My morning practice now has been streamlined, due to my recent lack of time. It goes something like this:
- Incense chant
- Various mantra to cleanse my 10 sins, cleanse the area, offer
- A chant to praise Buddha
- Make offering, usually water and the flower of my heart (sometimes also flowers, fruits and incense), to Buddha, Bodhisattva, Dharma protectors and the sarira of the Buddha, some of his personal students and other arahant/monk
- Refuge to the Triple Gems
- Recite the Casket Seal Dharani 7 times
(- If it is the 15th or last day of a lunar month, recite the Five Precepts)
- The 4 Bodhisattva vows
- Various mantra to make complete the above practice and share karma
- Share karma
I used to recite other dharani, mantra and sutra, such as the Great Compassionate Dharani, the Heart Sutra, the Cundi Mantra etc. Now I will only recite a selection of them when I have time, like during a weekend day.
Sometimes I cannot get up early enough, see my newborn baby daughter and have enough time to do everything in preparation to leave for work, and so will do the above supposedly-morning practice together with my evening practice, preta-dana. I know, not best practice, so I shall improve on this.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!