Why label?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Music

Why label?

Post by Music »

Just a quick question. Must we label everything we experience?
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Why label?

Post by DGA »

No.

It can be useful to do so under some circumstances (drink the water, not the vinegar). But you don't need the label "water" to benefit from a cool drink on a hot day.
cesar

Post by cesar »

Jikan wrote:No.

It can be useful to do so under some circumstances (drink the water, not the vinegar). But you don't need the label "water" to benefit from a cool drink on a hot day.
well put. :)
Music

Post by Music »

I meant labeling while meditating, as in vipasana.
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Certainly not, in fact a large aspect of meditation is learning not to label. When thoughts arise, learning not to label them such as "good, bad, important, distracting". Just seeing the mind and not labeling our thoughts and experiences, and the goal is to do this in meditation then bring it into all times of your life.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

It's a pen, guys. Not a chew toy. Don't have any choice in the matter. Like I can snap my fingers and change the way my karma is making me perceive? Don't think so.

So what to do, whatever to do? Just chillax.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
muni

Post by muni »

Experiences are clouds already gone.

Labeling consciousness stream as I, labeling things as mine, my experience... In our language we do so, but nice it should be, to see the illusion of labeling, at least for me. :pig:

:anjali:
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Music

Post by Music »

Let's say I am observing my breath but go off on a train of thought. Do I just label it 'thinking' and then return to breath? It is this kind of labeling I am talking about.
Osho

Post by Osho »

Maybe just let it go.
Labelling it is just another thing to think about.
No impertinence intended.
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).
muni

Post by muni »

Music wrote:Let's say I am observing my breath but go off on a train of thought. Do I just label it 'thinking' and then return to breath? It is this kind of labeling I am talking about.

When mind is going to wander (in thoughts), don't worry, simple come back. Yongye Mingyur Rinpoche.
:anjali:
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”