Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:13 pm 

What if any are the differences between these two traditions?

Thanks in advance for the answers :namaste:

~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:14 pm 

Generally, Ch'an (Chinese) and Zen (Japanese) are two transliterations of the same name. This is not to say that the two have not developed perceived differences over time. Both take Nāgārjuna as an early founder.

:namaste:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:33 pm 

Thank you

~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:03 pm 

Dave The Seeker wrote:
What if any are the differences between these two traditions?

Thanks in advance for the answers :namaste:

This is an enormous question.

Perhaps ask something more specific with regards to specific Chan and Zen traditions?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:11 pm 

Huseng wrote:
This is an enormous question.

Perhaps ask something more specific with regards to specific Chan and Zen traditions?

Well I guess from what I've read, it seems Chan seems to be more like Gelug or other Tibetin traditions. Referring to The Buddha, Bhodisattvas and Dharma protectors.
Where what I've read of Zen the former of the three don't seem to be as prominent as in Chan.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, or not getting the jist of what I am reading :shrug:

~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:56 pm 

Dave The Seeker wrote:
Well I guess from what I've read, it seems Chan seems to be more like Gelug or other Tibetin traditions. Referring to The Buddha, Bhodisattvas and Dharma protectors.
Where what I've read of Zen the former of the three don't seem to be as prominent as in Chan.

If you research Zen texts and philosophy, and art, you will find the Buddhas, Bhodisattvas and Dharma protectors. In contemporary practice of Zen, particularly in the West, these are rarely discussed and not a focus of practice. Thus, you won't see or read much about them. Practice differences from Ch'an, as Huseng noted, are the biggest differences.

:namaste: