Sikh temple shooting in Wisconsin

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Sikh temple shooting in Wisconsin

Postby Luke » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:46 pm

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/05/us/wi ... index.html

I am very surprised that no one here or over at Dhammawheel has started a thread about the shooting at the Sikh temple in Wisconsin yet! I would assume that most of you have already heard about it... Don't any of you care? News of the whole incident has greatly saddened me.

There was an interfaith gathering to show support for the Sikhs and to support religious freedom for all. Beside Sikhs, there were Christian, Jewish, and Muslim leaders speaking at this event--where the hell were the local Buddhists?? Did none of the Buddhist groups in Boston express any interest in being at this event? Were they unaware of this event? Were they just at home or at their centers meditating and reading? I don't know the answers to any of these questions, but it just seems strange to me that Buddhist groups would pass up such an opportunity. I doubt that Sikhs would reject Buddhists.
http://macucc.org/blogs/detail/157

It would be nice if Buddhist groups were more visibly involved in their communities and more involved with other religious communities. Some Buddhists teachers have done great things, but more work needs to be done in order to show the public that Buddhism isn't simply a religion for hermits and that Buddhists have the desire to be a part of their local communities and help them improve.
Luke

Re: Sikh temple shooting in Wisconsin

Postby Music » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Buddhists believe in self-transformation.
Music

Postby Jikan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:45 pm

The reality in the USA is that the fight over gun control is over, and the pro-gun lobby won. Consequently, we get these events and there's not much we can do about it because there's no political will to ensure that the mentally ill or the posse comitatus or whomever can't access firearms and plenty of 'em. Demogogues on the far right whose profession is to stoke up the paranoia machine contribute too, and they are uncontested in many parts of the media in many parts of the country. It's really that simple. Who suffers? Everyone, of course. It's a numb despair for many.

Meanwhile, what are Buddhists doing about it? You'll find American Buddhists in prisons, for instance, when we're allowed in. This is one way to work with the marginalized to prevent violence and encourage peace. It's not as though American Buddhists are as a body apathetic or apolitical or uncharitable. Members of our little group, for instance, volunteer at a local food bank. &c.

If you want some backstory on all this, see Hugh Gusterson's book The Insecure American.
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Nemo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:48 am

Norway is even more heavily armed than the USA. Canada has tons of guns as well but no corresponding deluge of gun deaths. Guns are not the problem, Americans are. Shooting people over minor things is NOT OK. Most of the world thinks murdering someone over trespassing, stealing your laptop or touching your car is a crime. Getting rid of guns won't fix your creepy culture.

That being said what a tragedy. They had nothing to do with anything and should have been no ones target.
Nemo

Postby Jikan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:38 pm

As I said, we couldn't get rid of the guns and the ammo if we wanted to. I think you'd find much to agree with in the Gusterson book I cited, Nemo.

It's true that Canada & Norway are, per capita, better armed than Americans are. It's also true that Canada has a landmass bigger than Brazil, taller than it is wide, and a population less than the state of California. You're spread out. Ask Winnipeg. The kinds of urban and now ex-urban violence we get in the US has a different material base. There are a lot of desperate people here, desperation on a scale that just doesn't exist in Canada. Economic desperation plus uncontested wingnut discourses and no shortage of guns is the general equation for gun violence.

Is Norway, a country with a smaller total population than the aggregated suburbs around Washington, DC alone, immune from sociopathic gun violence coupled to a creepy brownshirt-ish culture? I don't see much daylight between Breivik and Wade M Page... or, if you bracket out the gun violence, Breivik and Pam Gellar. And you have to admit Norway is even better at distributing the booty of a petro-economy than Canada is.
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Let me first say that I AM AMERICAN (which I've now clarified in my location information), in case people were trying to imply something like "Oh, you're just a foreigner who doesn't understand America's problems" and just dismissing away my points that way.

I wasn't implying that American Buddhists should try to single-handedly transform the whole country or that they have the power to take on powerful interest groups, because I know that they currently don't.

