyone to argue with. You are disagreeing with conceptual labels that have no existence of their own. Let go of your attachment to labels and be free.

<sigh>

_________________
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Posts: 1434
Location: Globe
catmoon wrote:
You have no argument. There is no one to make an argument, nor is there anyone to argue with. <sigh>

No, you have no argument. And I have no argument. Wait a minute, did we argue? Did anyone argue? Wait.. let's start over.
:applause:

Kevin

_________________
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

http://www.dalailama.com/webcasts/post/336-je-tsongkhapas-great-stages-of-the-path
http://www.ripple.org
http://caretoclick.com/save-the-rainforests/donate-clicks-likes-and-tweets-to-fight-climate-change-and-deforestation


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:56 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Posts: 2995
Location: British Columbia
Image

_________________
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm
Posts: 1967
Just post a series of random statements with pretend links:

In the middle of a discussion on rebirth, chuck em in at random:

Anyone like Knitting Patterns?

I read that Buddhism is about Elk Sexing........

How does a beginner learn Yogic Drowning?

PM me on if a lotus lives in muck and I eat it, is it Coprophagia?

_________________
Left


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:20 am
Posts: 86
Location: Apache Junction, Arizona
Yay elk sexing ! :pig: elk sexing and ice cream okayyesthankyouplease

_________________
The nonexistence of the transcendence of suffering
is what the protector of the world has taught as the transcendence
of suffering.
Knots tied on space
are untied by space itself.

May I never be seperated from perfect masters in all lives,
and delightfully experiencing the magnificent dharma,
completing all qualities of the stages of the paths
may I quickly attain the state of Vajradhara


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group