YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Hello from Nice - Dhamma Wheel

Hello from Nice

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Orlando

Hello from Nice

Postby Orlando » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:28 pm

I have read up a bit on Buddhism in the past and done a little meditation, as part of my spiritual meanderings. Have been mainly humanistic and skeptical lately, but am investigating Buddhism again. I am looking for more inner peace basically, less anger about things that have gone wrong, or unfairly, or fear of aging and death and so on.

I once saw the Dalai Lama do a talk to a small group and saw him very close, and felt uplifted and happy in his presence. That is one reason among many that I feel Buddhism has things to offer, but I feel at the moment that Theravada is perhaps a simpler and purer form of Buddhism, closer to what the Buddha taught. I have just been watching some of Ajahn Brahm's talks and he seems to me to have a kind of compassionate and wise attitude that I would like to cultivate in myself.

I am unsure about some of the Buddhist doctrines, but feel I need to give it more of a chance, perhaps see if I can find a meditation class etc. However I looked into it a bit and am not sure if there is anywhere with a Theravada tradition in Nice, France, where I live. There is a Zen dojo and I think some kind of Tibetan group. Anyway, I need to start investigating more I guess.

By the way, regarding Buddhist terminology, is Dhamma/Dharma and Nibbana/Nirvana arahant/arhat etc a Mahayana vs. Theravada thing?

beeblebrox

Re: Hello from Nice

Postby beeblebrox » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Welcome, Orlando.

Dhamma is in Pali, while Dharma is Sanskrit. I think there's no difference, other than the spelling. Sometimes there's a very different connotation due to a popular usage, such as kamma/karma... they should be the same words, but the latter is badly interpreted by an average person. The Theravada texts are in the Pali language, while the Mahayana texts seem to be based on Sanskrit, for some reason.

:anjali:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

bodom

Postby bodom » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Welcome Orlando!

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Greetings Orlando and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Orlando

Postby Orlando » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:13 pm

Return to “Introductions”