Taking Refuge

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Taking Refuge

Postby vajrahorizon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:50 am

Hey All,

I'm at the stage where I want to formally take refuge. I have been lurking around Buddhism for nearly 30 odd years and think it's about time to formally commit. As I get older the teachings seem more accurate and I really am looking for a community to help me stay on the path.

I don't have a teacher or a sangha as such. Do I need a Sangha to so do? I think some sort of ritual would make it stronger.

The other issue I have is that I don't really have a particular stream of Buddhism as I'm interested in Theravada, Zen and Kagyu.

Any advice would be appreciated.

VH

Truth is I go to the Dharma for refuge but forget about it when life is good. I want to make sure this doesn't happen again.
vajrahorizon

Re: Taking Refuge

Postby Virgo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:58 am

Taking formal refuge would be great. It sounds like a fantastic idea. Do you want to practice tantric or sutric?

Kevin
Virgo

Postby vajrahorizon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:32 am

Virgo wrote:Taking formal refuge would be great. It sounds like a fantastic idea. Do you want to practice tantric or sutric?

Kevin

Once my base practices are established I would like to go tantric, but I would happily spend a number of years in Shamata practice to get there.

I'm in no rush. I really want to stablise the basics before jumping in the deep end, though I thought different many years ago.
VH
vajrahorizon

Postby chokyi lodro » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:09 am

I'm in the same boat. I've been interested in Buddhism since 14 (now 32), but have spent some time away (Hinduism and Christianity).
~ Chökyi Lodrö
chokyi lodro

Postby Osho » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Birds of a feather flock together.
You can't beat a friendly and warm hearted Sangha for supporting practice.
Not to say that someone can't go it alone but there are so many benefits to being in the company of folks on the same path.
Ethnic Buddhisms can be hard work for some Westerners. No one is ever as smart in a second language. Plus you'll always be that alien presence to the leathery little old ladies who make the tea, gossip and laugh in a dialect you will never understand and who actually run the temple. There are lots of 'Buddhism Comes West' options out there probably some near you.
Shop around.
Wishing you every success on your journey.
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).
Osho

Postby Osho » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:23 pm

I'd give the New Kadampas a miss though. It's a bit cultic.
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).
Osho

Return to Exploring Buddhism