- It is not right to say you have to be drafted in & regimented into years of ngondro etc then experience rigpa, even if qualified "for most". Ngondro became established & widespread since the middle ages. Also Dudjom Rinpoche said in modern times many people do not have so much time so he made a short ngondro and even taught it without completion of it to many. Also in ancient times there was no need to wait years before introduction.
- The inner heart essence of all Buddhist teachings, ultimate nirvana tathagatha buddha-nature etc., is ultimately realized within Dzogchen/Essence Mahamudra. Getting those teachings first and/or a DI or Pointing Out helps immensely prior to undertaking the precious lower yana studies. Not the other way round.
- How many people get what out of sacred DI/PO is only known to a fully enlightened Buddha. Quantifying these precious events' results and fruits by beginners like us is futile and harmful.
- It is best not to get too fixated on conceptualizing Rigpa as a target but just relax and practice and integrate mindfulness presence or instant presence of nature of mind's awareness as often as possible instead.
- Masters say even the few who do not make much progress will have a relaxed life and good connections and much more but the majority will make good progress given other capacity stages: attendance, continuity, diligence, essence integration of state & other methods regularly.
- It is not just one master that does this. Many recent masters gave DI & high teachings to all sorts of people like Dudjom, TUR, Nyuoshol Khen, Adieu Rinpoche, Achuk, etc. Masters still do that like ChNN, Tsokney Rinpoche, etc. As did historic ancient lineage masters prior to ngondro etc.
- Also it is not right to say after filtering numerous people through the years a few get rigpa. This is false. Many masters have said lots of people in the world who never heard of these things amongst billions, some say most, experience rigpa at some times. But they do not know what it is and practitioners who do should nurture it and not abandon it like a baby on the battlefield.
- It is not good to make generalizations and quantification of other people and sanghas if someone does not know the above basics. As mentioned, it can turn into negativeness and obstacles.
- One can
a) Go through ngondro, 3 roots, tsa-lung, trekcho, thogal etc. or Thogal then trekcho as in Palyul
b) Take Dzogchen as a sole complete path/yana (it'S own prelims, 3 series etc. as was originally). Immediate Dzogchen/Mahamudra teachings and/or DI/PO etc. as did great masters mentioned above or the founding founders of lineage did.
c) Do both a & b simultaneously
The exception being very few masters who emphasize that once under them you should not take Dzogchen teachings from others. But this is extremely rare and the overwhelming majority of Dzogchenpas are free to do both methods or just the one and have many teachers. Which is the historic norm. So most debates on a) or b) are not only circular but completely useless. Do either or both as you wish.
- Finally it is wrong to say Rigpa is this or that, it is ineffable and has many manifestations, not just one.http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Rigpa
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes