Do centipedes have any significance in Tibetan Buddhism?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Jangchup Donden

Do centipedes have any significance in Tibetan Buddhism?

Post by Jangchup Donden »

See topic.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Re: Do centipedes have any significance in Tibetan Buddhism?

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

If you enjoy frightening others, you will be reborn as a centipede.

Zabs-Dkar Tshogs-Drug-Ran-Grol. The Life of Shabkar: The Autobiography of a Tibetan Yogin. Albany: SUNY Press, 1994. p. 295.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Jangchup Donden

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:If you enjoy frightening others, you will be reborn as a centipede.

Zabs-Dkar Tshogs-Drug-Ran-Grol. The Life of Shabkar: The Autobiography of a Tibetan Yogin. Albany: SUNY Press, 1994. p. 295.
Anything else? I know scorpions have a place in a lot of practices. Anyways, I had a dream where my mala turned into a centipede (among other things) and was wondering if it had any significance.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Jangchup Donden wrote:
Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:If you enjoy frightening others, you will be reborn as a centipede.

Anything else? I know scorpions have a place in a lot of practices. Anyways, I had a dream where my mala turned into a centipede (among other things) and was wondering if it had any significance.
What else did it turn into, may I ask?

Kevin
Jangchup Donden

Virgo wrote:
Jangchup Donden wrote:

What else did it turn into, may I ask?

Kevin
That was it. The other things were more centipedes all over the place and coming out of things. I don't think I've been scaring anyone lately. :P
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Darn it. I seem to remember reading about centipedes in Tibetan Buddhism but I can't remember when and what the book said.

Was it in that Robert Beer book...

If anyone has The Encyclopedia of Tibetan Symbols and Motifs could you look up centipedes please?

EDIT: I looked in the e-book sample on amazon. The passage is cut-off but says it is one of the "five poisonous creatures" which are symbols for the five poisons. As the centipede is the third on the list I believe it is the symbol of Aversion.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

A 19th century Tibetan poet warned his fellow Buddhists that "if you enjoy frightening others, you will be reborn as a centipede."[15] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centipede" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tamm

Post by tamm »

I used the google books page and looked at Beer's encyclopedia of Tibetan Buddhist symbols and it said that lizards, toads, centipedes or spiders, scorpion, and snake represent the five poisons of ignorance, desire, hatred, jealousy, and pride (Beer, pg 75).
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

You can read something about it in this free ebook:
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/budglossary.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In page 844 of the document (its marked as 844 in the document itself; in the pdf reader - like Acrobat - the page is 864) you can read on the entry about "Visions":

"Dreaming scenes. If the events or scenes result from evil seeds, the
practitioner, in his dreams, may see various species of worms crawling
out of his body, or witness himself, night after night, removing from
his body six or seven loathesome creatures with many limbs, such as
scorpions or centipedes.
"

[the underlines are mine]

I didnt found anything more on that ebook related to centipedes or scorpions.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

I have always discussed my (strange) dreams with my teacher....I've had dreams of worms crawling out of my pores, and centipedes in beautiful bracelets....not always did I get a detailed explaination from my teacher......also i kept a dream diary.......dreams are important and significant in Tibetan Buddhism.....so I hope you discuss them with your teacher..... :namaste:
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

By the way, i save centipiedes from being crushed by a shoe in my house. Everytime i see one centipede i will put it out there carefully. I hope that this means something good too :P
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

If we saw no difference between a Buddha and a bug............my skin stills crawls when I see bugs....so I guess I'm still unenlightened......although they bug me less ....
username

Post by username »

Sometimes unpleasant things coming out is a sign of accomplishing Some practice or stage. However most dreams are karmic & it's best not to obsess or dwell too much on them in case they self perpetuate & just forget about it. Iinstead we are told to do dream practice preparation in daytime so we can eventually be aware & lucid in dreams making them useful.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

username wrote:Sometimes unpleasant things coming out is a sign of accomplishing Some practice or stage.
Or it could also be a sign of purification. But as username noted, it is best not to dwell too much on it, unless the dreams are getting more and more disturbing.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
emaho

Post by emaho »

Nosta wrote:By the way, i save centipiedes from being crushed by a shoe in my house. Everytime i see one centipede i will put it out there carefully. I hope that this means something good too :P
Haha, that certainly means something good, but I assume the centipedes symbolizing mental poisons are the really nasty ones like this one here:

phpBB [video]

you better make sure you stay away from those! They can be quite poisonous, too. Even for humans they can be dangerous. I'm really glad there are no centipedes like these in the area where I live.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Jangchup Donden

pueraeternus wrote:
username wrote:Sometimes unpleasant things coming out is a sign of accomplishing Some practice or stage.
Or it could also be a sign of purification. But as username noted, it is best not to dwell too much on it, unless the dreams are getting more and more disturbing.
Well accomplishment is certainly not me. :P But that's why I asked you guys instead of bothering my teacher about it, since most likely it meant nothing!
Jangchup Donden

