Learning more

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
bunny

Re: Learning more

Post by bunny »

Thank you Kaji :)

As I said before my nearest Buddhist centre is in Belfast which is an hour and a half by bus (I currently don't drive due to medical reasons). The resident teacher there is a Kadampa Buddhist nun.

I do not intend to leave my current path but rather view Buddhism as an extension of my current path. I have done this with other extensions of my path throughout the years. Everything works well in harmony with no conflicts. I do not forsee this to be a problem. If I do decide to commit myself to the Buddhist way as an extension of my path I will naturally inform my Buddhist teacher of this before hand. Just as I have done with my previous teachers.

It is part of the teachings of my path that not telling a new teacher of your spiritual path is just as equal to as lying to them. It is a form of deceit (whether intentional or no) which goes against the teachings of my path.

Edit: I have found this place in Northamptonshire in England (I plan to move there in the future): It is also Kadampa. It appears that I am being shown the way.
Last edited by rose on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

bunny wrote:Thank you Kaji :)

As I said before my nearest Buddhist centre is in Belfast which is an hour and a half by bus (I currently don't drive due to medical reasons). The resident teacher there is a Kadampa Buddhist nun.

I do not intend to leave my current path but rather view Buddhism as an extension of my current path. I have done this with other extensions of my path throughout the years. Everything works well in harmony with no conflicts. I do not forsee this to be a problem. If I do decide to commit myself to the Buddhist way as an extension of my path I will naturally inform my Buddhist teacher of this before hand. Just as I have done with my previous teachers.

It is part of the teachings of my path that not telling a new teacher of your spiritual path is just as equal to as lying to them. It is a form of deceit (whether intentional or no) which goes against the teachings of my path.
I am not very familiar with the Kadampa tradition, but I'm sure a lot of posters in the Tibetian Buddhism subforum can help you learn about it and confirm if that temple is a bona fide, proper one.

Yes, I think it is definitely a good idea to talk to your teachers about all your religious and spiritual direction and experience.

I'm curious - does your patron god (your Dharma protector, maybe?) practise Buddhism?
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

bunny wrote:Thank you Kaji :)

Edit: I have found this place in Northamptonshire in England (I plan to move there in the future): It is also Kadampa. It appears that I am being shown the way.

Please note it is against the Terms of Service (ToS) for this website to provide links to NKT centres, or associated organizations etc and as such the link has been removed.

Please read section #4 of the Terms of Service "Discussion of Contraversial Practices and Traditions".
bunny

Post by bunny »

Apologies for posting the links Tara, I was not aware that they were outside the TOS (I'm not doing too well today)

----

I must say I am confused Tara. One one hand I am asked not to discuss my patron god (because this is a Buddhist forum), on the other hand I am asked questions about him. Please advise me on how to answer your question in an honourable and mindful way so as not to 'cause offence or break the rules of this forum.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
bunny

Post by bunny »

A thousand apologies to everyone regarding some of my posts today.

Reading back I have realised that the tone of some of them isn't suitable and I apogise if I sounded disrespectful in any way this was not my intent. I am more sensitive today than normal and although this is no excuse I hope it gives you a little understanding.

I should not have come here today when I am like this.

I am leaving the forum for today, I will be back tomorrow. Hopefully by then I will be back to my normal self.

Once again I apologise and I hope you can find it in your heart, mind & soul to forgive me.

Until tomorrow.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
wukong

Post by wukong »

Hi bunny. I see that you are from northern Ireland. Me too. Derry. I would recommend a visit to jampa ling in cavan if you can. They also might have a chapter in Derry. Personally I would avoid the kadampa centre in Belfast for two reasons. firstly, they are very anti dalai lama (whom I personally follow) and so they hurt the Tibetan cause by protesting against him.

Secondly, they are more fussy about their protector deity. I'm a kadampa Buddhist myself and we are big into our deities but I think there would be less pressure for you to compromise with the mainstream dalai lama led kadampas.

