I am looking for a help with a Mahayana project.

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
hearthstone

I am looking for a help with a Mahayana project.

Post by hearthstone »

Dear people,

I am looking for Bodhisattvas who take over a concept that I have been working on for over a decade and implement it, as I am growing old and sick.

The idea is about resolving all differences, controversies, conflicts, and complaints that there ever might exist among all of us here and now, resolving all those even before these have a chance to manifest.

The idea is presented at http://www.ModelEarth.Org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

Thank you sincerely -
Mr. Jan Hearthstone.
!OmManiPadmeHum!
Son

Re: I am looking for a help with a Mahayana project.

Post by Son »

Could you be more particular please?
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

hearthstone wrote:I am looking for Bodhisattvas....
I doubt any Bodhisattvas would admit they are Bodhisattvas, and if any did they are not trust worthy IMHO.

I am sorry to hear of you ailment and I hope you feel better soon :)

Gassho
Seishin.
Son

Post by Son »

Doesn't Avalokiteshvara accomplish this goal? Why not get together with others and worship him, and continue to spread prayers and let others hear his mantra? If you'd like help on enhancing this practice so that the effects are obvious, let me know.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

Seishin wrote:
hearthstone wrote:I am looking for Bodhisattvas....
I doubt any Bodhisattvas would admit they are Bodhisattvas, and if any did they are not trust worthy IMHO.

I am sorry to hear of you ailment and I hope you feel better soon :)

Gassho
Seishin.
I apologise for going off topic. I thought in a broad sense any beings that has initiated bodhicitta can be called a Bodhisattva.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by initiated bodhicitta. We can take vows to aspire to become a Bodhisattva, but that doesn't make us one. Even those who have progressed are rarely called a Bodhisattva. IMHO a Bodhisattva would have (should have) reliquished their ego (I) so therefore, and only in my opinion, they would never say "hello, I'm a bodhisattva!" :smile: They would simply help. I hope that made sense, and I hope that hasn't put you off your quest.

Gassho,
Seishin.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

Seishin wrote:I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by initiated bodhicitta. We can take vows to aspire to become a Bodhisattva, but that doesn't make us one. Even those who have progressed are rarely called a Bodhisattva. IMHO a Bodhisattva would have (should have) reliquished their ego (I) so therefore, and only in my opinion, they would never say "hello, I'm a bodhisattva!" :smile: They would simply help. I hope that made sense, and I hope that hasn't put you off your quest.

Gassho,
Seishin.
Bodhicitta means "heart of Bodhi" or "heart of enlightenment/awakening", which is the core of Mahayana Buddhism. From what I have learned, one who is committed on one's Bodhicitta can be considered and called a Bodhisattva. Sure, I agree with you - one should be humble and not praise oneself as a Bodhisattva. I have been advised that, if asked by a person whether I am a Bodhisattva, I should quietly answer that person something along the line of "Yes, but only one who has just initiated Bodhicitta". A Bodhisattva cannot deny that by definition he/she/it is a Bodhisattva. Now whether one is a Maha-Bodhisattva is of course a different question. Hope that makes sense.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Thanks Kaji. I know what Bodhicitta is, it was the "initiated" I didn't understand. Thank you for explaining. I've been taught slightly differently which is where the confusion has arisen. I've been taught that one who is committed to developing bodhicitta is on the path of a bodhisattva but not a bodhisattva. A bit like being a trainee doctor :twothumbsup:

Gassho,
Seishin.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

Seishin wrote:Thanks Kaji. I know what Bodhicitta is, it was the "initiated" I didn't understand. Thank you for explaining. I've been taught slightly differently which is where the confusion has arisen. I've been taught that one who is committed to developing bodhicitta is on the path of a bodhisattva but not a bodhisattva. A bit like being a trainee doctor :twothumbsup:

Gassho,
Seishin.
Perhaps we could call one another "apprentice bodhisattva"? But then I have no way of knowing if you're in fact a maha-bodhisattva manifesting as a normal Internet-using human. I think it is safer to just call you a bodhisattva. :smile:

In the Chinese tradition of Buddhism (that I have observed), even some monks and nuns call laypeople bodhisattva (to which the laypeople should respond by respectfully putting their palms together and say Amitaabha). Even in non-Buddhist, everyday situations in the Chinese culture, people have praised those exhibiting selfless compassion as bodhisattva, or having the heart of bodhisattva.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Kaji wrote: Perhaps we could call one another "apprentice bodhisattva"?
I like it :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:

Kaji wrote:But then I have no way of knowing if you're in fact a maha-bodhisattva manifesting as a normal Internet-using human.
Indeed a Bodhisattva will manifest as any living thing in order to help living beings.
Kaji wrote:In the Chinese tradition of Buddhism (that I have observed), even some monks and nuns call laypeople bodhisattva (to which the laypeople should respond by respectfully putting their palms together and say Amitaabha). Even in non-Buddhist, everyday situations in the Chinese culture, people have praised those exhibiting selfless compassion as bodhisattva, or having the heart of bodhisattva.
I think that happens in most traditions. :smile:

Gassho,
Seishin
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

hearthstone wrote:Dear people,

I am looking for Bodhisattvas who take over a concept that I have been working on for over a decade and implement it, as I am growing old and sick.

The idea is about resolving all differences, controversies, conflicts, and complaints that there ever might exist among all of us here and now, resolving all those even before these have a chance to manifest.

The idea is presented at http://www.ModelEarth.Org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

Thank you sincerely -
Mr. Jan Hearthstone.
!OmManiPadmeHum!
Back to topic!

Bodhisattva Hearthstone, I will look at your website when I have more time. For now may I suggest you to, if you haven't already done so, look at being reborn in the West Pure Land when you eventually take a leave from this world (which you seemed to be implying in your post to be not very far in the future)?

According to Amitaabha Tathaagata's 48 vows, as soon as you have been reborn in his Pure Land, you will have obtained a number of powers straight away. These powers allow you to come back to our human world, in whatever form that you deem appropriate, to continue your work. You may choose to do this right after arriving at the Pure Land (and having said hi to Amitaabha Tathaagata and the bodhisattva there), or after you have practised and become a bodhisattva of a higher level.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”