Shabkar's books

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Shabkar's books

Postby Pero » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:14 pm

So does anyone have the two books below? What did you think of them? Are the songs in the style of pith instructions or like drinking songs or something? Is the autobiography like that of Dudjom Lingpa?

The Life Of Shabkar
Songs of Shabkar
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Re: Shabkar's books

Postby heart » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Pero wrote:So does anyone have the two books below? What did you think of them? Are the songs in the style of pith instructions or like drinking songs or something? Is the autobiography like that of Dudjom Lingpa?

The Life Of Shabkar
Songs of Shabkar

He was a monk and ngakpa, didn't drink or have women, so hardly any drinking songs :smile: . I have Life of Shakbar and it is very interesting until he gets famous.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby deff » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:21 pm

i just started 'the life of Shabkar' a few days ago and am really enjoying it so far. i haven't read Dudjom Lingpa's biography so i can't compare them...
deff

Postby Pero » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:01 am

heart wrote:He was a monk and ngakpa, didn't drink or have women, so hardly any drinking songs :smile: . I have Life of Shakbar and it is very interesting ..

How could it be interesting, you just said he didn't have women and didn't drink? :D
In any case I ordered it so I'll soon see.

deff wrote:i just started 'the life of Shabkar' a few days ago and am really enjoying it so far. i haven't read Dudjom Lingpa's biography so i can't compare them...

Well, Dudjom Lingpa's is kind of uhm, magical I guess. Lots of descriptions of visions/dreams and magic.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Postby deff » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:37 am

so far there's not too much magic :smile: spare a couple visions and some clairvoyance - but most of it seems to be based around practical Dharma advice, i'm enjoying it :smile:
deff

Return to Nyingma