the drajyor macabre

oldbob

Re: the drajyor macabre

Post by oldbob »

Tara wrote:
Blue Garuda wrote:The books look very pricey (£60)
Wisdom Books (UK) have "Manual of Standard Tibetan" priced at £47.59, http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=11986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$51.50 US, new, on eBay US with free USA shipping.

$46.52 US new, on Amazon with free "Supersaver" shipping.

Thanks for mentioning this new manual. I collect them and put them under my pillow, sometimes, in hopes it will do some good. No luck yet.

Maybe this one is different. :smile:

:thanks:

ob
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Hey Malcolm-

Isn't that Manual of Standard Tibetan focused more on colloq.? I've not seen it, but reading the blurbs leads me to believe it's more about spoken Tibetan....??
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Yudron wrote:
Blue Garuda wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Just learn Tibetan.
The books look very pricey (£60)

Is this one any good? : TIBETAN GRAMMAR by H. A. JASCHKE
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tibetan-Grammar ... 319&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or is there an online course you could recommend?

Jaschke was a 19th century Christian Missionary to Tibet.

The Manual of Standard Tibetan is the new standard of excellence, I hear from all sources.
Thanks. :)
Left
username

Post by username »

IMO, a beginner learner, Manual of Standard Tibetan is most helpful followed by Fluent Tibetan in second place:
http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Standard-T ... 1559391898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/Fluent-Tibetan-Pr ... 1559390212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also for classical, hopefully to do later, I already like:
http://www.amazon.com/Translating-Buddh ... 0937938343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Thanks, folks. All help much appreciated.

Still, I wonder: of what use is the bleeding drajyor book? How come it is so far away from ChNN's actual pronunciation? I'm not sure if I should blame allophones - or editors?
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Blue Garuda wrote:
Tara wrote:
Blue Garuda wrote:The books look very pricey (£60)
Wisdom Books (UK) have "Manual of Standard Tibetan" priced at £47.59, http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=11986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm into free eBooks when I can get them. Xmas for the book, maybe.
I accidentally bought two of the drajyor book, recently I bought one in person at a two week retreat,
and I forgot I had ordered one, so now I have two of these, so Blue Garuda, do you have that book?
If you want one for free, just PM me your addy and I"ll send you this book to compliment your studies.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:Hey Malcolm-

Isn't that Manual of Standard Tibetan focused more on colloq.? I've not seen it, but reading the blurbs leads me to believe it's more about spoken Tibetan....??
It is not exclusively focused on colloquial.
windoverwater

Post by windoverwater »

Are DC practice texts available in Tibetan?
Dknaga12

Post by Dknaga12 »

43 % off at Book Depsoitory UK 38.11 Pounds includes free shipping worlwide, 10 day delivery time.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Manual- ... rrency=GBP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :namaste:
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

T. Chokyi wrote: I accidentally bought two of the drajyor book, recently I bought one in person at a two week retreat,
and I forgot I had ordered one, so now I have two of these, so Blue Garuda, do you have that book?
If you want one for free, just PM me your addy and I"ll send you this book to compliment your studies.
That's very kind.
Left
muni

Post by muni »

People are very kind. :anjali:

Are there pocket facilities in the bardo?
treehuggingoctopus

windoverwater wrote:Are DC practice texts available in Tibetan?
Many of them are. Not all, unfortunately - Chod and Mandarava aren't, for instance.

Edmond Jabès
treehuggingoctopus

Dknaga12 wrote:43 % off at Book Depsoitory UK 38.11 Pounds includes free shipping worlwide, 10 day delivery time.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Manual- ... rrency=GBP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :namaste:
Not anymore :-(

Edmond Jabès
arsent

Post by arsent »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:
Dknaga12 wrote:43 % off at Book Depsoitory UK 38.11 Pounds includes free shipping worlwide, 10 day delivery time.
Not anymore :-(
Still price to high :(
In US I've ordered it for $46.52 with free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155939 ... 00_s00_i00

So,try to order from amzon.com instead of amazon.co.uk...
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Many of them are. Not all, unfortunately - Chod and Mandarava aren't, for instance.
You must have a different edition of the Mandarava sadhana than I do. If you're interested, the Mandarava sadhana in the restricted files section of the webcast site has Tibetan script, transliteration, and English..
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Dknaga12

Post by Dknaga12 »

@ dzogchungpa, very nice! Thank you for posting the link. :namaste:
treehuggingoctopus

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
You must have a different edition of the Mandarava sadhana than I do. If you're interested, the Mandarava sadhana in the restricted files section of the webcast site has Tibetan script, transliteration, and English..
Thanks!

Edmond Jabès
ratna

Post by ratna »

The Tibetan text of Chod is in the Dzogchen Ritual Practices book.

R
mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi »

Yudron wrote:"sgra sbyor meanings "putting sounds together" and is the name of ChNN's transcripton system."

Oh, I was guessing perhaps it was a "joining with sound" practice.
It is a more general term than the name of ChNN's transcription system. It really just refers to phonetics in general. There are several different sgra sbyor texts up on TBRC and there are others not yet up that cover regional phonetics.

What treehuggingoctopus is referring to specifically is one of Rinpoche's texts explaining, as Malcolm mentioned, Rinpoche's phonetic, pinyin-based, transcription system.
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres

Return to “Dzogchen”