Impermanence

waimengwan

Impermanence

Post by waimengwan »

Can someone let me know which part of the Lamrim (Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand) talks about impermanence.

What is everyone views about impermanence anything good that comes out of it?
wukong

Re: Impermanence

Post by wukong »

All things come out of impermanence. My favourite of them is chocolate
heart

Post by heart »

wukong wrote:All things come out of impermanence. My favourite of them is chocolate
:smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Son

Post by Son »

waimengwan wrote:Can someone let me know which part of the Lamrim (Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand) talks about impermanence.

What is everyone views about impermanence anything good that comes out of it?
Impermanence is just one of existence's qualities, the other two being emptiness and unsatisfactoriness. They are most importantly understood together. For example, what is impermanent is also empty and thus unsatisfactory. What is empty cannot be permanent, thus it is unsatisfactory. All that these qualities apply to is called samsara.

So it is a very, very virtuous notion to focus on and contemplate. What comes from impermanence is empty and unsatisfying, what comes from emptiness is impermanent and unsatisfying, what comes from unsatisfactoriness is impermanent and empty. The release from these qualities is pure bliss, and the absolute end of suffering. In the sense of their unfathomable importance, they are sort of equal to the Hindu trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva.

So, this is my perspective on the matter.
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

waimengwan wrote:What is everyone views about impermanence anything good that comes out of it?
Precious human life - with the ability to enjoy impermanent chocolate! :twothumbsup:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Chocolates are made to be impermanent for sure :)

@Son thank you for your sharing. I have not heard about from emptiness we derive dissatisfaction and impermanence, thats new to me. Coz I thought from realising emptiness you are free from the ignorance of how things really are. How can realisation from emptiness bring about more dissatisfaction. If I am off tangent please correct me.
Son

Post by Son »

waimengwan wrote:Chocolates are made to be impermanent for sure :)

@Son thank you for your sharing. I have not heard about from emptiness we derive dissatisfaction and impermanence, thats new to me. Coz I thought from realising emptiness you are free from the ignorance of how things really are. How can realisation from emptiness bring about more dissatisfaction. If I am off tangent please correct me.
What is empty is impermanent and unsatisfactory. For example the body is empty, and thus impermanent and unsatisfactory.
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

What is empty is impermanent and unsatisfactory. For example the body is empty, and thus impermanent and unsatisfactory.
Thank you.
lucidaromulus

Post by lucidaromulus »

i believe impermanence is in the small scope teachings of the lam rim.

just sharing my experience. i'm quite a newbie in engaged Buddhism. (in my country we all think we are Buddhist when we offer incense daily to the Buddha or Chenrezig :lol: i thought that was all until i read the lam rim)

perhaps a short and effective way to contemplate on impermanence would be the "All compounded things are impermanent" from the four seals of Buddhism.
and also contemplate on the "Suffering of Change" which stated in sutra is “The suffering of change is that which is pleasant when arising, pleasant when remaining, but painful when ceasing.” this comes from the Three types of suffering.

we love to perceive things as permanent due to our attachment. however, through these contemplations or meditations(habituating the mind) above i believe one should be able to develop renunciation.

Just as the three poisons are "attachment" , "aversion" and "ignorance" we should use it to help us develop their "good" :lol: counterparts "renunciation", "boddhicitta" and "emptiness/wisdom".
SunRay

Post by SunRay »

I feel that the positive thing coming out of impermanence is that Samsara is impermanent. The suffering is only a temporary condition. In the end every sentient being will be liberated. Once all the clouds have dissolved there is only Clear Light. In Lam-Rim impermanence is the beginning, in the middle, and in the end. Lam-Rim is the manifestation of the two truths and the method of realizing them.

Om Ah Guru Vajradhara Sumati Kirti Siddhi Hum
OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
SunRay

Post by SunRay »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQhN4f1k ... ure=relmfu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA

Return to “Gelug”