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:
Nosta wrote:By the way, i save centipiedes from being crushed by a shoe in my house. Everytime i see one centipede i will put it out there carefully. I hope that this means something good too :P
Haha, that certainly means something good, but I assume the centipedes symbolizing mental poisons are the really nasty ones like this one here:

phpBB [video]

you better make sure you stay away from those! They can be quite poisonous, too. Even for humans they can be dangerous. I'm really glad there are no centipedes like these in the area where I live.
The creepy thing was that the centipedes in my dream were big ones like that guy (or gal?) there! Not pleasant!
Freja

Post by Freja »

Hi there - I am new to this site... I found this thread because I too had a centipede dream two days ago and I was looking to get some more insight into its meaning. I had a powerful dream about a giant centipede (I mean 1-2 feet long!) a year ago and I knew it was VERY important. I read up about them and found a bit which said sometimes they represent a warning of psychic attack. This confirmed my feelings because I had asked for a dream about a particular person who works in the psychic field. I felt something was very wrong about this person who was involved in my life but it was hard for me to put my finger on why. Anyway, the dream (a huge centipede coming out of the ceiling light fitting (Crown Chakra) and roaming around the walls of a room in my house while carefully avoiding the windows,) made it clear to me that she was invading my psychic space and trying to gain power / influence over me. (This also fits in with the symbolism of them being 'poison/ous', powerful 'chiefs' and scary.) In this instance the centipede was definitely an outside influence which I needed to protect myself from. When I carefully started to end the friendship her reaction only confirmed the warning.

The dream I had the other day was a little more intimate - the centipede came out of my vagina (sorry to be graphic!). It started off as some kind of 'novel' phallus I could produce at will, then it turned into a long thick snake like creature which I noticed had legs and was black - but the head was of a chimpanzee!! It had stopped being a phallus attached to my body and became a creature that seemed to want me to look after it like a baby. In the dream I was relating to the chimp 'baby' and completely ignoring it's grotesque, alien body.(Chimpanzee represents the as yet unevolved 'animal' or base element of a human being.) I remember thinking in the dream - there is no way THAT is going back inside my body... but it didn't occur to me it was something toxic I needed to get rid of - I was too busy feeling responsible for its welfare. I have had a couple of days to meditate on the meaning of this dream and I hope it may shed some light on your own dream because I have realised that once again it is about a psychic attack - in this instance relating to my sexual history with men. Someone mentioned in the post about cleansing - and that is exactly what I feel has happened; an 'evil seed' that was literally planted in my vagina through sexual assault when I was a child has finally, after many many years of work, been expelled! (Since the dream I have used visualisation to take the predator and burn it on the fire of transformation. I tried to banish it because I felt really guilty burning it, but it came back so I felt I had to for self preservation.)

Both dreams have come at very important points in my journey of spiritual development and this leads me to the conclusion that centipede in a dream is a very important sign. In your case it was your meditation beads that turned into the centipede which suggests you need to look at your spiritual practice. It could mean you are in the process of dispelling something toxic from your mind/psyche through your spiritual practice or it could mean you are being given a warning regarding some kind of psychic attack. Only you will know which it is by listening to your feelings about the dream and your intuition. If you are still not sure - you can meditate on it, ask for another dream for clarification or leave it be and trust the answer will come at the right time.

I hope this helps!

In Service,
Freja
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

tamm wrote:... it said that lizards, toads, centipedes or spiders, scorpion, and snake represent the five poisons of ignorance, desire, hatred, jealousy, and pride (Beer, pg 75).
That's a shame, but I'm sure their mothers love them.
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Do you have a guru? Have you been given wang/lung/tri for the yidam(s) you are reciting the mantras of?
Freja wrote:In your case it was your meditation beads that turned into the centipede which suggests you need to look at your spiritual practice.
I think Freja is onto something here. In particular, since centipedes are associated with poison within Vajrayana, I'd make sure to closely examine my practice of mantra and my state of mind during said practice. Perhaps your dream was a warning sign that your poisons are increasing, rather than decreasing, from such practice.

I must confess that, unfortunately, this was the case for me for a long time. I'd do what I felt drawn to, rather than what my gurus instructed me to do. Not only did this mean I was hopping around from practice to practice on a whim, but also I was creating the path as I went along. In the end, I read an excellent passage from Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche in the Intro to Jamgön Kongtrul's Torch of Certainty, and realized that this behavior was reinforcing my ego, not to mention reinventing the wheel.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”