Hi from Northern Ireland

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
bunny

Hi from Northern Ireland

Post by bunny »

Blessings to you all.

I've just joined this forum as my spirituality path appears to have gone full circle. When I was 10 I started searching and I read about Buddhism, that was when I first started mediating. I started mediating twice daily, in the morning and the evening. A practice I still perform. After 5 years of searching I settled on the practice of Witchcraft and Paganism. I have been a White Witch and Pagan for nearly 21 years. I have been a student of the occult sciences for over 26 years. I also have been a teacher and guide in spiritual matters (linked to Witchcraft and Paganism)/divination for over 10 years. I feel truly blessed that I have had the opportunity to pass on my knowledge to others. I have been blessed with numerous spiritual gifts for which I am grateful for receiving them.

My interest has once again turned towards Buddhism. I joined this forum because I want to learn more about Buddhism, I want to extend my knowledge of meditation and my spirituality.

It is nearing my time to leave the internet for a while and get ready to go to my day job.

I look forward to communicating with everyone here.

Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Hi from Northern Ireland

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha1:
futerko

Post by futerko »

hey Bunny :hi:
bunny

Post by bunny »

Thank you for the lovely welcome David & futerko :)
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

Hi Bunny! Welcome to the forum. I am also new myself.

Like you, I also know some divination methods. However, after having started seriously studying Buddhism, I seldomly use those methods nowadays.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
bunny

Post by bunny »

Hi Kaji :)

Thank you, interesting what divination methods did you use?
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

bunny wrote:Hi Kaji :)

Thank you, interesting what divination methods did you use?
The system is I-Ching, using hexagrams and trigrams ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagram_(I_Ching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) ). My methods are either using ancient copper coins in a formal ritual, or less formally with my heart and intuition.

Did you know that Buddhism has divination methods too? The more well-known one is associated with Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva. I'm not sure if the sutra has been translated into English too.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Hey Kaji,

I am familiar with I-Ching, I have used both the coin and the stick methods. I looked up the Buddhist divination that you mentioned and I am familiar with it as well. I have a natural gift that I can use any form of divination. I'm in the process of creating a few divination methods myself.

What do you mean between formally and less formally? When you use any divination method it should be used with clear intent, purity of heart, purity of mind and purity of soul and using your instinct. IMHO.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

bunny wrote:Hey Kaji,

I am familiar with I-Ching, I have used both the coin and the stick methods. I looked up the Buddhist divination that you mentioned and I am familiar with it as well. I have a natural gift that I can use any form of divination. I'm in the process of creating a few divination methods myself.

What do you mean between formally and less formally? When you use any divination method it should be used with clear intent, purity of heart, purity of mind and purity of soul and using your instinct. IMHO.
Hi Bunny,

Welcome and greetings, and hello to the Bunny readers.

Natural gifts are wonderful, everyone has them, and I am grateful for mine.

I have used sticks and coins since '65, some Tibetan fortune telling (mo) using mostly using beads, and air bubbles, a little Tarot, Astrology and Yugoslavian stone throws. Mostly I use the Venerable I Ching.

A formal session is when I will write down my question, with the injunction, "is it for the good that---" and then write down the answer. When I have finished thinking about the question, I dispose of the paper respectfully. I keep my I Ching on the highest shelf and have reversed the cover so it shows all white. I approach the I Ching as if he is a very old wise Chinese man named Fu Hsi. He is the one pictured in the rocks and mountains of old Chinese landscapes. If a question is really involved and important I would use the stalks. A formal bead session involves using a Tibetan mala and saying a round or few of Tara mantra and then counting off beads from a random pull, to get a 1 or 2 count remainder: 1 yes, 2 no. There are also books that list the possibilities of many ones and twos.

If you search the Dharma Wheel search box on "Mo divination", I think you will find many interesting results.

I am fond of Irish music and Guinness (in moderation) though not necessarily in that order. Put them together and you get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVK45Gq7 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May the road rise to greet you, and for all and ALL: blessed be. :namaste:

oldbob
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

oldbob wrote:

Hi Bunny,

Welcome and greetings, and hello to the Bunny readers.

Natural gifts are wonderful, everyone has them, and I am grateful for mine.

I have used sticks and coins since '65, some Tibetan fortune telling (mo) using mostly using beads, and air bubbles, a little Tarot, Astrology and Yugoslavian stone throws. Mostly I use the Venerable I Ching.

