YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Is force/violence ever acceptable? - Dhamma Wheel

Is force/violence ever acceptable?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pilgrim

Is force/violence ever acceptable?

Postby pilgrim » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:59 am

It was established in another thread that a monk can strike out in self-defence. So if that is ok for a monk that would be fine for lay-people. But how about reasons below self defence like protecting your family and property? How about using force to recover something stolen from you like tackling a fleeing thief?

ajahndoe

Re: Is force/violence ever acceptable?

Postby ajahndoe » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:11 am

There are no perfect answers or scenarios. Please take the following as it seems reasonable to you.

Self-defense is acceptable insofar as the intent is to protect life. If an attacker were to come at you, violence would be acceptable to defend your life as long as the intent is not to kill the attacker.

I don't know what to say for the thief scenario, except the same. Remain mindful of your intent. Do not do harm for the sake of attachment, this does worse for your state of mind than to lose that to which you're attached.

ground

Postby ground » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:16 am

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:24 am

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:53 am

ground

Postby ground » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:16 am

robertk

Postby robertk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Funnily enough I helped with bringing a thief down if a couple of years ago. He knocked down an old lady and grabbed her handbag.
One large gentleman ran after him and I followed until the big man brought him down. He then asked me to hold him while he went back for his children. I put a hold on him till the police arrived and carted him away. Got a bit of a write up in the local rag and it turned out the hero was an off duty cop and captain of the local rugby team..

But even in more serious incidents I would have no trouble in dishing out a respectable level of hard out defense, if warranted, but I am not a monk.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”