Casket Seal Dharani Sutra

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

Casket Seal Dharani Sutra

Postby cj39 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:26 am

Does anyone know anything about the history of the Casket Seal Dharani Sutra? The best translation I have found is at http://www.sutrasmantras.info/sutra03.html but there is little info given beyond the sutra itself. I found a bit of the history of the dharani in Figments of the Mahayana and it seems well known in Taiwan from what I can tell but my local Chinese friends had never heard of it. I am just curious if either the entire sutra or the dharani is recited often in Chinese Buddhism or is it more of a Tibetan practice?
cj39

Re: Casket Seal Dharani Sutra

Postby cj39 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Its called the Hokyoin Dharani in Japan. Its mentioned in A Dictionary of Buddhism by Damien Keown. Its official. This dharani has been found from Sri Lanka to Japan. I am impressed.
cj39

Postby Kaji » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:12 pm

I have made a vow to uphold this dharani and hopefully become one with it one day.

However, I don't know too much about the background and history of this dharani/sutra. I understand the sutra belongs to the Esoteric Teachings section of the Taishō Tripiṭaka. The Chinese version was translated by Amoghavajra (705–774) during the Tang Dynasty.

I have read that in Esoteric Buddhism in China during the Tang Dynasty, this dharani is one of the four great methods used for sending the deceased to Pure Land(s).

I have also read that in Esoteric Buddhism in Japan this dharani is one of the three great dharani, alongside the Great Compassionate Dharani and Usnisa Vijaya Dharani.

Not sure if this is what you want to know.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Kaji

Postby Jikan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Kaji wrote:I have made a vow to uphold this dharani and hopefully become one with it one day.

This is an excellent aspiration. I hope you succeed.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Kaji » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Jikan wrote:
Kaji wrote:I have made a vow to uphold this dharani and hopefully become one with it one day.

This is an excellent aspiration. I hope you succeed.

Thank you! May you also benefit from my practice! :namaste:
Kaji

Postby Kaji » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:22 am

This is the Sanskrit transliteration that I use to recite the dharani:
Ārya sarva tathāgata adhiṣṭhāna hṛdaya guhya dhātu karaṇḍa mudrā nāma dhāraṇī

Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām.
Oṃ, bhuvi bhavana vare vācāle vācāṭai.
Curu curu, dhara dhara, sarva tathāgata-dhātu dhare padmāṃ-bhavati jaya vare mudre smara.
Sarva tathāgata dharma-cakra-pravartana, vajra-bodhi-maṇḍa alaṃ-kāra alaṃ-kṛte.
Sarva tathāgata adhiṣṭhite, bodhaya bodhaya, bodhi bodhi, budhya budhya, saṃ-bodhani saṃ-bodhaya.
Cala cala calantu sarva ā-varaṇāni, sarva pāpa vi-gate, huru huru sarva śoka vi-ghāte.
Sarva tathāgata hṛdaya vajrāṇi, saṃ-bhāra saṃ-bhāra, sarva tathāgata guhya-dhāraṇī mudre.
Buddhi su-buddhi, sarva tathāgata adhiṣṭhita dhātu garbhe svāhā.
Samaya adhiṣṭhite svāhā.
Sarva tathāgata hṛdaya dhātu mudre svāhā.
Su-pratiṣṭhita stūpe tathāgata adhiṣṭhite huru huru hūṃ hūṃ svāhā.
Oṃ sarva tathāgatoṣṇīṣa dhātu mudrāṇi, sarva tathāgataṃ sad-dhātu vi-bhūṣita adhiṣṭhite hūṃ hūṃ svāhā.

(Transliterated by Mr Chua Boon Tuan of the Rawang Buddhist Association: http://www.dharanipitaka.net/2011/2008/ ... sthana.pdf )
Kaji

Postby Kaji » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:38 am

Some resources on the Casket Seal Dharani Sutra:

A 12-minute animated video on the sutra, with English subtitles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90_BfqA4lqg

Graphics file of the dharani in Siddam Sanskrit script, printed in a stupa:
http://www.dharanipitaka.net/2011/2008/ ... dharan.jpg

For those who can read Chinese:

Collection of blog posts on this dharani and sutra, and also stupa, by what I understand to be a very knowledgeable lay Buddhist in Macau:
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/articlelist_1 ... _12_1.html

Lectures by a Chinese monk named Ming An (video recordings available on Internet too):
http://read.goodweb.cn/news/news_view.asp?newsid=69285
Kaji

Postby Kaji » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:28 pm

I was introduced to the Casket Seal Dharani last year, when a number of śarīra were passed to me. I inquired for the proper way to make offerings to these śarīra, and was suggested that in addition to offering the normal water, fruits flowers and incense I could also chant this dharani.

Back then I asked the question that I'm sure some of you would have in your minds - in which sutra reference does it say the Casket Seal Dharani is good for making an offering to śarīra? The reply referred me to the dharani's title and properties - "Ārya sarva tathāgata adhiṣṭhāna hṛdaya guhya dhātu karaṇḍa mudrā nāma dhāraṇī". The word "dhātu" means whole-body śarīra. The whole title literally means "the dharani of the seal of the casket holding the śarīra of all Buddha's secret whole-bodies". This dharani contains the śarīra of all Buddha of past and present. By chanting the dharani I am already making an offering to the śarīra of all Buddha. With or without the physical śarīra on my altar, I can still become one with the śarīra of all Buddha. I can become one with all Buddha, past and present. Doesn't that trump merely offering water, fruits, flowers, license or even the most precious gemstones and earthly treasures?

Hence, don't worry so much about receiving the Buddha's physical śarīra. Reading the Casket Seal Dharani and the sutra can make you be one with the Buddha's śarīra. Even if you don't read this sutra, that's OK - all sutra spoken by the Buddha are the śarīra of his Dharma body. The best way to make offering to the Buddha is to follow his teaching.
Kaji

Return to Sūtra Studies