Question about chanting Daimoku for great lengths of time

Re: Question about chanting Daimoku for great lengths of time

Postby rory » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:41 am

Jikan;
Nichiren identified himself with the bodhisattva Joygyo - Superior Conduct and that's it. Anything else is a sectarian invention. I've posted the quotes from authentic gosho (Nichiren's letters) and J.Stone the Nichiren scholar restates Nichiren's viewing himself as Jogyo in her work "Original Englightenement and the Transformation of Medieval Japanese Buddhism" p. 259

Nichiren taught; Although I myself may be insignificant, I propagate the Lotus Sutra and therefore am the envoy of Shakyamuni Buddha.(P333 On Various Actions, Shujyu Onfurumai Gosho, Selected Writings of Nichiren by CUP) more specifically in the other authentic gosho:

"Nichiren Shonin, if it is according to the Sutra, is the Saint who is the Messenger of the Tathagata [Buddha]Who Attained in the Long Past, the Descent (suijaku) of the Bodhisattva Jogyo, the Practicer of the Doctrine of the Original of the Hokkekyo, and the Great Teacher of the Fifth Five Hundred Years [sicne the Extinction of the Manifest Buddha]
Yorimoto chinjo, STN. v.2 1352

gassho
rory
rory

Re: Question about chanting Daimoku for great lengths of time

Postby OregonBuddhist » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:25 am

I have a quick question: Does anyone know how Nichiren Shu views this? To my understanding, Nichiren Shu teaches that Nichiren was not the Buddha. Thanks.
OregonBuddhist

Previous

Return to Nichiren