Deity worship is not a Buddhist thing at all but it is part of nearly every form of Asian Buddhism. Every monastery and temple in Asia has their on protector spirits to whom the pray and make offerings. This is not Buddhist in the sense that it leads to enlightenment but it is sanctioned by the Buddha. If you travel in Asia you will notice that people don't just label themselves Buddhist and that they didn't give up their indigenous pagan beliefs as Buddhism took root in their countries.

Basically, I reckon you can easily integrate your pagan spirituality with your Buddhist instincts. This might be harder within Tibetan Buddhism but like I said, some branches are more relaxed than others.

Hope all goes well for you. I'm always interested to see how Buddhism is developing back home in Ireland. The south has way more than the north I think.

All the best

Wukong
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

bunny wrote:... Please advise me on how to answer your question ...
Hi bunny, :smile:

Please check your Personal Message (PM) Inbox.

Regards,
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

wukong wrote:Deity worship is not a Buddhist thing at all but it is part of nearly every form of Asian Buddhism. Every monastery and temple in Asia has their on protector spirits to whom the pray and make offerings. This is not Buddhist in the sense that it leads to enlightenment but it is sanctioned by the Buddha.
Not sure about Buddhism elsewhere in Asia, in the Chinese tradition of Buddhism, the Buddhists tend to pay respect and make offerings to the Dharma protectors. However, Buddhists do not take refuge in these Dharma protectors (unless they are also Maha-Bodhisattva). There are a number of Dharma protectors whose statues are commonly seen in Chinese Buddhist temples, for example Skanda, the Four Heavenly Kings.

From what I understand, it is perfectly within the scope of Buddhist practice to paying respect and making offerings to these Dharma protectors. It is good, respectful and compassionate, for they are here to help us with our Buddhist practices. Surely you won't object to paying respect and making offerings to a human Buddhist teacher? Why so a Dharma protector?
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
bunny

Post by bunny »

After a long medidation last night/into the wee hours of this morning. I have come to a decision about my role in this forum. I do seek to know more about Buddhism and the Buddhist way of life. I have come to the conclusion that the best way for me to achieve this is to treat everyone on the forum like a teacher. I'll be an observor, listening (reading) and being patient.

If I have a question I will respectively ask it, if a question is asked of me I will respectively answer it. There are some threads which I have posted in that I wish to comment on this morning, that were written before waking up this morning.

Once again I humbly apologise if I have caused anyone offence during my stay here. This was not my intent.

----

Edit: With regards to my earlier posting in this thread about a certain type of Buddhism and posting links. I humbly apologise I was not aware of the situation behind the links that I had posted. I was just happy that I had found Buddhist centres in NI & England (where I am planning on moving too in the future) that I wanted to share them with you all. I was like an eagar child wanting to show a parent something but not realising what I was showing them.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
bunny

Post by bunny »

My Dharma protector has guided me towards two books which I have purchased and they will be here on Wednesday.

(It was too late for me to edit my previous post - sorry for double posting)
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
muni

Post by muni »

Follow you heart, people use to say.....

We must learn, to experience there is no knowing one, one alone on its knowledge-isle. Sharing Bunny said. Yes, mutual sharing. Thank you.
All knowledge need to transcendent itself in warmth and confidence. Grasping to teachings and practices becomes an anchor in the field of pain: samsara.

Previous lives? Like movies on the unsubstantial screen of awareness. Sorry for rambling.

"Don’t investigate the root of things,
Investigate the root of Mind!" Guru Rinpoche.

:namaste:
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

bunny, many of us newcomers have made mistakes. Don't feel alone there :hug:

The only way to understand is to ask questions. So don't let something pass you by by not asking.

Just keep the questions about Buddhism and not interject other systems of beliefs.
:namaste:
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
bunny

Post by bunny »

Thank you muni and Dave The Seeker. Your comments have filled me with much encouragement.

Dave I will keep that in mind and thank you for the hug :)

The books I have ordered are: "Bhagavad Gita as It Is" and "Upanishads: Breath of the Eternal".
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

You're welcome.

I haven't read the books you mentioned, but I hope they bring you insight and understanding.
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
bunny

Post by bunny »

*nods* thank you :)
Blessed Be,

Bunny.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”