Question about the First Precept

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
bunny

Question about the First Precept

Post by bunny »

Does this refer to all living things. What I mean by this, is does it extend to the Fruits and Berries on trees and hedgerows. Does it extend to nuts and vegetables?

The way I read it, that yes it does but I am seeking clarification. Any time I have seen the precepts mentioned in this forum, with regards to the first one. Only beings that are considered "meat, fish etc" have been discussed.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Question about the First Precept

Post by DNS »

According to the Buddhist cosmology rebirth can be to humans, animals, devas and other celestial beings, but not plants.

There is no violation to eating or 'killing' a plant in Buddhism. There is a Vinaya rule that prohibits monks and nuns from harming plants, but this probably has more to do with not harming the environment in general or looking unseemly to lay people.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

The explanation I have often come across is anything that has a nervous system.

Shaun :namaste:
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

David N. Snyder wrote:According to the Buddhist cosmology rebirth can be to humans, animals, devas and other celestial beings, but not plants.

There is no violation to eating or 'killing' a plant in Buddhism. There is a Vinaya rule that prohibits monks and nuns from harming plants, but this probably has more to do with not harming the environment in general or looking unseemly to lay people.
Also don't forget preta (or ghosts/spirits)! :smile:

With the Vinaya rule on harming plants, I understand that the Buddha once said any plants at least 3 feet tall (or some other measurement units) can house a spirit. If you cut down such a plant, you would be effectively destroying the spirit's home. Hence, for compassion reason, Bhikṣu and Bhikṣuṇī are to not harm trees.

Ven. Chin Kung told a story that once in Australia their Buddhist group had to arrange for a tree to be cut down to build a temple. They, following the Buddha's teaching, read sutra to the tree spirit and asked it to move in three days, after which they will cut down the tree. Therefore there are ways for devoted Buddhist to deal with those situations.

Now if you are interested in the rest of Ven. Chin Kung's story, here is what happened... That night one of the monks had a dream where the tree spirit complained that three days was too short, and they should have given seven days of notice! Ven. Chin Kung's theory is that Australian people had an easier pace to doing things, so the same goes for spirits in Australia :D

Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI_cf4LCjKU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but it is in Chinese only.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Protecting the environment is a great aspect of the Dharma and one I'd encourage. But don't go hungry, eat only what you need, don't waste food, and say a quick prayer thanking the plants, the farmers, the cooks etc. before each meal.

Gassho,
Seishin
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Kaji wrote: Ven. Chin Kung told a story that once in Australia their Buddhist group had to arrange for a tree to be cut down to build a temple. They, following the Buddha's teaching, read sutra to the tree spirit and asked it to move in three days, after which they will cut down the tree. Therefore there are ways for devoted Buddhist to deal with those situations.
:twothumbsup:
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

bunny wrote:Does this refer to all living things. What I mean by this, is does it extend to the Fruits and Berries on trees and hedgerows. Does it extend to nuts and vegetables?

The way I read it, that yes it does but I am seeking clarification. Any time I have seen the precepts mentioned in this forum, with regards to the first one. Only beings that are considered "meat, fish etc" have been discussed.

Gardening itself does not break the first precept if that is what you're asking. :)
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
bunny

Post by bunny »

Thank you all for your replies. It has made things clearer in my mind. :)
Blessed Be,

Bunny.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”