A formal session is when I will write down my question, with the injunction, "is it for the good that---" and then write down the answer. When I have finished thinking about the question, I dispose of the paper respectfully. I keep my I Ching on the highest shelf and have reversed the cover so it shows all white. I approach the I Ching as if he is a very old wise Chinese man named Fu Hsi. He is the one pictured in the rocks and mountains of old Chinese landscapes. If a question is really involved and important I would use the stalks. A formal bead session involves using a Tibetan mala and saying a round or few of Tara mantra and then counting off beads from a random pull, to get a 1 or 2 count remainder: 1 yes, 2 no. There are also books that list the possibilities of many ones and twos.

If you search the Dharma Wheel search box on "Mo divination", I think you will find many interesting results.

I am fond of Irish music and Guinness (in moderation) though not necessarily in that order. Put them together and you get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVK45Gq7 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May the road rise to greet you, and for all and ALL: blessed be. :namaste:

oldbob
Occurred to me that I owe Kaji and Bunny an apology. Didn't mean to answer for Kaji. Hope Kaji will answer too. Sometimes enthusiasm carries better judgment away. :oops:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Welcome, Bunny.

Kevin
bunny

Post by bunny »

Hi oldbob & Kevin many thanks for your welcomes.

oldbob: you have having to apologie for :) It happens to us all at the best of times.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

Have you used the "heart method" of divination with I-Ching? This is a method that can be used at any time and any place, without the need of any items. Because of this it is "less formal", as compared to for example the coin method, which I perform at an altar with a ritual at a set time.

I think, and correct me if I am wrong, the form of divination is not as important as the source of your divined information, e.g. to which deity do you ask your questions.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Yes i have :) it was when I accomplished that, that I passed on my I-Ching coins and sticks to someone else.
Kaji wrote:I think, and correct me if I am wrong, the form of divination is not as important as the source of your divined information, e.g. to which deity do you ask your questions.
The form of divination neither the source of the divined information is of importance.

The whole essence of divination is to receive an answer to a question or for guidance using divination methods as an aid to receive an answer or guidance.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

bunny wrote:Yes i have :) it was when I accomplished that, that I passed on my I-Ching coins and sticks to someone else.
Kaji wrote:I think, and correct me if I am wrong, the form of divination is not as important as the source of your divined information, e.g. to which deity do you ask your questions.
The form of divination neither the source of the divined information is of importance.

The whole essence of divination is to receive an answer to a question or for guidance using divination methods as an aid to receive an answer or guidance.
I think the source of the divined information is of important consideration. I know there are some folk divination methods that ask for answers from any random ghosts or spirits that happen to be there to answer your questions. Now some of these ghosts or spirits are genuinely good-hearted beings that selflessly help humans who are committed to good deeds. However this is not always the case. These ghosts, spirits or even gods still have greed, hatred and ignorance - some might have suppressed them momentarily, but nevertheless they are beings yet to be enlightened. They might require something from you in return of their services, a cost that you may not always be prepared to pay.

For this reason in my divination practice I only ask Buddha and Bodhisattva for answers. I try to always ask questions that at least have some relevance to my Bodhisattva path, so even if the Buddha and Bodhisattva do not answer me at least the Dharma protectors might.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Kaji, I respectively disgaree with you about the source of divination. Those that perform those methods of divination are aware of what may happen during thier divination time. This awareness means that they are outside of those looking into the divination method and time. I hope that makes sense?

The method of divination you describe that do you peform yourself makes sense Kaji :)
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I've wondered lately what can be predicted. Very highly realized beings and even Dharma protectors screw up divinations sometimes.

I remember a Lama telling me George Bush will be elected President three times during Bush 1's first term when it looked like Clinton was going to crush him. Strange how things come true in weird ways.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Hi Nemo :)

I was taught (many years ago now) that divination is NOT a tool for prediction/predicting events etc.

As I have already mentioned, I was taught that the essense of divination is for answering questions/guidance. In no other manner should divination be used.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

bunny wrote:Kaji, I respectively disgaree with you about the source of divination. Those that perform those methods of divination are aware of what may happen during thier divination time. This awareness means that they are outside of those looking into the divination method and time. I hope that makes sense?

The method of divination you describe that do you peform yourself makes sense Kaji :)
I generally use divination to seek advice, rather than to predict future events and outcomes.

I would rather seek advice from a Buddha or Maha-Bodhisattva than from any random ghost or spirit any day. No offence to the ghosts and spirits out there; it is simply better to request whatever from one who has attained enlightenment and wisdom, and free of greed, hatred and ignorance.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Kaji, with respect I think you may have picked up what I saying wrongly.

What I mean is that those who practice divination by asking any random spirit/being to aid them is in full knowledge of what that means. They understand that they could receive an angry one or a benevolent one. It is part of their method of divinationa and they understand the risks. Or at least they should, if they had a decent divination teacher they would know this.

I agree with you though, it is best to focus on a spirit/being when asking for guidance with divination.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.

Return to “Introductions”