Meditation

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Meditation

Postby Music » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:26 pm

I don't mean general meditation but specifically what is the Tibetan meditation technique? Is it similar to other Buddhist practices like vipasana? What makes it unique?
Music

Re: Meditation

Postby Andrew108 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:58 pm

It's a unique way of doing shamata and vipasana.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Andrew108

Postby cesar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Music wrote:I don't mean general meditation but specifically what is the Tibetan meditation technique? Is it similar to other Buddhist practices like vipasana? What makes it unique?

there are many different techniques. most essential is shamatha (calm-abiding) and vipashayana (insight meditation).
very basic. they both work separately and in union at different levels of practice and practices.
and there is Mahamudra meditation. but one usually needs to establish some stability in the first two techniques.

shamatha and vipashyana i would say are pretty similar to other meditation techniques.
one might say the uniqueness of Mahamudra in the sense of understanding that there is the quality of all phenomena and not having to get rid of or block out anything. but i think you might find this in other meditation practices. Shikantaza, (just sitting) in Soto Zen tradition, comes to mind.

the uniqueness comes in every individuals conditions and circumstances. therefore, specific meditation instructions.

many rivers, leading to the ocean of Dharma.

cheers,
césar
cesar

Postby dharmagoat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:10 am

cesar wrote:there are many different techniques. most essential is shamatha (calm-abiding) and vipashayana (insight meditation).
very basic. they both work separately and in union at different levels of practice and practices.
and there is Mahamudra meditation. but one usually needs to establish some stability in the first two techniques.

shamatha and vipashyana i would say are pretty similar to other meditation techniques.
one might say the uniqueness of Mahamudra in the sense of understanding that there is the quality of all phenomena and not having to get rid of or block out anything. but i think you might find this in other meditation practices. Shikantaza, (just sitting) in Soto Zen tradition, comes to mind.

Mahāmudrā meditation is described as the union of śamatha and vipaśyanā meditation. In the mahāmudrā tradition, first one masters śamatha, then extends that to master vipaśyanā, eventually combining and refining these two to practice mahāmudrā meditation.

As far as I can tell, there is no difference between between the technique of shikantaza and that of mahāmudrā meditation. Maybe someone familiar with both could make a distinction.
May all beings be happy
dharmagoat

Postby Andrew108 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:03 am

The difference in Mahamudra is that you get the vipasana from the teacher as a transmission or pointing out.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Andrew108

Postby cesar » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Andrew108 wrote:The difference in Mahamudra is that you get the vipasana from the teacher as a transmission or pointing out.

well noted. very important.
cesar

Return to Tibetan Buddhism