Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Malcolm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Malcolm »

simhanada wrote:
heart wrote:Just a small comment, I think when ChNNR says "main practice" he means Semde, Longde and Mengakde. Rushan and Semdzin are actually preliminaries to the Mengakde.
/magnus
Cool, thankyou for the clarification
FYi yantra is a secondary practice.
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

simhanada wrote:FYi yantra is a secondary practice.
How do you understand the differentiation of main and secondary practices Malcolm?

As simple as Guruyoga and everything else?

Or as Magnus suggested Semde, Longde. Mannagde?

Where does Yantra and Dance fall under that schema?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

simhanada wrote:
How do you understand the differentiation of main and secondary practices Malcolm?

The only essential practice is ate guru yoga. However, we cannot spend our whole life sounding A, so we have other practices too.
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

Malcolm wrote: The only essential practice is ate guru yoga. However, we cannot spend our whole life sounding A, so we have other practices too.
Thanks
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

simhanada wrote:
Malcolm wrote: The only essential practice is ate guru yoga. However, we cannot spend our whole life sounding A, so we have other practices too.
Thanks
Hurrah - dialog works!!!

Thank you all and All! :thanks: :namaste:

In summary:

Having received the pointing out instruction / experience, I do my best to remain in Guru Yoga 24/7.

Everything else is gravy.

The gravy is what makes life interesting. It means doing my best to integrate with whatever arises (or doesn't arise) in my continuum.

So I sum this up in the phrase, "Watch it and let it go." I am never saying this. This is what I do (non dually). :smile: This is not an intention or a willful act.

It is an un-named display of being in the natural state of Guru Yoga: the famous snake untying its' own knot, etc.

In fact there is nothing to say. :smile:

:heart:
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:
simhanada wrote:

The only essential practice is ate guru yoga. However, we cannot spend our whole life sounding A, so we have other practices too.
The way ChNNR explains the Guru Yoga with a white Ah I would say that, if you understand the difference between means and knowledge or main practice and secondary, it is Trechö and so belongs to Mengakde.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Pero

Post by Pero »

heart wrote:The way ChNNR explains the Guru Yoga with a white Ah I would say that, if you understand the difference between means and knowledge or main practice and secondary, it is Trechö and so belongs to Mengakde.
Yeah, in one book Rinpoche actually says that this way of doing GY is more Yangti style. But, though the method may be from mengagde, IMO this covers all three series. There is not one kind of dzogchen in semde, a different kind in longde and another kind in mengagde.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

Pero wrote:
heart wrote:The way ChNNR explains the Guru Yoga with a white Ah I would say that, if you understand the difference between means and knowledge or main practice and secondary, it is Trechö and so belongs to Mengakde.
Yeah, in one book Rinpoche actually says that this way of doing GY is more Yangti style. But, though the method may be from mengagde, IMO this covers all three series. There is not one kind of dzogchen in semde, a different kind in longde and another kind in mengagde.
All manuals do separate them on the basis of view and method and this is also true about the ati, chitti and yangti. It certainly aims for the same point, but that could be said for all the nine yanas if one would like to. It is quite interesting, the guru yoga with a white ah, the way it goes from visualization to resting in the natural state. For me it kind of sums up the intention of the inner tantras.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

MERIGAR WEST RETREAT

2012: 31st Aug. - 6th Sept.

Longsal Atii Gongpa Gojyed

(Tib. Klong gsal a ti’i dgongs pa sgo ‘byed)
OPEN WEBCAST

TIME ZONE: GMT+2

31st Aug. 4pm - 6pm.

This day is the Full Moon, After Doing a short introduction about this retreat teaching, we altogether do a Short Gana Puja.

1st Sept. 10am-12pm.

I give a transmition of Ati Guru Yoga with the Tridlung of Short Thun Practice.

2nd Sept. 10am-12pm.

Giving the Nyamtrid of Ati Gongpa Gojyed and giving tridlung of Medium Thun Practice.

3rd Sept. 10-12am.

Giving the Nyamtrid of Ati Gongpa Gojyed continue and giving tridlung of Medium Gana Puja.

4th Sept. 10-12am.

Giving the Nyamtrid of Ati Gongpa Gojyed continue and giving tridlung of Longer Thun Practice.

5th Sept. 10-12am.

Giving the Nyamtrid of Ati Gongpa Gojyed till the end and all complete tridlung of Atii Gongpa Gojyed text.

