YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

the great Nibbana = annihilation, eternal, or something else thread - Page 23 - Dhamma Wheel

the great Nibbana = annihilation, eternal, or something else thread

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
A_Martin

Re: Nibbana is Freedom Not Extinction

Postby A_Martin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:07 am

Straight from the heart, Things as they are and a Life of Inner Quality, all by the Venerable Acharn Maha Bua have been revised, difficult passages have been re translated from the Thai by a western monk who has trained more than 25 years under Venerable Acharn Maha Bua. I would advise to read the books of Than Acharn Maha Bua as you can find them on his website www.luangta.com/english, or forestdhammabooks. Maybe ore hopefully there will be less confusion then.
>> Phu ru, the One who knows, is avijja, Once Phu ru is gone, there is only kwarm ru luluan, infinite knowing, whatever you want to know, you can know.
>> Once avijja breaks down, you will see all the three realms, it is only avijja who hides them. The Past is there, e.g. you can see all your previous lifes and the future.
Some remarks the Venerable Acharn Maha Bua made in his talks to the monks. So little has been translated. In the last 15 years of his life he has given so complete descriptions of the path of practice and the encounters of a practitioner, that it is a real pity, that these have not been translated. I will try to translate with the help of a friend a few important ones.
As long as we are raindrops, we are limited and have an identity, once we fall back to where we belong, the vast ocean, we will loose our identity and whatever the ocean knows, is known. (However the ocean has no limits)
Words are conventional reality, nibbana is not conventional, so whatever we say about nibbana is limited, is bound to our understanding of conventional reality.
Metta Martin

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:13 pm

I agree with Martin. There is no point trying to clarify it logically. I might as well try to logically grasp the taste of oranges - but even that simile is not adequate because this about 'something' which does not exist is any shape or form that we know, yet cannot be said not to exist.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:09 pm

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

mlswe

Postby mlswe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:56 am

dhammapal

Postby dhammapal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:41 am

ground

Postby ground » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:20 pm

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:59 pm

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

ground

Postby ground » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:59 pm

villkorkarma

Re: Is the result of Parinibbana Annihilation?

Postby villkorkarma » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:23 pm

There is no I becourse I think maybe we and others beeing reborn with different situations good and bad so therefore and the influenting beginns there and the process has started already, there is no choice just things happens thats all.
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:51 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

nathan

Postby nathan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:23 pm

But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:03 am

Nibbana paccaya consciousness (vinnana)?

Vinnana paccaya nibbana?

There is no such causal connection, to reflect (mirror like) off each other. There can be no conscious awareness of the nibbana-dhathu.

Consciousness only reflects Nama-rupa.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:27 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:42 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi Alex.

I'm not looking for any kind of deductive or inferential argument based upon any sutta passages.

I am interested in a sutta passage which directly, clearly and unambiguously states "there can be no conscious awareness of the nibbana-dhathu"

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:06 pm

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:24 pm

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:48 pm

Kirk,

in any case, you know what the suttas state about viññāṇa and parinibbāna. It is the end of consciousness and there isn't anything "that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity".

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”