My main point was that the fact that the local Buddhists in Boston did not speak at the interfaith meeting in honor of the victims was a big missed opportunity, both in terms of showing respect and in terms of public relations. I'd be interested in hearing from any members from Boston here why their groups decided not to go. Maybe they had some good reason not to go. I don't know, but it just seems very strange to me...

I've been to Boston hundreds of times. I love Boston, and I find it extremely embarrassing that no local Buddhist leader spoke at this event!
Is there some bad blood between the Buddhist community and the Sikh community in Boston?

Don't any of you feel that there is anything to be gained from more Buddhists going to interfaith meetings?

Music wrote:Buddhists believe in self-transformation.

True, but MAHAYANA Buddhists also believe in (or should believe in) trying to help all living creatures!
Luke

Postby muni » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:22 am

What is behind this must be find out!

Hands don't serve us by holding weapons.

Lots of warmth to our Sikhs friends and everyone.

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/8/7/si ... jeet_singh

Why is their a need to have guns? Is the whole world percieved as being filled by enemies? Seen through destructive emotions the world has many enemies. We can slay all enemies at once by knowing their deluded boss, which is enslaving us: the independent self/ego clinging.
Write it all on water!
muni

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:14 pm

From Huffington Post:

History of Hate: Crimes Against Sikhs Since 9/11

Though their numbers make up the world's fifth-largest religion, Sikhs are still misunderstood (No, they are not Muslims or Hindus). Below is a round up of notable hate crimes and bias incidents against Sikhs since 9/11. (H/t Buzz Feed.)

Sept. 15, 2001 -- Mesa, Ariz.: Four days after the infamous attacks of 9/11, Balbir Singh Sodhi, a 49-year-old Sikh, is shot and killed outside the gas station he owned by Frank Silva Roque. When police approached to arrest him, Roque says, “I'm a patriot and an American. I'm American. I'm a damn American.” [More from HuffPost.]

Nov. 18, 2001 -- Palermo, N.Y.: Three teens burn down Gobind Sadan, a gurdwara (Sikh temple) in New York, because they thought it was named for Osama bin Laden. [More from BeliefNet and Tribune of India.]

Dec. 12, 2001 -- Los Angeles, Calif.: Surinder Singh Sidhi, a liquor store owner in Los Angeles who took to wearing an American flag turban after 9/11 out of fear of being attacked, is beaten in his store by two men who accuse of him of being Osama bin Laden. [More from Real Sikhism.]

Aug. 6, 2002 -- Daly City, Calif.: Sukhpal Singh, brother of Balbir Singh Sodhi, who was the first Sikh murdered following 9/11, is shot while driving his cab. [More from HuffPost, Real Sikhism and Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund.]

May 20, 2003 -- Phoenix, Ariz.: Fifty-two-year-old Sikh immigrant and truck driver Avtar Singh is shot in his 18-wheeler while waiting for his son to pick him up. As he is being shot, he hears someone say: “Go back to where you belong.” [More from Real Sikhism.]

Aug. 5, 2003 -- Queens, N.Y.: Members of a Sikh family are beaten outside of their home by drunk individuals yelling, "Go back to your country, Bin Laden." [More from NY Daily News.]

Sept. 25, 2003 -- Tempe, Ariz.: Sukhvir Singh, a 33-year-old convenience store owner, is stabbed to death by Bruce Phillip Reed. It is not labeled as a hate crime. Representatives of the Phoenix Sikh community issue a statement that says, in part, “Together we can help others to evolve past hate and fear by continuing to organize to reach out to others with increased understanding, respect, and support. May our collective prayer be that God preserve and protect the honor of all people, our nation, and our world.” [More from the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund and SikhNet.]

March 13, 2004 -- Fresno, Calif.: Gurdwara Sahib, a local Sikh temple, is vandalized with graffiti messages: “Rags Go Home” and “It’s Not Your Country. [More from SALDEF and Real Sikhism.]

