Buddha-nature

BFS

Buddha-nature

Post by BFS »

http://www.thubtenchodron.org/AudioLib ... urn false;

A neat teaching on Buddha-nature by Ven. Thubten Chodron. How absolutist predispositions cause one to misconceive Buddha nature and create the idea of a "soul", a "big self", an "inherent" me.
Buddhanature it is not some kind of self existent soul or pure nature of me~ness or you~ness. Buddha nature is possible because nothing is inherently existent."
muni

Re: Buddha-nature

Post by muni »

Some traditions seems to have problems with this.
I think how we percieve labels as strange or fit in our way of thinking is an example of the limits of mind and the colors of habits, inveterate tendencies. Whatever label, it can get a shape by obscurations or be used. Not the expressions are the problem but to remain mindful and not delude own being. And not useful; hop it over the shoulder.
Easy done.

Clouds need not to prove the sky. :anjali:
mudra

Post by mudra »

muni wrote:Some traditions seems to have problems with this.
BFS - we are in the Gelug forum with this one, so the classic Madhyamika Prasangika presentation is pretty appropriate, though of course as Muni points out not everyone agrees. On the other hand in my limited experience most Gelug lamas don't really discuss Buddha Nature in great detail because it seems to them so simply clear from the prasangika context.
BFS

Post by BFS »

BFS - we are in the Gelug forum with this one, so the classic Madhyamika Prasangika presentation is pretty appropriate, though of course as Muni points out not everyone agrees.

Of course. That is why I posted this particular link in the Gelug forum.
On the other hand in my limited experience most Gelug lamas don't really discuss Buddha Nature in great detail because it seems to them so simply clear from the prasangika context.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama teaches on buddha nature in pretty great detail. Whatever, no problem, if I wanted to debate this I would have posted in the lounge, I just shared a teaching I thought might be useful. As always, please folks, if something I post is useful that is great, :twothumbsup: if not, be my guest and skip over to something that you think is. :twothumbsup:
mudra

Post by mudra »

Um, my little bad - was actually responding to Muni's remark.

As to HHDL teaching Buddha Nature in great detail it is true that HHDL teaches many things that most Gelug Lamas don't - Nyingma, Kagyu, Sakya etc. One obvious reason is that he has received so many of these teachings.
BFS

Post by BFS »

Um, my little bad - was actually responding to Muni's remark.

I understand.
No bad on your part, no problem. :smile:
muni

Post by muni »

Ah! Meant "other traditions", non-Tibetan regarding "difficulties" and creating ideas like Thubten Chodron La explain as well.

Mindful. Thank you for teaching.

Oh yes, try to explain better "clouds need not to prove the sky" : the meaning of the Buddha Nature is not dependent of our propositions or thoughts.
Therefore whatever people's concept forms about, is only artificially play.

Equality.

Return to “Gelug”