Milarepa -- too lazy to practise Dzogchen or no results?

Sherlock

Milarepa -- too lazy to practise Dzogchen or no results?

Post by Sherlock »

There are two different versions of Milarepa's story about receiving Dzogchen teachings, in one he just slacks off because he hears about how rapid Dzogchen is and in the other he practises diligently without results until his teacher sends him away. Which is the older one?
Malcolm

Re: Milarepa -- too lazy to practise Dzogchen or no results?

Post by Malcolm »

Sherlock wrote:There are two different versions of Milarepa's story about receiving Dzogchen teachings, in one he just slacks off because he hears about how rapid Dzogchen is and in the other he practises diligently without results until his teacher sends him away. Which is the older one?

The first.
krodha

Post by krodha »

Sherlock wrote:There are two different versions of Milarepa's story about receiving Dzogchen teachings, in one he just slacks off because he hears about how rapid Dzogchen is and in the other he practises diligently without results until his teacher sends him away. Which is the older one?
Is there links to both versions online? I have the book "The Life Of Milarepa" not sure which version is in there though I'll have to look...
sherabpa

Post by sherabpa »

Where is the version that he practices diligently? I have not heard that.

Certainly in the famous hagiography of Tsang Nyom Heruka, the most well known 'biography', he does not practice.

Of course, Milarepa was not lazy as such, as we know from his biography. Rather, he interpreted the teaching on nonmeditation in a very literal way:

"Through this meeting I too have become one of those fortunate bodhisattvas who, having heard the teaching, do not even have to meditate on it. Triumphant, and thinking this way, without meditating, I spent the time sleeping."

I remember drawing attention to this story once in this forum, but the thread was deleted for reasons that were not clear to me. That is a shame since it is such a nice story, and very profound, in a way.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

The story about him practising diligently is from the 3rd Karmapa, you can read it in the article "The Early Education of Milarepa".

Return to “Dzogchen”