masters of the tradition

Jyoti

Re: masters of the tradition

Post by Jyoti »

Malcolm wrote:
humanpreta wrote:
Is the nirmanakaya buddhafield in one of samsara's realm? i.e.: formless.

No, it is not a formless realm and no it is not part of samsara.

M
nirmanakaya buddhafield = dhamadhatu. samsara = dharmadhtu. samsara = nirvana. Terms are different but not the basis and contents.
humanpreta

Post by humanpreta »

Malcolm wrote:
humanpreta wrote:

M
Where the hell is it then lol? It's a place of total pre-total liberation?

Also, would you please take a peek at my question regarding DI the 3 realms...
humanpreta

Post by humanpreta »

Jyoti wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
humanpreta wrote:

M
nirmanakaya buddhafield = dhamadhatu. samsara = dharmadhtu. samsara = nirvana. Terms are different but not the basis and contents.
You're totally glossing over critical differences. These terms are not equivalent. Study up.
Jyoti

Post by Jyoti »

humanpreta wrote: You're totally glossing over critical differences. These terms are not equivalent. Study up.
I already stated this is referring to the equivalent of the contents and basis, not the differences of terms. If one rely on words instead of meaning in the dharma, there will be more speculation based on words and understand will not be reach.
humanpreta

Post by humanpreta »

Jyoti wrote:
humanpreta wrote: You're totally glossing over critical differences. These terms are not equivalent. Study up.
I already stated this is referring to the equivalent of the contents and basis, not the differences of terms. If one rely on words instead of meaning in the dharma, there will be more speculation based on words and understand will not be reach.
Restating something doesn't make it true. We are communicating with words, so I'm relying on words. If you're going to use words, use them precisely. If I wanted rainbow soup, I'd go to someone much more nuanced in glossing: Kenny W

BTW, do you look anything like your pic? If so, hottttttttttt.
Kris

Post by Kris »

humanpreta wrote:
Jyoti wrote:
Restating something doesn't make it true. We are communicating with words, so I'm relying on words. If you're going to use words, use them precisely. If I wanted rainbow soup, I'd go to someone much more nuanced in glossing: Kenny W

BTW, do you look anything like your pic? If so, hottttttttttt.
:focus:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

I reall am starting to get things now,I know this is just the tip of the iceberg.
I have started a journal to go along with my meditationns,reflections etc
im glad i stuck with the terminology it really opened my eyes to the reality or better yet the COMPLETION,PERFECTION of things.
much more to do, but i must stay determined.
can't wait until ChNN Rinpoche gives the next Direct Intoduction.

thanks Dharma Wheel

:namaste:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

RikudouSennin wrote: can't wait until ChNN Rinpoche gives the next Direct Intoduction.

thanks Dharma Wheel

Do not expect too much ... let yourself be surprized.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Kris

Post by Kris »

Sönam wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote: can't wait until ChNN Rinpoche gives the next Direct Intoduction.

thanks Dharma Wheel

Do not expect too much ... let yourself be surprized.

Sönam
:good: I know what you mean.
i guess im all excited because the historical value of the teachings.
I feel like im going to be apart of this realized traditio of masters.
Idk i view it like the sage/mahasiddhas of old, i feel like im finally connectiong
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Malcolm wrote:
Malcolm wrote: So whats the chance of becoming fully awakened in this lifetime after being introduced o your real nature?
You just need to connect with Chogyal Namkhai Norbu and not look back. He is the only teacher alive today that I know of who had two masters achieve rainbow body in this life.
I once heard that Yangthang Tulku has personally witnessed 9 cases of rainbow body -- but I wasn't present at the teaching where he said it. It is good to catch this old master while we still can.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I would just like to note that the term "direct introduction" is the translation favored by the Dzogchen Community of ngo sprod ངོ་སྤྲོད- which can also be translated as pointing out instructions, or pointing out directly, etc. All dzogchen masters give ngo sprod, some formally, some informally, some traditionally, some non-traditionally, some immediately, some on down the road.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Yudron wrote:I would just like to note that the term "direct introduction" is the translation favored by the Dzogchen Community of ngo sprod ངོ་སྤྲོད- which can also be translated as pointing out instructions, or pointing out directly, etc. All dzogchen masters give ngo sprod, some formally, some informally, some traditionally, some non-traditionally, some immediately, some on down the road.

... forgive the grammar, I'm nt goin for that anyway... :tongue:
I don't want to sound "sarcastic" but you can get "direct introduction" and never know you had it, or was even offered it from some of those teachers in your rather interesting categories, not to disrespect any of those teachers, as they are all probably some great ones that fit into the "Yudron Classes of Introduction" ( :twothumbsup: ): "formally, some informally, some traditionally, some non-traditionally, some immediately, some on down the road" ... now if those aren't your classes, please let me know...
so... until you have that experience with a teacher that actually lets you know what they are doing, indeed, that they are giving you direct introduction, and then once you "get it" and know where you got it, then you might look back and recall it was given by another master, or more than one master to you, maybe YEARS ago and you didn't know what they were doin..."formally, some informally, some traditionally, some non-traditionally, some immediately, some on down the road"...so if you didn't "get it" then this is something you should know experientially, and if you "got it" then you should be sure how, when, and who the teacher was you got into your natural state with and "knew it" experientially. Also, if you have not been in the same state as the teacher through his/her "direct introduction" then you won't be able to move to step two, which is to be certain of it, without doubt... just sayin...

