YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Bullying video - Dhamma Wheel

Bullying video

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
PaulD

Bullying video

Postby PaulD » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Warning: video contains violence

http://vimeo.com/21039425

Your thoughts? I would say he had it coming to him. Instant karma. 95% of you will say self defense is not appropriate but what was he supposed to do? Take the abuse and tell the principal? Suspensions, detentions happen but bullying still exists every school one goes to. I'm not saying physical violence is the solution but other bullies will think twice before dishing out physical or verbal abuse again.
Last edited by PaulD on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jhana4

Re: Bullying

Postby Jhana4 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:44 pm

I guess I am with the other 5% for several reasons.

Kamma runs mostly on intent. The intent of a bully is his own glorification at the expense of another's humiliation. The intent of a victim defending him/herself is only not to get hurt.

Kids that age are very resilient physically, but very vulnerable psychologically. A bullied child can carry the humiliation for the rest of his/her life, even if they grow up to be an athlete and a successful fighter. A simple punch in the nose or a shove can prevent a lifetime of hurt and diversion down another path.

The hefty child probably did the bully a favor by throwing him to the ground. At that age kids can physically bounce back. That isn't true so much with fights between adults. Injuries can last a life time and be seriously debilitating. That bully is now much less likely to put himself at risk in the future.
Last edited by Jhana4 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

PaulD

Postby PaulD » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:57 pm

It's back up. I agree with you 100%.

adosa

Re: Bullying video

Postby adosa » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 am

I guess I have to step up my Metta meditation, because honestly, I wish the fat kid would have continued and body slammed the rest of the punks lingering around harassing him.

And what kind of world are we living in when the fat kid gets suspended and the other menace does not? :shrug:

adosa
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:50 pm

The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Bodhisurfer

Postby Bodhisurfer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:00 pm

Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:34 pm

I doubt it. My opinion is that the truism about bullies being opportunistic cowards who stop once they meet resistance is true. I have seen it a zillion times with kids. If there is an aftermath to this I think the parents of the bully will try to sue the school or the victim's parents. In either case, they will be telling their son to stay away from that kid, which he likely will as it looks like he got significantly hurt.

FWIW, the body slam made me cringe. The bully could have ended up crippled. It is tragic enough when that happens to anyone under any circumstances but even more so for something petty.

Hopefully videos like this one will inspire schools and parents to try something different and stop bullying at the source so children like that bully will not be put at risk of having things like that done to them.

Bodhisurfer

Postby Bodhisurfer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Fede

Postby Fede » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Tragically, a bully will continue bullying because a bully thrives on preying on the weak.
Bullying is a weak person's show of strength.

But when the worm turns, it can be devastating.
The blow the bully took to the leg was really serious.
But I bet he'll think twice about taunting someone in future.

And the big boy only defended himself with one move. He did nothing else after that, but leave the scene.
That, in law, would be seen as justifiable self-defence.

I think the school handled the matter unwisely.

But where is there wisdom when a school turns a blind eye?
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

Bodhisurfer

Postby Bodhisurfer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:15 pm

Fede

Postby Fede » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Oh, I'm not implying he didn't know what he was doing.
I think actually, he knew exactly what he was doing. he just wasn't watching where he was doing it.

But if this were an adult case of assault, the law would state that the boy was right to defend himself, but had he delivered a second blow, it would then have turned into a legitimate assault charge.

A very good friend of mine with whom I went to Shiatsu school, was walking home one night, and was accosted by a group of young men.
One in particular started manhandling her, and had no idea he was messing with a regional Black belt Karate Champion.

He pushed her against the wall, and grabbed her bag.

She delivered one blow and fractured his forearm.

A friend of his in the group, knew where she worked, and called the police and reported her for assault.
Because she never ministered any other blow than that one, it was found that she had used reasonable force in self-defence, to prevent further assault on his part from taking place.
She had never intended to break his arm.
Her intention had been to prevent him assaulting her further.

This kid snapped, and slam-dunked the aggressor.
it looks on the video as if the kid has a possible broken ankle.

but I don't suppose for one moment the big kid meant to hurt the skinny bully so badly.
he'd just been pushed to the limit.

As a former School Governor (with some experience in handling bullying) I can safely say in this case, had I been the school Principal, I would also have suspended the skinny bully. In the bat of an eyelid.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Having also been both the bully and the bullied I can say that if you want harrass other people and make their lives unhappy for your own pleasure, then getting your just desserts is just part of the territory.

It's sad the school decided to suspend the big kid and not the bully. If I were the principal it would have been the other way around.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:25 pm

Bullying is one of the things that make my anger arise very quickly. I cannot understand how the school suspended the big kid and let the other one (who punched him, first) without any punishment.

When people are grownups, they can adhere to the non-violence principle and that is praise worthy. But we shouldn't think that kids should live by that standard.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:52 pm

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Public schools don't have enough power to deal with bullies effectively. Expulsion is fought against hard and increases their workload so they will take the path of least resistance: telling the victim to suck it up in so many words.

The best thing a parent of a bullied kid can do is to send that kid to a private school that has the power to kick out problems kids.

Another option is to give that kid karate classes, make sure s/he learns how to fight with appropriately measured responses and then support that kid emotionally when they are inevitably suspended for defending themselves.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Based on my experience of having been raised in the American public schools system, I would say none.

I think someone else in this thread put it well when they wrote that adult ideals don't work well for children in these situations.

Fede

Postby Fede » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:34 pm

Return to “Lounge”