YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Pingu - Dhamma Wheel

Pingu

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
chownah

Pingu

Postby chownah » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:20 am

There's a cartoon on Thai TV called Pingu.....its unique in that seems to be displaying appropriate adult and childhood attitudes. It has a copyright of 2002 so its been around for awhile but has appeared on Thai TV for just a few months.

Has anyone else seen it or heard of it? I'm asking because I have been living in Thailand since before 2002 and I'm wondering if this cartoon was a big hit somewhere else in the world...just idle curiosity...also to let parents know that maybe they could get access to Pingu for thier kids since I think it is a cut above other cartoons.

chownah

cooran

Re: Pingu

Postby cooran » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:37 am

Hello chownah,

This may be of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingu
http://www.pingu.net/uk/

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:20 am

Pingu is an old Swiss cartoon from the 80ies I believe. My wife (who is Swiss) grew up with it and we made sure we have some for our kids as well!

They love it!!

I think it is fairly well-known in Europe. It's just the American kids it seems who grow up on a diet of hyperactive Warner Bros cartoons. Is the high prevalence of ADHS in that country a coincidence, I wonder?
_/|\_

lojong1

Postby lojong1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:43 am

That was on in Canada 5ish year ago, it was bizarre. This little penguin went outside to play, didn't kill anyone, didn't mouth off, just had fun sliding around on the ice, then went home for dinner. The end. I loved it.

I reckon it mightn't interest kids who have already been taking the usual bloody fast paced stuff for a few years. Worth a shot.
Last edited by lojong1 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:44 am

Greetings,

Yes, my son quite liked Pingu when he was 3 or so.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Sanjog

Postby Sanjog » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:30 am

A good while ago while I still lived in Nepal Cartoon Network India introduced Pingu with some other cartoons. It is an amazing cartoon.

I dont think any other cartoons that was aired alongside Pingu were violent: Noddy, Oswald, Kipper, Bob the Builder and Pingu.

James the Giant

Postby James the Giant » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:25 am

I can do a perfect Pingu voice. Even down to the laugh. It really is quite an astoundingly accurate mimicry.
It's a hidden talent I discovered during university, but don't ask me how I got started.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.

Return to “Lounge”