Example: He said "Banana Emanation" while holding up a banana and pointing directly to the Banana in 1988, and lookin me squarely in the eyes, and I didn't know what he was talkin about at the time...(flashback! ah...!!!)

lol :pig:
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

T. Chokyi wrote:
Yudron wrote:I would just like to note that the term "direct introduction" is the translation favored by the Dzogchen Community of ngo sprod ངོ་སྤྲོད- which can also be translated as pointing out instructions, or pointing out directly, etc. All dzogchen masters give ngo sprod, some formally, some informally, some traditionally, some non-traditionally, some immediately, some on down the road.

... forgive the grammar, I'm nt goin for that anyway... :tongue:
I don't want to sound "sarcastic" but you can get "direct introduction" and never know you had it, or was even offered it from some of those teachers in your rather interesting categories, not to disrespect any of those teachers, as they are all probably some great ones that fit into the "Yudron Classes of Introduction" ( :twothumbsup: ): "formally, some informally, some traditionally, some non-traditionally, some immediately, some on down the road" ... now if those aren't your classes, please let me know...
so... until you have that experience with a teacher that actually lets you know what they are doing, indeed, that they are giving you direct introduction, and then once you "get it" and know where you got it, then you might look back and recall it was given by another master, or more than one master to you, maybe YEARS ago and you didn't know what they were doin..."formally, some informally, some traditionally, some non-traditionally, some immediately, some on down the road"...so if you didn't "get it" then this is something you should know experientially, and if you "got it" then you should be sure how, when, and who the teacher was you got into your natural state with and "knew it" experientially. Also, if you have not been in the same state as the teacher through his/her "direct introduction" then you won't be able to move to step two, which is to be certain of it, without doubt... just sayin...

Example: He said "Banana Emanation" while holding up a banana and pointing directly to the Banana in 1988, and lookin me squarely in the eyes, and I didn't know what he was talkin about at the time...(flashback! ah...!!!)

lol :pig:
I don't get what you are saying, but I seem to have rubbed you the wrong way.

I'm just clarifying that when you are working with English translations of the technical terminology of Dzogchen, you risk having some people thinking they need to get (something called) direct introduction, when they have already received (something called) pointing out instructions, when both terms refer to the same thing. You make it sound like I am making some arrogant categories of kinds of ngo trö, and I apologize if that is how I sounded in my post. One can read the lives of the great masters of Dzogchen, such as Nyoshul Lhuntog Tenpa'i Nyima, and so on, and see that ngo trö is given in all kinds of ways. I'm not qualified to talk about getting it versus not getting it and all that, because I am just an ordinary person.
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

I don't really get what T.Chokyi is trying to say either. Not only is his post insulting, it also seems to contradicts what ChNN says himself about direct introduction: that there are many ways that a teacher can transmit this, not only in formal pointing out sessions. I believe that not only ChNN but many other dzogchen teachers have said that it is possible for realized masters to always be giving direct introduction. Perhaps I am wrong, but it also seems that it is not the case that the student must be in the same state as the guru during this introduction. If the student does not immediately recognize their nature, then they can use any method appropriate after the initial pointing out to discover it. So they most certaintly can move on to step two if they didn't happen to be in the same state as the master during the initial introduction. Again, maybe I am mistaken, but either way Yudron is a very experienced and wise practitioner, much more than myself, so maybe you could show her a little respect.

Just sayin...
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I consider myself a beginner.

There is no uniformity in the way that Dzogchen terminology is translated, so we each become familiar with the way our teachers' translators conventions. I am trying to learn the vocabulary in Tibetan, and I am of the opinion that we all should. All translators would say it's ideal to start to get the meaning directly from the Tibetan, so that distortion does not creep in based on their translations.

In relation to discussions on DW, we can't even meaningfully talk to each other across sanghas if we use exclusively the English terminology prevalent in our group.
Kris

Post by Kris »

I cant wait until the retreat begins, it will be my first.
Cant deny i want to recognize the true nature immediately but i dont want to dewll on it because i just may.
but at least if i dont, i know i can keep working on it becasue Rinpoche bllessed me with DI or pointing out etc.
this is exciting.
im not trying to reach some nirvikalpa state but recognize the real nature of things as they are.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

I don't get what you are saying, but I seem to have rubbed you the wrong way.
Not at all.
I'm just clarifying that when you are working with English translations of the technical terminology of Dzogchen, you risk having some people thinking they need to get (something called) direct introduction, when they have already received (something called) pointing out instructions, when both terms refer to the same thing. You make it sound like I am making some arrogant categories of kinds of ngo trö, and I apologize if that is how I sounded in my post.
I thought your post was good, and I found a kind of humor in it... so I wasn't saying it was arrogant at all...so I thought you might "play" with what I said... interesting interpretation though... nuff said, no problem on my part though, and certainly no offense meant... back to the drawing board! :thinking:
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Jyoti wrote:
What you have quoted here are not things. They are conceptual elaborations. What you need to know is that dharmadhatu does not act as a cause. Instead of looking at books and all their words, look at your experiences.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
username

Post by username »

I don't think T.Chokyi insulted anyone. Secondly I also don't think she/he disagreed with anyone here. In fact the opposite. Thirdly I don't think she/he is opposing what ChNN said but is agreeing again. T.Chokyi says there are numerous types of Direct Introduction and many appear otherwise until one realizes later how the master was giving it by various means. This is exactly what ChNN has often said about his own experience with his root guru, other Masters & now himself. Everyone has their karmic vision when reading the post but after reading that post a few times it's obvious to me just as it was on first reading.

There can be infinite suggested words as translations by experienced translators or those starting Tibetan as absolute beginners but for mahamudra use many prefer "Pointing Out" as convention. To avoid numerous suggestions possible & confusion, as a convention Dzogchen followers of ChNN like many other translators & texts use the terms "Direct Introduction" like himself.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Kris

Post by Kris »

any audio or video teaching resoures on the vajra guru mantra
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines

Return to “Dzogchen”