Can I recite in literal English?

NGSigma

Can I recite in literal English?

Post by NGSigma »

Dear all,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
I am glad I found this forum as I have questions regarding Buddha's Name recitation that I have failed to find the answers so far.

I have been practicing recitation of Amitabha since 2010. Being an ethnic chinese, I started reciting "阿彌陀佛" as how every chinese cultivator pronounces the name. However, as time went by, I found reciting 'Amitabha Buddha' in English pronunciation much easier. This is especially so, when I am doing silent recitation. For some unknown reason(s), I find it difficult to pronounce the syallabus "陀" in my mind during silent recitation.

The question I would like to ask is: can one pronounce 'Amitabha Buddha' instead of "阿彌陀佛" for one's cultivation? Or is this a must that one uses "阿彌陀佛"?

Many thanks in advance.

Dan
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Can I recite in literal English?

Post by DGA »

Hi Dan,

The sutra doesn't specify which language you need to recite Amida's name in, does it? The practice works in Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Tibetan... there's no reason why it shouldn't work in English too, if you are motivated by earnest intentions and an attitude of devotion.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Yes you can and btw, 'Amitabha Buddha' is Sanskrit...
One English translation of that is 'Infinite Light Awakened One'...
http://www.drba.org/dharma/amitabhasutra.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shariputra, what do you think? Why is this Buddha called Amitabha?
Shariputra, the brilliance of that Buddha's light is measureless, illumining the lands of the ten directions everywhere without obstruction. For this reason he is called Amitabha.
NGSigma

Post by NGSigma »

Thank you very much guys for your replies ! :thanks:

I am very happy to hear I am not using the wrong recitation method...
Osho

Post by Osho »

All success to your practice.
It's the intention not the language used that matters.
:-)
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).
cj39

Post by cj39 »

plwk wrote:Yes you can and btw, 'Amitabha Buddha' is Sanskrit...
One English translation of that is 'Infinite Light Awakened One'...
http://www.drba.org/dharma/amitabhasutra.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shariputra, what do you think? Why is this Buddha called Amitabha?
Shariputra, the brilliance of that Buddha's light is measureless, illumining the lands of the ten directions everywhere without obstruction. For this reason he is called Amitabha.
If you want to keep to the semi-traditional six syllables, 'Praise Buddha Boundless Life Light [or Life]' also works as a translation.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

Personally, I use the Sanskrit "Namo Amitābhāya Tathāgatāya". I include the "Namo" (take refuge) bit as I have learned that it is more respectful. However, I believe there is nothing wrong with just reciting "Amitābhbha Tathāgata" or "Amitābha Buddha".
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!

Return to “Pure Land”