July 12, 2004 -- New York, N.Y.: Rajinder Singh Khalsa and Gurcharan Singh, cousins on their way to dinner at a restaurant, are beaten by two drunk white twentysomething men. The attackers describe Gurcharan’s turban as a “curtain.” When Rajinder tries to intervene, saying that Sikhs are peaceful, he is beaten unconscious and suffers a fractured eye socket, among other injuries. [More from Real Sikhism.]

May 24, 2007 -- Queens, N.Y.: A 15-year-old student has his hair forcibly cut by an older student at his high school. The scissor-wielding 17-year-old showed the Sikh a ring inscribed with Arabic, saying, “This ring is Allah. If you don't let me cut your hair, I will punch you with this ring.” Afterward, he cuts the younger boy’s hair. A main pillar of the Sikh faith compels followers to keep their hair uncut. [More from Real Sikhism and United Sikhs.]

May 30, 2007 -- Joliet, Ill.: A decorated U.S. Navy veteran of the Gulf War, Kuldip Singh Nag is approached by a police officer outside of his home for an expired vehicle registration tag. The officer reportedly assaults Nag with pepper spray while hurling expletive-laced anti-immigrant statements. [More from SALDEF and ABC7 News. ]

Jan. 14, 2008 -- New Hyde Park, N.Y.: A 63-year-old Sikh, Baljeet Singh, has his jaw and nose broken when attacked outside his temple by a man who lived next-door. David Wood, the attacker, had apparently disturbed members of the gurdwara in the past. [More from United Sikhs.]

Feb. 28, 2008 -- Bryan, Texas: A Sikh man is assaulted in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Though the assailant called him a terrorist, punched him in the face and head and knocked his turban off, the Sikh man does not suffer major injuries. [More from SALDEF.]

June 5, 2008 -- Queens, N.Y.: A ninth grade Sikh is attacked by another student, who tried to remove his patka, or under-turban, and had a history of bullying the boy. [More from Real Sikhism and United Sikhs.]

June 5, 2008 -- Albuquerque, N.M.: A vehicle belonging to a Sikh family is defaced with the message “F*** Allah!” and a picture of male genitalia. [More from SALDEF.]

Aug. 4, 2008 -- Phoenix, Ariz.: Inderjit Singh Jassal is shot and killed while working at a 7-Eleven. No clear motive is found. [More from SALDEF and The Arizona Republic.]

Oct. 29, 2008 -- Carteret, N.J.: A Sikh man, Ajit Singh Chima, goes for a walk in his neighborhood. He is attacked by a man who casually leaves the scene afterward. Nothing is stolen. [More from SALDEF.]

Jan. 30, 2009 -- Queens, N.Y.: Three men attack Jasmir Singh outside of a grocery store. Racial slurs are heard. A broken glass bottle is used. Singh loses vision in his left eye. [More from NY Daily News and United Sikhs.]

Nov. 29, 2010 -- Sacramento, Calif.: Harbhajan Singh, a cab driver, is a attacked by passangers, who call him Osama bin Laden. Singh believes the attackers, who were later convicted, would have killed him. [More from SALDEF.]

March 6, 2011 -- Elk Grove, Calif.: Two elderly Sikh men in traditional garb, out for a daily afternoon walk, are shot and killed. The perpetrator is not found. [More from Southern Poverty Law Center, SALDEF and The Sacramento Bee.]

May 30, 2011 -- New York, N.Y.: Jiwan Singh, an MTA worker and the father of Jasmir Singh, who was assaulted in early 2009 in Queens, is attacked on the A train and accused of being related to Osama bin Laden. [More from the NY Daily News.]

Feb. 6, 2012 -- Sterling Heights, Mich.: A gurdwara (Sikh temple) is defaced with graffiti that includes a gun and references to 9/11. [More from SALDEF.]

Aug. 5, 2012 -- Oak Creek, Wis.: A gunman is shot dead by police after he opened fire in a gurdwara during Sikh prayer services, killing six. [More from HuffPost.]
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Return to News & Current Events