Greeting to All - and two reference book questions

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.

Greeting to All - and two reference book questions

Postby Dr Meercat » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:54 am

Greetings,

I started getting into Buddhism when I was in intensive pysch outpatient care about 18 mos. ago. Part of therapy was mindfulness meditation as laid out for the medical profession by John Cabot-Zinn. It was very difficult to do & I"m still struggling to do much more than daydream 90% of the time.

Over time I've started meeting with Buddhists (Tibetan/Gelug) in town. This has been going on for about 8 mos. or so. I have so much to learn.

I'm also into the 12 step recovery programs (i.e, AA/etc.).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Buddhist reference book as to Sanskrit/Pali terms?

Are there any books that are good choices for a Buddhist encyclopedia?

I look forward to learning from ea. of you.
Dr Meercat

Re: Greeting to All - and two reference book questions

Postby Yogicfire » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:20 am

Welcome to the board. Nice introduction.

I would go easy on yourself regarding the meditation. 10% of focus is great, the daydreaming will subside in time, as you get into your practice. No need to worry unduly about all that.... keep at it, and you will reap the benefits.

I remember a good book on Buddhism called 'The Buddhist Handbook' by John Snelling. This is well written and clear. It takes you through the historical developments, as well as the doctrinal side of things. At the back, there is a large glossary on Buddhist terms.

Recently, I bought 'A Dictionary of Buddhist Terms and Concepts' which is published by Nichiren Shoshu International Center. It is very good, and has an extensive list of entries (1400), which for a regular sized hardback is pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Buddhi ... 087&sr=8-1

I found it to be unbiased, and not particularly coming from any one angle or doctrinal view. It also seems cheaper than the other Buddhist dictionaries (25 dollars for a used copy on Amazon).

In truth though, I would probably recommend that you bought a decent book with a good glossary, rather than an expensive dictionary, as it would probably benefit you more in the long run. You can always go to the library or Buddhist center to look through the larger reference books...

Also, online there are more and more resources on Buddhism popping up. A quick check found this:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/glossary.html

Best wishes,

YF
Yogicfire

Postby Namu Butsu » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Hello Dr.meercat,

Firstly I hope you do great on your journey. I personally would recommend any of the books written by Thich Nhat Hanh. It is a great source to understanding Buddhism and mindfulness and actually learning to apply it.

Best of luck on your journeys

Namandabu
"Just say the nembutsu and be liberated" Shinran Shonin
"However hard it may be to bid farewell to this world, when the conditions that bind us to this saha [samsara] realm run out, we are powerless to do anything as the final hour arrives and we are swept away to that Land." -A Record in Lament of Divergences
Namu Butsu

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:44 am

Greetings,

Welcome to Dharma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes

Dhamma Wheel (Theravada forum) * Here Comes Trouble
retrofuturist
Founding Member

Return to Introductions