5th Sept. 4-7pm. We do Gana Puja for the end of this retreat and so on.

6th Sept. 10-12am.

Giving some advices for the daily life practices and tridlungs of collective practices and so on. We also do an Ati Guru Yoga altogether for finishing our retreat.

Bye,
The Webcast Team

Is Nyamtrid a word for a form of transmission?
Left
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

Blue Garuda wrote:Is Nyamtrid a word for a form of transmission?
It means experiential teaching.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

simhanada wrote:
Blue Garuda wrote:Is Nyamtrid a word for a form of transmission?
It means experiential teaching.
Thanks. :)
Left
Pero

Post by Pero »

heart wrote:
Pero wrote:
All manuals do separate them on the basis of view and method and this is also true about the ati, chitti and yangti. It certainly aims for the same point, but that could be said for all the nine yanas if one would like to.
The other yanas are not Dzogchen. If there was some kind of huge difference between the three series, teachers wouldn't be using Semde to teach Trekcho.

There was an article about the three series by Elio Guarisco (it's based on Norbu Rinpoche's teachings though) in the DC paper The Mirror. If you're interested I can send the article to you.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

Pero wrote: The other yanas are not Dzogchen. If there was some kind of huge difference between the three series, teachers wouldn't be using Semde to teach Trekcho.

There was an article about the three series by Elio Guarisco (it's based on Norbu Rinpoche's teachings though) in the DC paper The Mirror. If you're interested I can send the article to you.
Yes, that would be interesting, please do. But if there is a difference in view it should amount to something.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Pero

Post by Pero »

heart wrote:But if there is a difference in view it should amount to something.
To what do you mean?
Of course I'm not saying there aren't any differences, there certainly are, but rigpa is the same throughout the three series. This is IMO undeniable.
As for the view, I actually don't find the views contradictory but then the explanations of the various views of the three series are not that clear to me. It could be I'm just not smart enough to understand it.
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

Pero wrote:
To what do you mean?
Of course I'm not saying there aren't any differences, there certainly are, but rigpa is the same throughout the three series. This is IMO undeniable.
As for the view, I actually don't find the views contradictory but then the explanations of the various views of the three series are not that clear to me. It could be I'm just not smart enough to understand it.
In general the way the views are defined in all the nine yanas are quite abstract and to understand them fully I think you have to have a deep knowledge of Buddhist philosophy. Still, the whole idea is that the view gets more and more refined and less conceptual. Even within the Mengakde there are the four cycles that have views that are described in this way as increasingly subtle and non-conceptual. Even if it always, even in the lower yanas, it is the same rigpa that we recognize it is obvious that we later might define it conceptually as this or that. I think for example that this is the essential meaning of Karma Lingpas terma translated by John Reynolds as "Self-Liberation Through Seeing with Naked Awareness".

Thank you for the article, it was interesting.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:
Pero wrote:
To what do you mean?
In general the way the views are defined in all the nine yanas are quite abstract and to understand them fully I think you have to have a deep knowledge of Buddhist philosophy. Still, the whole idea is that the view gets more and more refined and less conceptual. Even within the Mengakde there are the four cycles that have views that are described in this way as increasingly subtle non-conceptual. Even if it always, even in the lower yanas, it is the same rigpa that we recognize it is obvious that we later might define it conceptually as this or that. I think for example that this is the essential meaning of Karma Lingpas terma translated by John Reynolds as "Self-Liberation Through Seeing with Naked Awareness".

Thank you for the article, it was interesting.

/magnus

The difference in view in the three series is not conceptual, it is experiential.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Because of the fact that several methods for recognizing rigpa in mengagde are the same in semde and longde (or vice versa) I see no reason to think it is different across the three series.
- Shabkar
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pero wrote:Because of the fact that several methods for recognizing rigpa in mengagde are the same in semde and longde (or vice versa) I see no reason to think it is different across the three series.
Ok, whatever you like to beleive.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Malcolm wrote:
Pero wrote:Because of the fact that several methods for recognizing rigpa in mengagde are the same in semde and longde (or vice versa) I see no reason to think it is different across the three series.
But why do you think it's different (without bringing thogal in the mix)?
- Shabkar
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pero wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
But why do you think it's different (without bringing thogal in the mix)?
You just answered your own question. There is also the fact that sems sde does not result in rainbow body.

Return to “Dzogchen”