Trungpa Rinpoche and the Green woman?

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
martin123

Trungpa Rinpoche and the Green woman?

Post by martin123 »

I heard a story in which Trungpa Rinpoche was apparently battling a mysterious green woman that was the result of some black magic against him.Anbody here heard this story before?
Martin
Berry

Re: Trungpa Rinpoche and the Green woman?

Post by Berry »

martin123 wrote:I heard a story in which Trungpa Rinpoche was apparently battling a mysterious green woman that was the result of some black magic against him.Anbody here heard this story before?
Hi martin123,

No I haven't - but might it not have been hallucinations from the alcoholism and drug taking ?

namaste

Berry
Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa
illusionsgame

Post by illusionsgame »

Hallucinations? You don't know anything about what a mahasiddha is or does. Go sit and try to grow up as a practitioner.
martin123

Post by martin123 »

Berry wrote:
martin123 wrote:I
heard a story in which Trungpa Rinpoche was apparently battling a
mysterious green woman that was the result of some black magic against
him.Anbody here heard this story before?
Hi martin123,

No I haven't - but might it not have been hallucinations from the
alcoholism and drug taking ?

namaste

Berry
Hi Berry,well i dont know.thats why im asking do people know about this particular event.
Martin
Josef

Post by Josef »

martin123 wrote:
Berry wrote:
martin123 wrote:I
heard a story in which Trungpa Rinpoche was apparently battling a
mysterious green woman that was the result of some black magic against
him.Anbody here heard this story before?
Hi martin123,

No I haven't - but might it not have been hallucinations from the
alcoholism and drug taking ?

namaste

Berry
Hi Berry,well i dont know.thats why im asking do people know about this particular event.
I doubt anyone can give you a real answer.
There is so much lore about Trungpa that overshadows who he actually was.
It basically just comes down to opinions of those who think he was a Mahasidda who's actions can't be understood and those who see him as an abusive alcoholic.
It always leads to arguments and attacks like Illusionsgames above.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
martin123

Post by martin123 »

Hi Josef,Thats fair enough,i guess its down to experience and who spent time with him and even then thats probably not enough.But there are obviously people here that have strong views and i would suggest these were not formed out of thin air.
Martin
Berry

Post by Berry »

illusionsgame wrote:Hallucinations? You don't know anything about what a mahasiddha is or does. Go sit and try to grow up as a practitioner.
What ? How very rude and unfriendly some of the people in this group are . My question is a reasonable one considering Trungpa's reputation.

This is the second time I've been attacked by a member here, for no reason that I can understand.

Its probably a much better idea for me to stay away from internet Buddhism altogether.
Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Berry wrote:
martin123 wrote:I heard a story in which Trungpa Rinpoche was apparently battling a mysterious green woman that was the result of some black magic against him.Anbody here heard this story before?
Hi martin123,

No I haven't - but might it not have been hallucinations from the alcoholism and drug taking ?
He would have recognized hallucinations as hallucinations. His remarks about drug taking, after some of his students apparently begged him to take a particular drug, was that it was twice samsara - by which I think he meant samsara squared.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Josef wrote: I doubt anyone can give you a real answer.
It basically just comes down to opinions of those who think he was a Mahasidda who's actions can't be understood and those who see him as an abusive alcoholic.
He was a Mahasiddha who physically died from complications due to alcoholism. Abusive? He was really great.

The question would be why he couldn't have subdued some kind of spiritual attack as implied by the OP.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
martin123

Post by martin123 »

Regarding 'spiritual attacks' or 'blackmagic' whatever one calls it..who would participate in such unwholesome activity?surely not a Dharma practitioner?
Martin
Josef

Post by Josef »

kirtu wrote:
Josef wrote: I doubt anyone can give you a real answer.
He was a Mahasiddha who physically died from complications due to alcoholism. Abusive? He was really great.

The question would be why he couldn't have subdued some kind of spiritual attack as implied by the OP.

Kirt
He did plenty that is considered abusive.
It strikes me as odd that it's even a question.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
martin123

Post by martin123 »

Can we please avoid turning this topic into a bash Trungpa tread..i didnt start this tread to give birth to hostility....i am simply interested in the point of my original post.
Martin
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi Martin,

You may wish to read & search around in the Chronicle Project website: http://www.chronicleproject.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or ask someone there. Hope that helps.

:cheers:
martin123

Post by martin123 »

Hi Jikan I will do that, thank you.
Martin
illusionsgame

Post by illusionsgame »

Berry wrote:
illusionsgame wrote:Hallucinations? You don't know anything about what a mahasiddha is or does. Go sit and try to grow up as a practitioner.
What ? How very rude and unfriendly some of the people in this group are . My question is a reasonable one considering Trungpa's reputation.

This is the second time I've been attacked by a member here, for no reason that I can understand.

Its probably a much better idea for me to stay away from internet Buddhism altogether.

I knew him personally and received vajrayana transmissions from him. If you have a doubt, go look up comments by His Holiness the 16th Karmapa, His Holiness Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, Thrangu Rinpoche and every other respected lama who knew him. If you believe it is ok for members to disparage the pure dharma, that is your business. It pains me to see people create karma for which they will suffer. People like that need to be told to go sit. "Oh goodness, how can a HOLY MAN drink and have sex?" Look up Virupa. Educate your self and stop creating future pain for yourself. Don't be a brick wall.
Berry

Post by Berry »

illusionsgame wrote:
Berry wrote:

I knew him personally and received vajrayana transmissions from him. If you have a doubt, go look up comments by His Holiness the 16th Karmapa, His Holiness Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, Thrangu Rinpoche and every other respected lama who knew him. If you believe it is ok for members to disparage the pure dharma, that is your business. It pains me to see people create karma for which they will suffer. People like that need to be told to go sit. "Oh goodness, how can a HOLY MAN drink and have sex?" Look up Virupa. Educate your self and stop creating future pain for yourself. Don't be a brick wall.

it makes no difference if you knew him or not, that doesn't excuse your appalling attitude towards me. It saddens me to read it, with your punishment -karma pronouncement of "future pain" ....but hey, I wish you all the best with that "brick wall" of your very own.
I hope you have a nice day :namaste:

~ Tilopa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

illusionsgame wrote: People like that need to be told to go sit.
It is not your business to condition people one way or another.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I was surprised to read in the Bodhicharyavatara that Bodhisattvas are supposed to show patience and not respond in anger even when our lama is disparaged. It is quite a difficult practice, though.
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

Please tell me i'm not the one whose mind flashed to Star Trek: TOS with this question!
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Yudron wrote:I was surprised to read in the Bodhicharyavatara that Bodhisattvas are supposed to show patience and not respond in anger even when our lama is disparaged. It is quite a difficult practice, though.
Why were you surprised to read that in the Bodhicharyavatara?

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma Stories”